Question about chucks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtjw

Okay, there has been some chuck talk on here and I have a question. I want to get one to turn some bowls but also want to get one so that I can do solid body pens a little better. Right now I am just using the mandrel and a homemade setupp to do the solid body pens. Any suggestions which one would be the best for these two uses?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tangboy5000

In this case the size bowls you want to do is going to be the determining factor. You can always get smaller jaws for bigger chucks, but the reverse is not true and can be very dangerous. If you want to do bowls up to 14" in diameter, then a SuperNova II or Talon is a good bet, if you want to try even bigger bowls then a TITAN or Stronghold is in your future.

rtjw

I dont really want to make big bowls just yet. Really would like to make vases anywhere from 7 inches in diameter to 12 or 13 inches tall.

coach

Johnny,
I have the Nova midi chuck. I really like it. I have made several bowls and it worked like a dream. Also, all of the nova jaws fit the midi chuck.

Doghouse

Johnny,
It is really a matter of if you spend now or spend later. If you get hooded on bowls and vessels, you will want a high quality chuck. At the same time I do not recommend putting a titan on a MINI/MIDI lathe. It will go on, but when you stop it, you will often unscrew the chuck if you do not wait for it to slow down.

The jaws are what makes the difference. On a Supernova, you can use spigot jaws which will hold next to nothing, all the way up to 130MM jaws which hold 5+" tenons.

Now why have I not mentioned the mini chucks that are so inexpensive? I have found that the tommy-bar chucks are a pain to deal with and require 3 hands to tighten. Any of the higher quality chucks are worth every penny.

ilikewood

Johnny, I just bought the Vicmark 3 1/2 from CSUSA. Wow...really easy to use and setup. I haven't tried any of the others, but I definitely won't have to. Has a great assortment of jaws too.

Rudy Vey

I can vote also for the Super Nova and Super Nova2, I have both and they are very good. My preference is a keyed chuck. The two tommy bars always wants you to have one more hand. The SuperNova 2 has now a hex key like the Vicmark and this makes it even much easier to tighten the jaws (I mean it is much better than the old key for the Nova chuck).

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by ilikewood
<br />Johnny, I just bought the Vicmark 3 1/2 from CSUSA. Wow...really easy to use and setup. I haven't tried any of the others, but I definitely won't have to. Has a great assortment of jaws too.

I have the Vicmarc chuck and it is top notch and I love it. FYI Grizzly has a knock-off of the VM100 for $89 plus shipping. I almost can't tell the difference between the two. The Vic jaws will fit the Grizzly chuck too. Some do not like the fact that it is an obvious clone but to each their own.

Deere41h

Johnny....I also have the Vicmarc 3 1/2" chuck. I was going to buy the pin jaws from Grizzly but instead ended up buying the chuck and the pin jaws. They work on either chuck.
I use the pin jaws for turning closed end pens (See prototype 1 & 2) as they hold the .247" mandrel (or any mandrel for that matter) beautifully and you can adjust the length you want.
I have used both chucks for bowls and they both work well.
Quality of the Vicmarc is superior to the Grizzly.
If I were looking for a chuck just to build closed end pens I would look at the Beall Collet Chuck. That may be on my list as one of the next purchases. That is when my ship comes in.

wayneis

You may also want to check out the Axeminster chucks. I have the 4 1/2" with the key and like it a lot. Its a little cheaper than the one ways the last time that I checked but just as good. Craft Supply carries them and all of the different jaws.

Wayne

dubdrvrkev

I'll second or third or wherever we are on the supernova2. They are very user friendly and have a lot of accessories. My only gripe is the travel of the jaws is fairly short. I don't have a base for comparison, since it is the only WW chuck I have experience with, so the travel may be similar to others of its size.

alamocdc

Johnny, as you can see, some is a matter of preference as with anything else. All of the chucks mentioned are good ones. I happen to have the Barracuda from PSI and have been quite satisfied with it. Yes, it uses Tommy bars, but I've learned how to operate them with two hands. However, they now make a Barracuda 2 that uses a key like the SuperNova and VicMarc and I wish I had it. It's a lot less expensive than the others. In fact, I use mine for so many things, I'm considering getting the Barracdua 2 anyway so I can keep one set of jaws one one (the jaws I use for drilling blanks and turning closed end pens) and use the other for everything else. JMO

Dario

I have the Oneway Talon and very happy with it too.

Vases though not as wide as the bowls would require a good chuck actually because of its length. Imagine how much play you will get if it wobbles just one bit. That is why it is advisable to use a steady on vases especially when hollowing or anytime that the tail stock is not engaged.

lkorn

Johnny,
I just purchased a 3 1/2" scroll chuck from "Grizzly", It is a clone of the VICMARC. While the fit & finish quality is not the same as the VIC, it is sufficient for the task. $90.00 takes it home, vice about $225.00 for the VIC. Additional jaws, including 1"pin available for $18.00 set.

Just another option!

bdar

Johnny,
Being in Australia, I have to say I am partial to Vicmarc, I have bought 5 over the years. I have 2 of the 3 1/2 Vicmarcs, one with pin jaws and the other with the shark jaws. Also have 3 of the big Vicmarcs, one set up for my out board with the large coles jaws, the second with long nose jaws and the 3rd with shark jaws. I know there are cheaper knock offs, but all I can say that with Vicmarc you have superb engineering and precision.
Bdar

alamocdc

I just ordered my second chuck from Woodturningz. The Utility Grip (CUG3418) with all the jaws for just under $60 on sale. Yeah, I know, "But it uses Tommy bars!" My other one gets the job done and for this price, I can live with the Tommy bars. It might be the way to go as a starter chuck. At least you wouldn't be out big $$ if you decide you really aren't all that into bowls and things after all. Just another option, Johnny.

Kurt Aebi

I have (2) of PSI's Utility Grip Chucks (CUG3418) and they have worked quite well - you do have to get used to the "Tommy Bars", but Nova and Vicmark offer chucks that adjust that way also - so I don't view it a big factor. Fit and finish aren't as nice on the PSI - but you can get 2 or 3 for the same price as teh Supernova and Vic 5 and as long as you are a hobbiest - I don't see the need for the industrial quality chuck. I mean, not all of us are turning on Stubby's or big Oneway's, Powermatics or Nova DVR's either!

If you are using the lathe and chuck for 8 hours/day everyday - then don't spare the expense and get the Top Quality stuff, but if it is a hobby that may see 8 hours/week - then the lesser expensive, lower quality stuff will be just fine.

I have one of PSI's Baracuda2 sets on order and it uses a "T" handle - we'll see how good that one is - I'll post my findings.

I hope I have helped, Johnny and not just muddied the water for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom