Progress

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Big

Good day my friends! I thought I would take a moment to touch base and let you folks know where I stand at present. After asking some wonderfully goofy questions about getting started I had many requests for my contact information and was blessed with box after box of blanks and goodies. This was amazing and wonderful and meant more than I can possibly express. It demonstrated what I quickly learned about the people of this community on these forums and that is that I am in the presence of some wonderful people who are not only willing but also eager to reach out and help not only each other with wisdom and their expertise but also by sharing and helping someone brand new get started. And yes, at some point in my journey of wood working and turning pens I will absolutely participate in doing for others what has been done for me.

That being said, I am currently waiting for the first of the month and my disability to come. I have made a list of tools, chucks, sand papers, CA, WTF, and other items that I will need before turning my first blank. After I order and get this stuff I will jump on my new lathe and start turning pen blanks. I am fairly sure that I will be able to start by at least the middle of the month.

After getting my lathe, I have been spending time watching videos and checking out threads in the library and other reading. Trust me, I am brand new not only to turning but to wood working altogether so I am having to start from scratch. I have been trying to understand each step of the process from putting a blank on the lathe, to drilling it, sanding it, and finally finishing it before pressing it together. Ok, that could be a neat flow chart illustrating the process from beginning to end for the engineer minded folks and illustrators out there. Then, what tools and supplies are needed for each step of the process, how long does each step take, how long should the glue cure or dry after putting the tube in the blank, and so on and so on. I have been trying to understand every aspect of the process so that I will understand all of it better as a complete and total beginner. Understanding the lathe and what each part does, what attachments, how to operate it and change speeds, etc. These have been things for me to learn from the ground up so to speak.

I also joined the local chapter of the AAW and was able to go to my first meeting and join the club last Sat. which was exciting too. A couple of the folks that I met said that we could get together and they would show me a few things to help out. I look forward to that very much.

No photos of pens from me yet but trust me, there will be and I will look forward to advice, criticism, and comments when I do get to start posting. Until then, have a fantastic day and week and please feel free to stay in touch.

Big

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Glad things are moving along. Take up the offers from your woodturning club friends. They are THE best hands-on resources for answering all kinds of woodturning questions and providing gentle guidance over the newbie bumps and bruises we all are destined to experience.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Anticipation! -- what fun

I've been a woodworker for over 50 years but had never turned anything on a lathe until I bought one about 18 months ago after talking to some pen turner friends & watching some videos. I went through a lot of the same questions, feelings & experiences that you are right now. My biggest advice - practice safety first & don't be afraid to experiment - so you ruin a few blanks - no big deal.

Reactions: Big

GaryMGg

Good day my friends!...I am brand new not only to turning but to wood working altogether so I am having to start from scratch....

Hi Big.
I want to suggest you pay as much attention, if not more, to learning woodworking safety as you do to any other aspect of this funderful hobby.
Many of the tools we use can bite you and it's crucial to your long-term enjoyment to know the constraints associated with each tool you'll use.

Always listen to your inner ear; if something makes you question an action, pay attention to it.
Instincts are often right.

Cheers

Big

Sound advice and I will absolutely be thinking "Safety First" at all points first and foremost. My excitement and anticipation at getting started has not waned one single iota. If anything, I am even more excited at being even closer to starting.

stonepecker

Since it isn't the first of the month......I am going to point you in another direction.

Go to your public library and check out the pen turning books there. Take a few home and read. You will find that it helps to have one or two book in the shop to refer to in a hurry. After looking in the library, you will see what is the right book that you should have.

Be safe.......enjoy the hobby.......Have fun.

kovalcik

One thing I would recommend is that as soon as you get a turning tool (whether HSS or carbide) that you start chucking some wood up between centers and practice turning it round. You can use some of the blanks you have (just stop before they get too small to use for a pen), pieces of 2x4, branches, firewood, pallet wood, whatever is available. This will give you a feel for your tools and for cutting the wood without worrying about tubes, mandrels, etc. Practice getting the best finish you can right off the tool. You can even practice sanding and putting a finish on. This will also give you something to work on if you need to buy things in stages. Buy a lathe chisel as one of your first purchases and start making shavings ASAP.

Sandsini

Michael,
Things sound like they are falling into place. Congratulations!

If I could give you one word of advice I would say, take your time and have fun with it. Of course you want to keep an eye on safety, but try things out, be a sponge and watch every video you can find.

My early failures (and a good percentage of my current mistakes) are a result of being impatient. I find that I enjoy the process much more if I don't push myself to complete things quickly and take pleasure in the process (add some great music on the radio and a big glass of ice tea and I am in heaven!).

Cheers,

Big

Been guilty of impatience for most of my life but have learned, with great effort to be more patient. I absolutely see the need for patience with this craft. But have no doubt, I will make some huge mistakes and go through the preverbal learning curve and school of hard knocks to be sure.

jsolie

One thing I would recommend is that as soon as you get a turning tool (whether HSS or carbide) that you start chucking some wood up between centers and practice turning it round. You can use some of the blanks you have (just stop before they get too small to use for a pen), pieces of 2x4, branches, firewood, pallet wood, whatever is available. This will give you a feel for your tools and for cutting the wood without worrying about tubes, mandrels, etc. Practice getting the best finish you can right off the tool. You can even practice sanding and putting a finish on. This will also give you something to work on if you need to buy things in stages. Buy a lathe chisel as one of your first purchases and start making shavings ASAP.

Last year my oldest son expressed an interest in wood turning. So off we went to Lowe's (I think) and picked up some super cheap 2x2's. We brought them home and cut them into approx. 12" sections.

They make excellent spindle turning practice material. When you combine that with a safety drive (which works with friction only), you have something that won't invite disaster when you get a catch. It's also great for practicing a light touch--which is needed for turning some materials.

Big

I mounted a piece of Cedar between the centers and started cutting. I wanted to get a feel for the tool. I have been watching videos about how to use the skew and other tools so I thoroughly enjoyed turning my first practice piece. I am so totally enamored with this and can not imagine why I did not get started years ago. I am in hog heaven. Thanks for the encouragement, wisdom, friendship, and everything that you folks do for me. You are an amazing bunch and I am just proud to be in this community with you.

Top Bottom