quality

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Quality is something that gets mentioned a lot in threads here. What does Quality mean to you. There is no right or wrong answer just opinions.

To me quality means conformance to specification. Does it do what it is supposed to do in the manner it is designed to do it within it's design perameters.

It has nothing to do with whether the item is expensive or inexpensive or what it is made of or how many bells and whistles it has. I consider those to be indications of "luxury" rather than quality.

What's your opinion?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

Smitty,

Quality? hmmmmm gosh for the life of me I cannot explain quality. I know what it is,
I appreciate it, and I enjoy seeing and holding it. Really quality needs no explanation it speaks for its self.

Ben

Curly

Russianwolf said:
Warning Warning.

Smitty is a former Quality Control man. He uses a very narrow definition of the word Quality.

[runs screaming from the room]

Indeed! I knew there was a reason to like him. It's what I do for a living too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner because I can't reach my desktop!

Daniel

Well this came froma definition of the word that I found online. I think it fits pretty well when it comes to pens.

In manufacturing, a measure of excellence or a state of being free from defects, deficiencies, and significant variations, brought about by the strict and consistent adherence to measurable and verifiable standards to achieve uniformity of output that satisfies specific customer or user requirements.

I also find that quality can be seen as a condition in which a product meets or exceeds expectations. This one can and will vary widely from person to person.

edicehouse

What one sees as quality varies, so it is an opinionated term thus something that can not truely be measured. People I work with would seem a bic pen is quality, and others say they are cheap, and would call my pens quality.

ashaw

It's about
1. Fit and Finish
2. Components

1. Craftsmanship
Does the barrel of the pen match up to the components.
Are there any scratches in the barrel under 10x loop. At pen shows customers will look at that and more often or not that can be the deciding factor of a purchase.

2. Components.
Do the components work property. Is the transmission smooth? How's the ink flow? Ball point or roller ball does it write smooth. Even though the components are out of your control they are on your pen. It the selection of the components that will make a good pen or a great pen.

3. Do you stand behind your pen not just the barrels but the whole pen.

IPD_Mr

I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it. Justice Potter Stewart

There you go, it is now defined as eloquently as the US judicial system would. :biggrin:

nativewooder

According to some people's definition and the book definition, WalMart carries "quality" goods. Don't make me laugh!!! People complain about Made in China "junk" but they never stop to realize that the merchandise was supposedly manufactured to certain strict standards. But if there is no one checking what the factory produces, i.e., quality control, then what comes into this Country is junk! as ordered by American Business.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You guys just need to learn how to deal with your customers:biggrin:

'So sir, you have a complaint about the quality of your pen?'

'Yes. The edge of the body is not flush with the metal part and it is uncomfortable to hold. Also, the plating is peeling off. I only bought it yesterday'

'Mmm...does the pen actually still write?'

'Yes'

'Do the edges make blisters on your fingers?'

'Err...no'

'Does the peeling plating actually cut you?'

'Err....no'

'Then the quality is fine !!!!..................Next!!!!!!!'

Ambidex

q

If it leaves my shop and I'm proud to have produced it, I consider that quality. If I'm happy with a purchase and am happy to pass on info related to that vendor, I consider that quality. I know it's not Websters, but it's my definition.:good:

Phillyjer

That is a funny question. I worked in Quality Assurance for the past 10 years.
Everyone says they know high quality when they see it but a firm definition rarely exists.
To us Quality was always defined as "consistency of application to a prescribed methodology". I am in the financial sector so we are very concerned with processes.

leehljp

Member Liaison
My contribution will be this: Quality - it's beyond "good" and "good enough".

My organization has a motivational quote that I use often:
- "Good is the enemy of Best."
Quality is like that - it will distinguish itself from "good" and won't settle for being just "good".

I like what has been said before: "I know it when I see it." and "real quality speaks for itself".

Another aspect of quality is the "hidden value". I have seen a lot of "nice looking on the outside" furniture only to quickly discover short cuts and cheap assembly techniques. Looking at the hidden and not easily seen parts reveals the true quality of craftsmanship, and choice of material reveals the maker's character.

A different dimension of Quality: Quality is putting your heart into something - even when you are not experienced. I see a lot of new people come with this characteristic! GREAT for them! And we see this reflected in their pen's rise in quality over months!

Last edited:

tokyotank

I think for the majority of craftsmen or women they are going to be much harsher on themselves not wanting to put an inferior product out that is associated with their good name, so if it is not as good as they can get it it won't leave there shop. I think also know and believe that it is hard to get a solid reputation as someone that consistantly puts out quality stuff and the only way you know this is by word of mouth customers. IE: I saw a (fill in the blank) that you made for (?) and it was really nice , how would would something like that cost. Those type of clients mean you are doing quality work. Quality is also in the eye of the recipiant, one persons deffiniton of a quality piece may vastly differ from the next person. Someone that enjoys say folk art and loves a natural edge stick pen may not give two hoots less about a $10000 Visconti. Quality is in the eye of the beholder. That is one of those Sticky Wicket questions. Of course this is my opinion and is worth exactly what you paid for it. $0

76winger

Quality is something that gets mentioned a lot in threads here. What does Quality mean to you. There is no right or wrong answer just opinions.

