Proof of Life?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

I know I have been promising some more pin chucks for the Barons to many folks, as well as the new Gents / Statesman that I have been working on. Got a big load going today!:D

Bushings all drilled, turned and cut, and all drill rod stock milled. Still have to cut and grind the pins for all of them :(.

Also, The drill rod for the gents is a little too close to the ID of the Gents tubes. They fit, but are a little too snug for my obsessive tastes. A little emery cloth will smooth them out. Thanks all for your patience.

A Photo for proof of life!

200511275502_chucks.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomServo

Fangar, would it be possible to make a double pin chuck, to replace a standard mandrel? not for closed end work, but instead of the screw-down type of setup? If it's feasable, what would you charge to make me one for berea ameroclassic style barrels? I want something to use with the live center like a standard mandrel.

Fangar

Originally posted by TomServo
<br />Fanger, would it be possible to make a double pin chuck, to replace a standard mandrel? not for closed end work, but instead of the screw-down type of setup? If it's feasable, what would you charge to make me one for berea ameroclassic style barrels? I want something to use with the live center like a standard mandrel.

I've spoken about this with a couple different people. It can be done. There is absolutely no reason that you couldn't make one with an A mandrel and a file though. The issue as mentioned in the past is that you are dealing with only a 1/4" piece of rod stock to start with. The mandrel has flex issues as they are stock. Cut into it, and you would likely create more issues with flex. Eventually, I might put more thought into something similar, but I am so short of time right now, it is not likely it will be anytime soon.

Fangar

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
James, as I have not used your pin chuck yet... I am just curious... what size collet do I need for my Axminster to use the pin chuck... I realize some people use a standard Jacobs chuck, but since I have the Axminster, why not use it..

Fangar

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />James, as I have not used your pin chuck yet... I am just curious... what size collet do I need for my Axminster to use the pin chuck... I realize some people use a standard Jacobs chuck, but since I have the Axminster, why not use it..

Tom,

I am not real familiar with the collect chucks for a wood lathe so I am not sure exactly what size you would need. I can tell you that the Baron pin chuck is a 23/64" rod (You should have that size in a drill stash) and the Gents / Statesman is an 11mm Drill rod.

Hope that helps,

Fangar

P.S. I Have not forgotten about yours either.

TomServo

Fangar - I was actually wanting something that the barrels could fit on without bushings - for the ameroclassic pens that's ~ .35" ish.. I'm not at home so I can't put calipers to steel. Naturally this would require owning a different mandrel for each size of pen (or each size of pen you want to chuck this way. I was thinking that this would be very much stronger than the standard A or B mandrels..

If you're willing to reveal your darkest secrets, I'm willing to make my own.. or screw up a carbide endmill and a chunk of drill rod trying :D would piano wire work for the pin? and what size should it be, clearances etc, or is it best to experiment a little? I have an idea of the theory and workings behind it here..

Fangar

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />Received mine today, very prompt service. Item obviously very precision made. Anxious to try out. Color me pleased. [:D]

Frank,

Glad to see it arrived. Thanks also for your kind words. I appreciate that.

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom