R/C Airplane

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sumterdad

Just wondering if any on this site fly any r/c airplanes. I have to a few but just haven't had time this year to fly. Hopefully after the first I will get the wings back in the air.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eldee

Great hobby. I've been idle for many years but still have three helis. The fixed wings have been gone for quite a while.

Gadget

I have 9 planes currently. I dont get to fly a lot but love the sport! I only fly electric, the local field doesn't allow gas. I'm looking to sell or trade a couple planes. If you guys think messing up a pen is frustrating, try flying and smashing a $300+ plane into the ground!

ulmon

I have to agree, this is really a great hobby, though quite tedious at that. It would really require time and effort for you to be accomplished with it.

I started with a small remote controlled helicopter actually and then moved forward to gilders which I could say was pretty serious already. Though much of the interest actually stemmed from my love for remote controlled cars.

louie68

I have a 50"rotor wing helecopter gas supplied remote "Champion" German made vintage purchase in 1988 23 years old if anyone is interested.

nsfr1206

I certainly used to fly fixed wing and have had some helis. Not much luck with the helis. Too scared to be committed I guess. One fairly minor crash with a heli can set you back $100! Have sold pretty much everything.

sumterdad

:Ihave tried helis on the simulator and had no luck. So I never tried to get one for real other than one of the easy fly copters. My c'est crash came while I was training to solo. At our feildthere is a large cell phone tower at the far end and has been there before the field was there. The guy who was training me had eye surgery earlier that week:eek: was telling me that it looked a little too far out but it would be ok. So he told me to start my turn to land and int the middle of the turn all we could hear was a loud thump off of that metal tower. Cell phone company said that they would not send someone out to get it down well what was left of it. So that has been my only crash so far. But I got right back at it and can't wait till I get a free wkend to go fly again. I have two gas ones now. But I think I would like a small electric.

Finatic

I crashed almost everything I built. Loved to fly slope glider at cape cod and had several giant scale WW I planes. Haven't flown now in 10 years.

Carl Fisher

I don't fly much but I have and can fly. I still have some kinks to work out on the heli's though.

I do however race 1/8 and 1/10 both nitro and electric. Talk about a hobby that drains your money...

Rick P

I have always been interested in RC but never had the money or time. Tracy got a toy helicopter for our son Gunther but it is too advanced for him. I have been having a blast chasing my wife and the dog around the house with it! It's even got little missiles that shoot........not in any way the same class as you guys are talking but a lot of fun!

sumterdad

I have always been interested in RC but never had the money or time. Tracy got a toy helicopter for our son Gunther but it is too advanced for him. I have been having a blast chasing my wife and the dog around the house with it! It's even got little missiles that shoot........not in any way the same class as you guys are talking but a lot of fun!

Yea I find those a blast to fly but I could never for the scale heli. Carl did you ever attend one of the races down here Sumter.

Rob73

My father used to take me flying back in my early teens. Was a fun hobby, though quite expensive. First plane we got was electric. It was a huge disappointment, after the couple weeks of building the plane and then finding out the motor didn't have enough balls to get off the ground.. oh man we were not happy lol. Even throwing it in the air it still did not have enough power to climb to a decent height before failing.... Course electric these days is much better and planes are much cheaper. So much pre-built planes running around now.

We eventually switched to gas and had a blast. Had a trainer plane, then moved on to piper cub & a zero. The field we used had a club and every year they would have huge events. Guys with ungodly huge planes with chain saw motors would come out. Big WWII bombers would make bombing runs using flour bombs. Goal was to hit circle targets on the ground. Dog fight matches that used ribbons on the back of the plane... whoever cut it closest wins. Jets.. The jets were always cool to watch. Pole races.. which I always secretly desired for one of those guys to take his wings off on a pole lol. Finally the helicopter guys... now these were full size copters, not like this little toy crap you see flying around today and they were big.

I may get back into it one day as one of my friends has been working for one of the major hobby companies for many years.. He can score me some real good deals from time to time..

We had one guy that got really hurt on the field. He got the copter down but didn't let it slow down enough and when he approached it he went to far and it took a good 2.5" chunk of flesh out his calf. It was nasty.

sumterdad

Yea you have to be very careful. I almost took out a chuck of my gut when cranking it up the throttle stuck wide open. My gallon of fuel is what fought the propeller and stopped it. Whew that was close.

Carl Fisher

Carl did you ever attend one of the races down here Sumter.

I've raced the Watermelon classic a few times now which is in Aiken at Outlaw Raceway. Most of my racing is done up this way in the Charlotte area but my favorite track is over in Myrtle (Badlands)

qballizhere

I have not flew one in years. My grandfather use to build them for many years. Last time i checked his plans were still being sold in the UK for a few of the WW2 fighter planes. Can remember as a kid helping him on them and his gliders, and grandma yelling at how much he was spending on them.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I started with control line back in '59, had a couple of escapement RCs in the '60s and then got into RCs with HobbyLobby in the 70's and early '80s. Spent 25+ years in Japan and it was too crowded in the areas that I was in to fly them. I did build a few RC cars and trucks during my time in Japan and enjoyed them immensely. I returned home to the US last December and intend to get back into flying with some new electrics by spring time with my grandkids.

I do have a couple of RC electrics that I flew with my grandsons in the past 10 years when I would come back for a few weeks vacation each year, but those electrics are not in the best shape due to trying to teach the grandkids :wink:. It has been worth it though!

Kenessl

I also started with control line and model rockets back in grade school. I moved up to RC after I joined the Air Force. I was stationed in Germany, and mainly flew gliders. We did have access to the runway at Wiesbaden Air Base, I had a Super Hotts that was a blast to fly. I still have quite a few powered planes along with severa gliders. I am not able to see as well as I use to, so they have been retired for the most part. One of these days, I'll put them up for sale on e-bay.
Ken

Top Bottom