A Question on Rollerball Refills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

From one who should probably know the answer. Yesterday I had a customer try out writing with one of my rollerballs, and the ink in the refill had tried up. I told him that it was due to age, popped in a new refill had had him write with it. After he left, I tested several more, and some had dried and others had not. These were top of the line Schmidts. My question is how long do RB refills last once installed in the pen and the pen kept capped when not in use? I am now considering taking the refills out of all my rollerballs, save one or two for testing purposes, and then installing a new one only after one has been purchased. Any thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I am sorry I don't know the answer. However, that whole lot may have been old. I do tell my customers, gift recipients, and even practice it myself to immediately return the cap to the pen after writing with it. I keep the cap in my none-writing hand that that has helped a lot, but not with the immediate out-of-wrapper problem.

Here's something interesting. I equip every one of my roller balls with a 5888, however, I also give my customer a G2 pilot refill. I actually have close to 0 issues with them and I actually prefer they way the write. I just don't like giving my recipient a 80 cent refill will $60+ pen.

Go figure. I hope someone else can answer this.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
From one who should probably know the answer. Yesterday I had a customer try out writing with one of my rollerballs, and the ink in the refill had tried up. I told him that it was due to age, popped in a new refill had had him write with it. After he left, I tested several more, and some had dried and others had not. These were top of the line Schmidts. My question is how long do RB refills last once installed in the pen and the pen kept capped when not in use? I am now considering taking the refills out of all my rollerballs, save one or two for testing purposes, and then installing a new one only after one has been purchased. Any thoughts?

That is EXACTLY what I did when we did shows.
Not only do you have a time factor, we took them in and out of the car, they sat outside in summer heat, froze for a couple hours in the car or trailer on the way home, in the winter--in short we did everything we tell customers NOT to do. So, yes, I took out all the refills and springs (so they did not open the pen and drop the spring).

As an aside, I started telling people they would get a brand new, fresh refill, not one that had seen several shows (with 500 pens on display, it is pretty obvious they don't ALL sell in a month). Actually helped increase my sales!

Last edited:

jcm71

Thanks, Tony and Ed, for the feedback. That's what I do with my ballpoints. I assemble them with the generic refill. After a customer writes with it, I hand them an Easy Flow and have them write with it as well. After the purchase is made I swap out the refills for them. I agree it helps sales. Tony, I'll have to try the G2s.

Last edited:

TonyL

The Pilot G-2s that are buy are labelled Premium Gel Refills, Fine, .07mm. Item #77240, 2 for $1.80 or something like that. You can also definitely see the ink level. The housings are clear. I get them at Wal-mart.

gtriever

Thanks, John, for the heads-up. Looks like it's time to start checking the older stock. The next question is, how long should spare refills sit on the shelf?

turncrazy43

Have had the same problem with RB's that have a little age on them. When Customer wants to test them I put a new refill in and they usually will buy them at that point. Age does appear to contribute to the drying out. I suspect as soon as the little cover is remove to install the refill the clock starts to run on them. Ball points do not seem to have that same problem.
Turncrazy43

Top Bottom