Propane Bottle Warning!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Propane Bottle Warning!

Recently, when I switched propane bottles for the grill, I found that the full bottle leaked when the gas valve was turned on. I checked and saw that the rubber seal in the opening in which you attach the hose was old, dry rotted and cracked causing the leak.
This was a "swapped" bottle from one of the local bottle swap locations. Please check your propane bottles when you get new ones or if you have one that has been sitting for a long time.
I returned the defective bottle and an exchange was made.
If someone doesn't realize the gas is leaking at the bottle/hose connection under a grill or in a grill cabinet, one could have a propane explosion.

Note the radial cracks in the seal.

Attachments

• IMG_9178.jpg
    IMG_9178.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 217
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig613

A good check to see if everything is tight is to apply some dilute dish soap around the area of the threaded fitting. If there is a leak you will see small bubbles.

Wade

Marmotjr

This should be one of those things they teach in school that never get taught. I change propane bottles on a near daily basis driving towmotors, and this is one of the first things I check, making sure the Oring is still there, and in good condition.

sbwertz

I check regularly too, but I also always turn the valve off at the bottle when the grill is not in use so there is no gas in the hose. The hoses can leak and the grill valves don't always turn off really tight.

Charlie_W

I check regularly too, but I also always turn the valve off at the bottle when the grill is not in use so there is no gas in the hose. The hoses can leak and the grill valves don't always turn off really tight.

Yup, I too turn off the valve when not in use. Sometimes putting on or taking off a grill cover can turn a knob and cause a leak.

Also, a pesky squirrel can nibble on a hose. A friend of mine has had squirrels chew through the gas line on their vehicles twice....an expensive fix when the gas tank has to be dropped to access the chewed hose.

bedangerous

I never go to gas tank swap out sites. I have new tanks and go out of my way to go to the local supplier who refills my own tank. Got burnt before swapping a new tank for a piece of crap.

Gregf

I had something chew through my regulator hose.

Top Bottom