To me quality means conformance to specification. Does it do what it is supposed to do in the manner it is designed to do it within it's design perameters.

It has nothing to do with whether the item is expensive or inexpensive or what it is made of or how many bells and whistles it has. I consider those to be indications of "luxury" rather than quality.

What's your opinion?

I agree with this, but would also expect a quality product to mean it's going to last along time. Of course I know this is subjective and depends on the product.
For instance a quality watch or pen should last several years to a lifetime.
A quality faucet should last several years without need for repair (but water conditions will cause variances).
A quality car will retain tight door/hood/trunk joints over many years and few breakdown (due to quality components), but then driving conditions and the nut behind the wheel are variables that affect those.
A quality piece of electronics should work until it's outdated (but that's usually before you buy it anyway, lol).
And I could go on, but generally you'd expect a "quality" item to outlast 80-90 percent of it's competition in the same set of conditions.

Jim Burr

Banned
Quality can also be fleeting! Every time I make a pen, I learn something new, better, or a different way to sand or a different/new finishing technique. That being said, if I won't give it to my son in laws family...it's not going anywhere! The cost of kits should keep us all in check too! If you're using a $10, $12, $20 kit and put a .29 cent sanding and finish job on it, maybe you have to much money?!

Bill Sampson

This is an interesting thread, although I view it differently than intended.
On Valentine's day, 1960, at 19, I married a beautiful young lady. This Feburary 14th., she is the same size and even more beautiful. This is my take on quality, and in your responses, you have described her very well. I believe most of you feel the same way about your spouse. Here is what you said:

1) Can't explain it, but know it when I see it.
2) Free from defects and satisfies specific user requirements
3) It's about fit and finish as well as components
4) I'm proud, and consider that quality
5) Quality is beyond good and good enough
6) The longer it lasts, the better the quality
7) Quality is in the eye of the beholder
8) Lasts a long time
9) It's nice with no major flaws

I know the thread was intended for pens, but couldn't resist giving my view of "quality".

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
This is an interesting thread, although I view it differently than intended.
On Valentine's day, 1960, at 19, I married a beautiful young lady. This Feburary 14th., she is the same size and even more beautiful. This is my take on quality, and in your responses, you have described her very well. I believe most of you feel the same way about your spouse. Here is what you said:

1) Can't explain it, but know it when I see it.
2) Free from defects and satisfies specific user requirements
3) It's about fit and finish as well as components
4) I'm proud, and consider that quality
5) Quality is beyond good and good enough
6) The longer it lasts, the better the quality
7) Quality is in the eye of the beholder
8) Lasts a long time
9) It's nice with no major flaws

I know the thread was intended for pens, but couldn't resist giving my view of "quality".

Bill Sampson, Richmond

There is no reason you can't apply a measure of "quality" to human beings -- "quality control' to correct defects, on the otherhand, can be very difficult to implement. At least it would be in my marriage which admitedly took place a couple of years after yours.

What's your opinion?

Opinions are like armpits everyone has them and they all stink.

IPD_Mrs

It's about
1. Fit and Finish
2. Components

1. Craftsmanship
Does the barrel of the pen match up to the components.
Are there any scratches in the barrel under 10x loop. At pen shows customers will look at that and more often or not that can be the deciding factor of a purchase.

2. Components.
Do the components work property. Is the transmission smooth? How's the ink flow? Ball point or roller ball does it write smooth. Even though the components are out of your control they are on your pen. It the selection of the components that will make a good pen or a great pen.

3. Do you stand behind your pen not just the barrels but the whole pen.

And yet when I first started turning pens I used a 40x loupe to inspect for those pesky little scratches - like many have said quality is very subjective :rolleyes:

IPD_Mrs

You guys just need to learn how to deal with your customers:biggrin:

'So sir, you have a complaint about the quality of your pen?'

'Yes. The edge of the body is not flush with the metal part and it is uncomfortable to hold. Also, the plating is peeling off. I only bought it yesterday'

'Mmm...does the pen actually still write?'

'Yes'

'Do the edges make blisters on your fingers?'

'Err...no'

'Does the peeling plating actually cut you?'

'Err....no'

'Then the quality is fine !!!!..................Next!!!!!!!'

ROFLMBO - Oh how I missed your sense of humor while you were on vacation Skiprat. It is so good to see it back in action. :biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmm

What's your opinion?

Including this one I presume:biggrin:

Jim Burr

Banned

What's your opinion?

Ha!!! I wanted to apply that to back sides!!:eek:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
yup

What's your opinion?

Ha!!! I wanted to apply that to back sides!!:eek:
You just did!!!!:biggrin:

Top Bottom