Question about kit names

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

So many Vendors........So many Kit names.

Is there a spread sheet (Cheat Sheet) with the names of the different kits from different Vendors and how they are interchangable?

Just to many for me to remember which ones are which. :bulgy-eyes:
Thank you for the help everyone.
W

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

Is there a spread sheet (Cheat Sheet) with the names of the different kits from different Vendors and how they are interchangable?

The charts are great and no doubt a whole lot of work. But they don't really answer the question that was asked.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no single chart or cheat sheet that tells you that a Berea Sierra = a Woodcraft Wall Street = a Woodturningz Mesa = a PSI Gatsby.

I'm not 100% sure that such a chart would help a lot since each different manufacturer has a little different dimensions on the kits. Wall Street bushings won't work well on Sierras (DAMHIKT). I know there are patent considerations in pen kits and one vendor doesn't want to buy kits from another one, but it sure would make our lives simpler if there was just on Sierra style pen that everyone sold.

stonepecker

Thank you everyone for your information........it will be a big help for me.

Without getting to deep into the discussion from last night . . . . I learn that there is no such thing as a 10 mm or 7 mm pen kit. I did learn that all kits depend on the size of the components and the INSIDE DIMENSIONS of the tube. (It took me a while after the conversation to understand this.) That begins to explain alot to me as to why the difference between kits. Second thing.......we are talking THOUSANDth's (sp) of an inch in difference. something that can make a good fit or a great fit to a pen kit. :eek:
Now, I am going to have to rethink a little bit before placing my next order with anyone. Having to 'repair' a kit to make it work.......or changing out a part that isn't correctly manufactered isn't something I want to continue to do. Quality kits at a fair price, that are usable as they are designed, is what I will be looking for.

Comments? Opinions? I am listening to everyone. :biggrin:

Last edited:

JimB

The charts are great and no doubt a whole lot of work. But they don't really answer the question that was asked.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no single chart or cheat sheet that tells you that a Berea Sierra = a Woodcraft Wall Street = a Woodturningz Mesa = a PSI Gatsby.

I'm not 100% sure that such a chart would help a lot since each different manufacturer has a little different dimensions on the kits. Wall Street bushings won't work well on Sierras (DAMHIKT). I know there are patent considerations in pen kits and one vendor doesn't want to buy kits from another one, but it sure would make our lives simpler if there was just on Sierra style pen that everyone sold.

Why would you want just one style of Sierra? There are differences between the styles and some folks prefer one style over another. If there was only one there wouldn't be price competition, improvements to the design or other options. Do you only offer your customers one style of pen to make their choice easy?

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Wayne, there are a million kits out there. I've found a few I like, and that is all that I make. I also only make about 10 pens a month so it's easy for me to narrow down my selection of kits.

Dan Masshardt

You've been around here a long time Wayne. You really don't know what most of the kit names are?

Yeah there are a million it seems like sometimes.

Maybe my problem is that I've got too much time on my hands that I know about this stuff. :-/

I suppose you could just opt out of the complication of it by just sticking with a few kits for the most part. I keep wanting to do this, but then I stray from my good intentions.

Rockytime

You've been around here a long time Wayne. You really don't know what most of the kit names are?

Yeah there are a million it seems like sometimes.

Maybe my problem is that I've got too much time on my hands that I know about this stuff. :-/

I suppose you could just opt out of the complication of it by just sticking with a few kits for the most part. I keep wanting to do this, but then I stray from my good intentions.

I can't remember what I had for breakfast. :biggrin:

MTViper

Why would you want just one style of Sierra? There are differences between the styles and some folks prefer one style over another. If there was only one there wouldn't be price competition, improvements to the design or other options. Do you only offer your customers one style of pen to make their choice easy?

I see no reason (other than patent issues) why there couldn't be multiple styles of Sierras - in fact there are now - all I'm saying is call them all Sierra and then add a modifier to differentiate them. There would be plenty of room for innovation, improvements, price competition and all the rest, but it would make it easier on the new pen turner.

Top Bottom