Question - Need ideas please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Big

This is probably a stupid question and if so, I apologize. As a complete novice to the craft I have so much to learn. I am going to immerse myself into the videos and library and have already spent many hours watching the videos that I have found on Youtube and people's sites.

If you have a specific question, let's say about making molds for casting acrylic for example, can you identify "experts" on the forums who might be able to mentor or help with the process? Such as pointing you in the right direction for where to get specific materials, or tips on how to best handle the acrylic, or getting rid of the bubbles without a PV.

I have had both hips replaced and am getting ready to have to have the left one redone. I just had surgery on my right ankle bone and am currently having to use a boot and a scooter device called a "Knee Walker". My point in telling you this is because I sometimes to often will have to resort to using a cane. With that in mind, I have been wanting to make and customize canes. My thinking was to apply pen making skills and tricks to making canes such as using carbon fibre and then pouring acrylic to make cane blanks. This would require making molds large enough for a cane shaft and would also take quite a bit of resin. Then I will have to figure out the necessary hardware for cane heads and attaching them. So, I was wondering if we have some folks in the community that might have some ideas or be able to help me brainstorm and figure this project out? I would love to do a line of customized canes for people at the Navy base and VA here in Pensacola as well as other ideas that I would apply to the canes.

Just some thoughts for you to consider.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

There is a little information around on making canes from wood. In fact, I think Capt. Eddie even did a video on that subject (is there a subject he HASN'T done a video on?).

The key point that I recall from what I've seen and read is that canes are typically turned in short (10-15") segments that screw together to make the final length. There are threaded brass couplers that are available to make that join. I don't know who offers these - they are a niche item - but a web search might turn up something. Not knowing for sure, my first place to look might be Lee Valley.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I would start with a call to Alumilite. The first concern would be safety---can a resin be used to support weight? If the pressure is completely "downward", probably would work, but what if a person is losing their balance and uses the cane to steady themselves--the cane could be at an angle of 15 to 30 degrees, I would think. Could the cane break??

You may need to cast around a steel rod.

I don't know the answers here, but if I were you I would write out some questions and contact manufacturers to be certain their material will perform.

Sylvanite

Carbon fiber can be used to make a cane that is plenty strong enough (stronger than aluminum canes). Carbon fiber tubes are typically laid up around a (often tapered) cylindrical form inside either a hard mold or a vacuum bag. That uses minimal resin. I would not recommend Alumilite (urethane) resin in a load-bearing application. I'd use a structural epoxy resin such as West 105 (with clear 207 hardener).

Regards,
Eric

plantman

You could also go to smooth-on.com. Theyhave everything needed for mould making and casting, plus a ton of videos on how to use their products. Also the library on this site has many tips on how to make mould and casting. Jim S

Scott

My first thoughts would be that a resin cast would be heavy and could be prone to shattering, especially if there were any side pressures being applied. I have made a few canes of wood, and even some of the denser woods seemed heavy. My preference was to turn the shaft in one piece using a bed extension and a steady. But if you were to do shorter sections then join them together, that would be easier to turn. Also, if you used shorter sections you could include some resin sections as accents. I had a friend cast a snakeskin around a steel shaft, and was going to use it for accent between the shaft and the handle. I think it will look cool! I hope this helps.

Scott.

Big

Wow, thanks to all of you guys. Good information and I will be following up. Please keep the tips and suggestions coming and thank you for doing so. I very much appreciate any and all help. I was thinking that canes would be fun and neat to do in addition to the pens. I am very interested in the casting/molding aspect too. Much to learn so all information is invaluable for me.

KenV

Good Morning Michael --

A good ambition -- but not without a bunch of challenges. I have degenerative arthritic ankles and know about knee walkers, braces, canes, and walking sticks. I turn mostly from a stool.

I have made canes and walking sticks, but mostly use adjustable ones, as the length can vary depending on the next round of orthopedic footwear, or conditions. The latest value are being sold by Costco for $28 a pair -- carbon fiber, replaceable feet, and a comfortable vertical grip that serves as a knob top. Light, collapses for airplane use, and has no sharp pointy things (ice points) that cause TSA to get concerned.

I suggest you start with wood and gain some experience in both the production, but also in the adjustment of lengths. Grain orientation is important, but hickory, ash, maple and similar hardwood, especially riven blanks will get you sense of weight and balance better developed as you turn and test these "prototypes".

Grip areas present great opportunity for embellishments and can give you positive opportunities to test short sections of core materials for strength and durability.

The Grip connections are the classic design conundrum -- how to make it light and keep it strong/durable because you do NOT want it to fail under emergency loading.

Good luck and I hope you will share your experiences.

Woodkiller

I was just thinking about this myself last week and was in the process of figuring it out too. Ill type up what I have come up with so far and pm it to you shortly.

Top Bottom