Question for Anthony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ldimick

Anthony,

What is the nicest fountain pen that you have used? And by nicest I mean from a writing perspective - yours obviously look the best. And what writing qualities made it the nicest? Size, smooth, flow, etc.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

That is a tough question Lynn, I have a lot of favorites and wouldn't want to offend any one pen inparticular. [:D] I write alot during the day, I ussually go threw 1 or 2 converters on ink a day. I have about 12 FP inked by my desk. I can tell you for now, I am using my new Emperor the most, fine gold Bexley nib, my Turban top , med. gold, Lamy plastic Safari, fine steel, and a Parker Duofold med gold and my faithfull stand by a Jr gent with a steel caligraphy nib. I grab any one paticular pen for a purpose. If I know I am going to be writing alot non stop, I go for my Parker or Lamy, very light pens, feels like nothing in your hand. If I am infront of a client, taking notes, signing my name, allways my Emperor or Turban Top. But all these pens have the same writing quality, they lay down a line without any pressure to the nib at all. They seem to float on the paper. Not all FP will do that. I have sent a gold nib Delta back to the factory because it wouldn't write, I have a Pilot vanishing point that doesn't write. I polish some of my nibs to smooth them out and hope to learn how to grind some nibs and open up some ink channels to increase the ink flow. All you can ask of a FP, is that it glides on the paper, lays down the line you want and doesn't skip. As far as pen weight, I think if you have several to choose from, it is how you feel that day. So, as far as the nicest pen.....well I would never be caught with just one nice pen [:D]

ldimick

DO you think the larger the nib (not the point) the smoother the pen? My favorite is a Statesman and I think it's because of the flex in the nib which I don't get with the smaller nibs.

woodscavenger

Anthony, how did you get a Bexley nib on your emporer? Do you have to switch out the nib, the nib and feeder.......how much do you have to tear it down to put the Bexley in?

PenWorks

It may have something to do with it. I like the looks of a larger nib. But my samll gold nibs write just like my large ones. I also have a Lamy 2000 FP that you can barely see the nib sticking out, and it writes nice.

Shane I had a couple lying around from before I started getting my own made. My nibs and Bexley's are made at the same place and are very simular. I just took the nib out from the Bexley housing and put it in a new feed and housing from mine and it worked great.

PenWorks

Something else I will pass along. When talking with Lamy Bob, the repair guy for Lamy in the states. He said Dr. Lamy will not sell 18K nibs in the States. He said,Americans don't know how to write with 18K nibs and the repair work they were getting back on the nibs was very high. So they went to 14K nibs for the States. (slap in the face)
When I talked with Bock in Germany, they state there is no difference in flex between 14K & 18K and that flex is designed into the nib by way of manufacturing.
Also, alot has to do with the feed system. I had another batch of large nibs made. Well I am still waiting to get a new batch of feeds and housings. Seems the manufacturer that makes the feeds and housings for Bock, up and change material and the new feeds don't work good. Now you would think these folks would have their act together by now.
So I am sitting on a batch of nibs waiting for feeds and housings. At least I give them credit for not shipping an inferior product out.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Anthony, when I spoke to Richard Binder the other day, I mentioned I had availablity to 14K gold nibs for our kit pens.
He stated that he was happy to see that they were not 18K nibs... he said that 14K is a better nib material overall...

btboone

I went to a pen store and asked the owner which nib he thought was best. He had me try an S.T. Dupont pen. Wow, that wrote nicely. Those guys have got it going on! Great looking designs and the ultimate in writing performance.

Scott

Anthony mentioned the cheap plastic Lamy Safari is one he keeps around. I bought one (in red) from him a while back, and I have to say it is one sweet writing pen! Steel nib and all! So smooth on the paper - it is just a dream to write with!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom