Ramps for backs of vans

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

elody21

Hi everyone,

Please don't get mad at me because this is not about pens! Be nice.
I have not been around much lately. Last year I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. It involves many symptoms but the worst is 24/7 pain, fatigue and I am forbidden to do any heavy lifting!!! Two years ago I was cutting up and hauling downed trees and lifting sheets of corian! Any way just before the diagonsis I had bought a new Powermatic 3520 with the dream of making large items! Large items take large logs and both of my kids are away at college and my husband is gone alot.
I already was very bad. I spotted a very large downed limb of a boxelder tree a few weeks ago, got permission and went to work one it on a very cold midwest day, chainsawing and somehow getting these huge logs into my van. When I got home I precended to unload them and get them in the back so I would not get caught by my husband doing something I was not supposed to do. Well I paid dearly for it suffering several days in terrible pain.

I know this is has nothing to do with penturning but with all those intelligent guys and gals out there I have a question. Does anyone have an idea how I could get logs into my windstar van without killing myself?! Do they make some kind of ramp for the back or one of those ramps with many rolls on it? I could make something but would prefer to buy, if something like this is avalible.

My husband is already putting up a pully system for me to get the logs to the lathe.

I am not giving up doing pens. I just needed a change. My timing could not have been worse!

Thanks for listening to something other than pen talk.

Alice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dancrafted

Hi Alice sorry about you illness. I know that there are sever units with with a swing out arm that are available for pickups I certainly one of these could be modified to mount in the back of a van. I believe harbor frieght sell an inexpensive one.

Mikey

Soory to hear what has happened to you, but also commend you for not giving up on what you love.

I have seen ramps that people use for ATV and motorcycles to put into pickups which I'm sure would work if you could roll the log. As to rollers, the best guess from me would be a conveyor system like they use at warehouses. On most of the flat and downhill sections they use regular unpowered rollers with bearings. If you get lucky and find either a large warehouse or one in which a company is moving, upsizing or downsizing, you may be able to get a few 3 or 4 foot sections. They aren't light, but you could probably side them in and out of your van. Also, with the conveyor rollers, there is space between the rollers, so if you had to rest while pushing a log up the rollers, you could jam a stick down between the rollers into the ground to keep the load fropm moving back down.

Rifleman1776

Very sorry about your illness. Glad to see your spirit keeps you going and your husband is supportive. Rather than devices to get logs into the van, if you have a trailer hitch, you might consider a low trailer like the type ATVs are hauled on. These are tilt-beds and low to the ground. Would still be some grunt work but rolling rather than lifting could get them on. And you could install a winch, either electric or a boat type hand crank one on the front to drag them on. Good luck.

Thumbs

Alice, I'm so sorry to hear of your miseries! I have been unable to do much heavy lifting of late, also. My pickup truck has a 2inch trailer hitch receiver which I mounted a jury rigged lift crane contraption which enables me to lift a few hundred pounds with relative ease. It just slides into the receiver by using 2 " tube stock , fairly heavy duty steel. The crane lift (like a shop lift for engines, whatever) is bolted on to that. I hook the cable onto a set of slings and lift away. Just by pumping up the hydraulic jack attached. The lift arm can be lengthened or shortened as needed. It has a manual winch for dragging stuff as well. The only drawback is that it does require a bit of swing room which is ok with my old pickup. I don't know how much room you have or need. But there are cheap 12v electric winches available from places like Sam's Club from time to time, too. Hope this helps some.[:)]
=========================
I like Frank's idea ,too! I guess economics will be a factor, too.

Fred in NC

Sorry to hear about your illness, Alice. I know a couple of people that suffer from it, so I am aware. I am glad you are not just giving up on turning !!!

A ramp sounds good, but if you can pull the load with a winch it will be easier. Maybe a platform or cart on wheels that can go up and down the ramp. Lots of us will be thinking and coming up with suggestions.

dancrafted

Some thing like this could be modified to fit in the back of a van. I swore I saw something similar at HF.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=7179&R=7179&cm_ven=TL&cm_pla=DF&cm_ite=auto

Dario

Sorry to hear about your illness. Don't be sorry to ask anything. Ypurs is actually turning related...others (me included) ask for totally off topic and that is fine too!!!

I like the swingout arm that Daniel showed...I think that is your best bet.

Thumbs

That is essentially my rig except I spent about a $100 for the lift crane at harbor freight with a manual winch, tubing, and extra mounting plates. I found an electric winch at Sams for $69 I think I saved quite a bit and when I don't want it in the way I pull two pins and two clips and it's in the corner of my garage![;)]

Ron Mc

Alice,
First off I love your spirit and look forward to seeing your next turning.
If you just need ramps that will allow logs to be pulled into the back of your van you can buy a kit at the big Orange box store that will let you make ramps out of 2 x 10" studs. I have a 400 pound compressor that I need to find a way t5o get in the back of my truck and these works great! Easy to make and well works the I believe 40 dollars I spent.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Alice,
Wondered where you went!! Sorry to hear your health has been a problem.

Combine the above ideas. Put a "crane" on your trailer hitch, then extend the hitch to handle a small, open trailer. Wood gets heavy quickly, so a 5x5 trailer will weigh almost 1000 pounds when loaded, so a big trailer is pretty useless for this purpose.

You could sit in the rear of the Windstar and use the crane to do all the lifting-one ton winch is under $200.

Hope you find a good solution-look forward to hearing from you regularly again.

I drive a van and I keep the last seat out. On the floor I have a sheet of plywood about 2' wide and 52" long. I've rolled up many 200+ logs with no problems.

I've been thinking of getting a hoist to make my life even simpler. I've been looking at one that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Instead of the plywood I'm thinking of using two 2x4 about 5' to 6' long.

Glad your still working on the lathe Alice

elody21

I am overwelmed with all of the responses! Thanks to everyone with their ideas!! I am going to let my husband read all of them and we'll see which one will work best. Thanks again for the help. I knew I could count on you guys!! Alice[:X]

TomServo

HF sells a crane that fits in a receiver hitch... i think it's on sale right now in the current flyer - under $200 i believe.. rated to 500 lbs.. edit: I am at work and limited to searching the HF site - I couldn't find the crane I mentioned.

Bed-mounted cranes... This might be a good option depending on how much you're willing to modify the van. Also depends on how much headroom it would eat up, etc. You could probably make something out of a pile of 2x4s and some various parts, plus some pulleys and rope.
$129 hand crank plus hydraulic cylinder - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=37555
$83 hydraulic - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=1647

There's also a hitch lift - $200 Probably won't get it close enough to the back of the van, though.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47591

Spike

me and my dad built a ramp for our mini van out of a piece of 1/2x14x48 piece of plywood 2 45" 2x4s and a paino hinge. cut the plywood inhalf attach the hinge and the 2x4 on both side for rigity. it weigths about 80 pounds though, but you could drill holes in the 2x4 to reduce the weight.

53Jim

How about combining alot of the ideas, and adding just a bit more... MY first thought was to use a piece of roller track, like they use for unloading trucks at grocery stores, and a block and tackle set-up.

The only bad thing is that this will only get the wood into the van, NOT out.

Just MY thoughts.
Good luck, and hope the health issues get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom