putting pens together

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevebuk

hi
i was just wondering what you guys put your pens together with, do you use a ready made machine, or have you built a home made one, i am really interested as i broke 2 today trying to press the parts in using my drill press.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hughbie

i've only used my drill press to put pens together. but then, i have a large bolt turned down and a scrap piece of wood glued to the flat head and that is what i press with.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The one ton arbor is a great answer, but you do have to remember that sheer muscle CAN BREAK the pen MUCH faster than other assembly methods.

Go slow and watch for "cocked" parts!!!

Yes, I assemble all pens with an arbor press. And yes, I have ruined my share by rushing!

jhs494

I made my own pen press. I looked at some of the off the shelf pen presses and came up with my own using a toggle clamp. There is a picture of it in my photo album. Works really well for me.

alamocdc

I put my pens together with the parts that come in the bag.[}:)][:p] Sorry... it's my nature.;)

I started out using a ratcheting clamp from HF, but it soon quit applying enough pressure. I then built two oak blocks for my drill press and use that more often than not. I more recently built a special press using a plunger style woodworking clamp, but haven't gotten all the kinks worked out of it yet... just no time.

MarkHix

Both hands. I am not good enough to just use one hand. (sorry, could not resist)

Bench vise.
I seem to remember someone here using a can crusher. I don't remember who.

jeffj13

Originally posted by hughbie

i've only used my drill press to put pens together. but then, i have a large bolt turned down and a scrap piece of wood glued to the flat head and that is what i press with.

I do the same as Hugh, except I glued a piece of hard rubber to the bolt head.

jeff

PenWorks

I used a hand clamp to begin with, (works good) then bought one of those pen presses (piece of junk) then an arbor press from HF (not bad) and now the only thing that touches my pens when going together is a PHDesigned pen vise :) (the best)

Top Bottom