Pressure pot adjusting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
So Curtis keeps a constant pressure for three days.

Dawn can keep a constant pressure for 30 minutes.

Same pressure pot.

Now, I can tighten the clamps and improve HER performance, but I don't believe I will come CLOSE to Curtis'.

So, what's to adjust??? There is no rubber seal that comes with the pot. The cap is not adjustable, is it?? How do you get better tolerances?

Thanks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Rob,

I'm not SURE of my name, half the time. But, I assembled two of these pots and I am fairly certain NEITHER has a gasket.

Which COULD BE my problem, if everyone else has one.

Texatdurango

Ed I would think it has to have a seal, else it would be a metal lid against a metal canister and wouldn't hold 10 psi for 10 seconds.

I took the seal that came with my harbor freight pot, flipped it over, applied some silicone grease (a tip from Curtis), tightened it down real tight and left it for a few days. I put alignment marks on the pot and matching marks on the lid so I could align the two every time at the exact same place.

I don't know about three days since I have never had the need but my pot can hold 75 psi for as long as I need I guess. The longest I've needed so far is about 15 minutes with alumilite.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
My HF pot came with a rubber seal. I lube the seal each time and align the lid and pot with marks on both. I can hold 50lbs for several hours.

Jim15

Hi Ed, I have the HF one also and mine has a gasket. I do the same as George.

Ed I would think it has to have a seal, else it would be a metal lid against a metal canister and wouldn't hold 10 psi for 10 seconds.

I took the seal that came with my harbor freight pot, flipped it over, applied some silicone grease (a tip from Curtis), tightened it down real tight and left it for a few days. I put alignment marks on the pot and matching marks on the lid so I could align the two every time at the exact same place.

I don't know about three days since I have never had the need but my pot can hold 75 psi for as long as I need I guess. The longest I've needed so far is about 15 minutes with alumilite.

BigShed

My pressure pot looks identical to the HF pot you guys use over there.

I usually leave my casts in overnight and in the morning the pressure (60psi) is still the same as it was when I started.

My pot definitely has a rubber seal inside the groove of the lid. I also always put the lid back on in the same place.

Another member on our Oz forum, and he is a member here (Woodenink), bought the same pot as I have. He couldn't hold pressure at all. Rang me several times for suggestions and I would go through all the possible places for leaks. Finally I suggested he clean the rubber seal, as dirt on there may cause a leak.

"Rubber seal" he said, "what rubber seal"? Turns out he got one without the rubber seal. Went back to the store, they took one out of another one, problem solved!

dntrost

Yeah look again with glasses on! It has to have a seal and I use vasoline or something similar each time and don't get quite the results Curtis gets but very close. The other culprit is the relief valve use soapy water on each connection to see if you get any bubbles at all.

workinforwood

I have two pots in action. One of them, I can hold 70 lbs steady for a week. The other, I can't put more than 40lbs in it and it only holds for an hour. I can tighten the clamps on that second pot real tight, I have greased the seal real good too, even tried some silicone on it, but If I put in more than 40lbs the seal pops. Over an hours time it easily goes from 40 to 5 or less and I can't figure that pot out either, so I try not to use it.

Top Bottom