Pricing help for a few shop items I plan to sell locally

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

I have some shop items I plan to sell locally, since they're too heavy to ship, but am having trouble coming up with pricing, so I wondered if anyone on here might help or offer some opinions. I've had each of these for at least 6 years, some probably closer to eight, so it's hard for me to even remember what I paid or to value them now:

1. belt/disc sander: Craftsman 4 x 36" belt and 6" disc sander, Model number 351.215140. From what I can tell, a comparable model new is around $250
2. dust collector- Delta, model 50-760, 1 1/2 hp- it looks like a similar delta DC with the same hp is close to $500 at Home Depot
3. Jet lathe JWL-1236- this is the one I'm having the most trouble pricing, because I found my old receipt and I paid $500 for it, and it's clearly been used a lot, but it also looks like similar sized Jet lathes are now going for close to $1500 if I'm reading their website right- mine also comes with a box we built for the bottom of it that's filled with sand to add weight since it tended to bounce around some if turning heavy objects, so nothing that was too pricey to build- some plywood and sand, but is an added part to the lathe

So I was thinking of asking:
$150 for the dust collector, $300 for the lathe and $75 for the sander

Opinions? Am I asking too much or am I selling myself short?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Oh and I forgot, on the DC, I also have the remote control starter push button thing to go with it, which I'm pretty sure was an extra expense- I don't think that comes with the DC.

Charlie_W

Angela, The general rule of thumb around here is that used shop equipment sells for about 1/2 of the original purchase price regardless of what a comparable items sells for currently. Condition and usage may dictate the price up or down.
Also, what type of bags/filters are on the dust collector?
Are you planning on anything going with the lathe besides what came with it?

Good luck!

KenV

Angie -- good to hear from you!!!

In a large population place like metro LV, rule of thumb is to advertise for about 60% of current new, and accept offers of 40-50% of current new. If pristine condition maybe a bit above 50%, and if a rust bucket, lots less. Assuming decent working condition, expect to average around 40%

Plan to haggle and say no to lowball offers. Much less than 40%, you can give to charity and gain on tax deductions for little hassle.

Took a negotiations class where they taught start with a low, lowball offer. You can always go up.

angboy

Thanks all! Ken, I have been pretty absent from the forums, but it's great to know that some familiar faces are still around. I hadn't thought about the donation idea for shop stuff. But this info all gives me some ideas of where to start.

sbwertz

Thanks all! Ken, I have been pretty absent from the forums, but it's great to know that some familiar faces are still around. I hadn't thought about the donation idea for shop stuff. But this info all gives me some ideas of where to start.

Our blind turners project would not exist except for donations! I don't think there is a turning project at the LV blind center, but they might be interested in starting one. You could always ask. The projects in Phoenix, Atlanta, Tampa and Pittsburgh have had a lot of publicity, and they might be interested in starting a turning project at one of the centers in LV.

Top Bottom