PSI Classic/Sculpted pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
So today I had some free time and decided to turn a couple of pens. These were kits I bought from PSI when they had a big sale about a month ago. The kits were the Sculpted Arbor- PKSC-PEN6 in 24kt and the Classic Chrome- PKPARK-C. The wood I used had sentimental meaning for my in-laws and was Camphor (by the way, if you suffer with allergies like I do, turn some Camphor, it'll clear you right up). After I completed turning and assembling I could hardly turn either pen to open or close the refill. The Sculpted Arbor kit was made for my mother in-law who I know won't even begin to try and turn the barrels (she's 93) and my father in-law, who is as tough as nails at 95, will struggle with his.
Has anyone else experienced this with these two pens and is it correctable? Are there other pen kits that have this problem I should avoid? I'll have to make new pens if I can't get these to turn much more easily. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or help.

Brian G

Is the difficulty because the transmissions are stiff? If so, I've found that a drop of 3 in 1 oil in the transmission and twisting it repeatedly helps loosen the transmission.

I swear that PSI uses transmission grease that is one step removed from tar. :rolleyes:

Is the difficulty because the transmissions are stiff? If so, I've found that a drop of 3 in 1 oil in the transmission and twisting it repeatedly helps loosen the transmission.

I swear that PSI uses transmission grease that is one step removed from tar. :rolleyes:

Thanks Brian. I had thought that that might be the problem. I'll give it a try today and see what happens.

Top Bottom