Preserving wood questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ohiococonut

Recent pruning in my neighborhood resulted in me bringing home 4 logs. They appear to be Red Flame Box Elder. They are extremely wet and I want to preserve them until they are dry. They measure anywhere from 4"-8" by 36"long.

So far what I've done is just sealed the ends with anchor seal except for one small piece that was cracked so I cut it up to have a look see.

Here's a pic of the end of one log. It set for a couple of days so the color isn't as bright and vibrant. Once it's cut again it really shows the color.
RedFlameBoxElderlog.jpg

Here's a pic of the pieces I cut from the cracked piece. I've sealed the ends and up the sides about an inch with anchor seal. The first 4 pieces are a little over and inch square and the last one's about 7/8"sq. They're all over 6"log.
RedFlameBoxElderblanks.jpg

There was a lot more wood there but I don't want to have to store that much. I plan to put them in my out building and just leave them until they dry. Is there something else I should be doing? Would it help to cut the logs into smaller lengths?

I just love found wood and living in the country it's everywhere! :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

You should stake them on something so that there is air circulating around them and to prevent them from contact with the ground so they don't absorb moisture. I put my wood on small strips of wood sitting on concrete. It seems to dry better and I often put more then on coat of sealer on the ends. If you cut the logs into smaller pieces it is easier to handle and store, in my opinion.

ohiococonut

Yes I do turn bowls, I'm sure some of these are destined to end up in our kitchen.

My out building has wooden floors but these will end up on shelves with wood strips under them. I'll coat them again tonight when I get home from work.

Has anyone ever crosscut this type of wood for pen blanks? I'm curious to see what it'll look like.

Top Bottom