Questions for knife makers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWK5150

I have never made a knife. You can purchase blades and such from CS. Im interested in makeing a few and making some for my mother as well. Guess my question is how do you make the handles and attach them?? Most knifes I see are just riveted together it looks like.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

usually epoxy is used to attach the scales to the knife with pins or rivets running though both the knife scales and the metal. If you are interested I will sell you a couple knife making books cheap. Send me a PM if interested.

Rifleman1776

Don, your "just rivited together" comment is comparable to saying a surgeon just "cuts them open and takes out the bad stuff". It's not quite that simple. Accept the books, knifemaking is an avocation unto itself. Putting scales (handles, grips) on a pre-made knife blade is a good place to start. Six months from now, tell us about your new forge. [:0][:p]

PenPauli

Vic I would like to purchase one or two of your books if Don doesnt want them. I am looking into making some knives myself.. Thanks Paul

Rifleman1776

This topic reminded me.....[:0] Years ago, I bought an old saw mill blade, about 3 feet in diameter. My intention was to cut it into blades and make knives. Well, folks, I learned something about old blade steel. A hacksaw wouldn't touch it. Even one of those round, diamond imbedded blades for hacksaws would hardly scratch the rust. I was told a welding torch would ruin the temper. Somebody directed me to a guy with a CNC high pressure water cutter thingy. He wanted $30.00 per blade to cut out. Needless to say, the blade is still intact waiting for me to sell at a yard sale to a painter or whatever. I would still like to cut up into knife blades but am stymied at this point.

btboone

Frank, a laser will also cut the parts, but won't have the cutting forces of the waterjet. I imagine the price could come down a lot from $30 per blade. Maybe $200 for the whole batch cut up.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by btboone
<br />Frank, a laser will also cut the parts, but won't have the cutting forces of the waterjet. I imagine the price could come down a lot from $30 per blade. Maybe $200 for the whole batch cut up.

Thanks. But I believe it would be easier to find Bigfoot in my neck of the woods than a laser cutter like you describe.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />
Originally posted by btboone
<br />Frank, a laser will also cut the parts, but won't have the cutting forces of the waterjet. I imagine the price could come down a lot from $30 per blade. Maybe $200 for the whole batch cut up.

Thanks. But I believe it would be easier to find Bigfoot in my neck of the woods than a laser cutter like you describe.

http://www.thomasnet.com/arkansas/laser-cutting-services-43277201-1.html

Try this Frank.

2 In Russellville (where I have some land)
1 in FT Smith

http://www.thomasnet.com/arkansas/cutting-services-water-jet-21533906-1.html

1 water jet cutter to [:D]

Not sure if a high speed plasma cutter would mess up temper but you might want to look into that also.

Not sure what cost would be but you might be able to sell some of the blanks to offset the cost.

Rifleman1776

Thanks for the info. I looked up one of the laser guys in Arkansas. Theirs will only go through 1/8" steel. The blade is closer to 1/4". Oh, well. It is one of those 'some day' projects. I also was told a plasma cutter, whatever that is, would do it.

M

Mudder

<br />Thanks for the info. I looked up one of the laser guys in Arkansas. Theirs will only go through 1/8" steel. The blade is closer to 1/4". Oh, well. It is one of those 'some day' projects. I also was told a plasma cutter, whatever that is, would do it.

I'm not too familiar with plasma cutters so the best I can do is refer you to the definition.

http://www.desertrides.com/reference/terms.php#P

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
<br />Thanks for the info. I looked up one of the laser guys in Arkansas. Theirs will only go through 1/8" steel. The blade is closer to 1/4". Oh, well. It is one of those 'some day' projects. I also was told a plasma cutter, whatever that is, would do it.

I'm not too familiar with plasma cutters so the best I can do is refer you to the definition.

http://www.desertrides.com/reference/terms.php#P

Here is what Mudder found:
"plasma cutter : a tool used to cut steel and other materials. Plasma cutters work by sending an electric arc through a gas that is passing through a constricted opening. The gas can be shop air, nitrogen, argon, oxygen. etc. This elevates the temperature of the gas to the point that it enters a 4th state of matter. We all are familiar with the first three: i.e., solid, liquid, and gas. Scientists call this additional state plasma. As the metal being cut is part of the circuit, the electrical conductivity of the plasma causes the arc to transfer to the work. The restricted opening (nozzle) the gas passes through causes it to sqeeze by at a high speed, like air passing through a venturi in a carburetor. This high speed gas cuts through the molten metal. The gas is also directed around the perimeter of the cutting area to shield the cut."

Thanks for the info. Not sure what all that means. But, after reading it, I do believe I have entered the 4th state.....[:0]

Dario

So much science to it...I used (well not me physically) plasma cutter in most of my construction projects and never really understood how they work...until now. How ironic LOL.

One thing I can tell you...plasma cutter can cut through 1" steel beam like hot knife through butter (at least the ones we used).

Frank, if you see a general contractor, chances are they own one (or two). I am sure that blade of yours will be in blank pieces with just a couple six-pack [;)]. Visit a construction site (with steel fab going on) an hour or so before knock-off and talk to the super [;)] [}:)]

PenWorks

Yep, a plasma cutter is on my list, unfortunately, it is a long list. I have 6 damascus blades sitting in my to do bin for a couple of months now. [:(!]

PenWorks

Don, they are ready to go, cut, sharpened & polished. I just need to find the time to make the handles.
OOps, I guess I have 8 to make [:D]

200612745121_damascus_knives.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom