prepairing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jack barnes

How are you prepairing to support this hobby in the current economy? Where I work things is getting to the point of layoffs. I've decided I'm going to stock up on kits and supplies so I can make a pen once in awhile with out worrying about what I'm spending my money on.

Jack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wild Turkey

Jack,
JD here, I plan on retiring the end of Jan 09, perhaps as early as next month, wife having major surgery, and I plan on turning, starting at my retirement. I will support it with funds from retirement account and from income from other major projects that I build from my wood shop. I too plan on stocking up on a lot of pen kits, blanks, have all ready bought over 200, grinder, etc. Will make a few changes in my shop to support new lathe etc. Hopefully $200 will cover the material changes I will need in shop excluding tools etc. Have moist everything all ready that I think I will need, except for lathe and basic start up and the company I presently work for is buying that for me for my retirement gift. Yes, I work for a great company!!!

hewunch

Well, in my neck of the woods, pens don't sell really well (at least expensive ones). But that is why I try to keep my website up to date and such. But, for the most part, I buy new kits with $ that I earned from sales. And I don't buy more until I need to.

burr

Well, here is what I am doing, I was just contacted by our own "US service people" in Iraq who have come across 23 million US dollars, all I have to do is provide a safe place for them to transfer it to and I get to keep 30 percent. That sure was nice of them to pick me!!!!!!!
On a serious note my family and I are buckling down on the niceties which is hard with 2 teenage girls who think they have to have everything. A whole less going out to eat or shopping, which has been good we are spending more time together as a family.

Scott

I have been stocking up for years! But that is probably more a function of my base nature rather than preparing for hard times!

As long at I still have electricity, the lathe will run, and I have stuff to feed it! And if I run out of kits, well, who needs a kit anyway! ;-)

Scott.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Guys, I have seen photos of JD's work, and believe me he makes stuff that will sell!!!

Jack,
JD here, I plan on retiring the end of Jan 09, perhaps as early as next month, wife having major surgery, and I plan on turning, starting at my retirement. I will support it with funds from retirement account and from income from other major projects that I build from my wood shop. I too plan on stocking up on a lot of pen kits, blanks, have all ready bought over 200, grinder, etc. Will make a few changes in my shop to support new lathe etc. Hopefully $200 will cover the material changes I will need in shop excluding tools etc. Have moist everything all ready that I think I will need, except for lathe and basic start up and the company I presently work for is buying that for me for my retirement gift. Yes, I work for a great company!!!

nava1uni

I will continue to find wood at tree trimming sites, go to SCRAP ( an art material recycling organization) where I often find wood and other things to turn. I also use the money I make selling pens to buy kits and things. Will also work on making pens without kits.

LEAP

Buy a little now, a little later, a few things now and again and before you know it you've got a bunch of stuff. Now while my $ situation is pretty good I trickle things in and the stock of kits and materials is growing. Hopefully if times get tight I'll have enough to tide me by.

ldb2000

I work in an automotive related job and with gas at over $3.00 a gallon people aren't spending very much to add options to their cars so while the money is still flowing I'm stocking up on blanks and parts and some kits so I can still make pens for fun and hopefully profit .
As most of you have seen I've been working on perfecting my kitless pens so as long as I can get some blanks and brass and aluminum I'll be able to work even without the kits . I've got some new projects that I'm working on and will be posting some photos soon .
Ok , now here it comes .

Shameless plug :bananen_smilies068:
I'm still running the Kitless Challenge in the Advanced pen turning forum , Please go check it out and maybe even contribute your own example of a kitless slimline .

There's more then one way to skin a cat .

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have lots of pen kits and blanks - probably enough to make 200 - 250 or so, with half being slimline. My problem currently is not enough time to make what I want. So, for the next two to three years, I am fairly well set. About a year ago, I bought a 50 pack from PSI and a daughter also bought me a 50 pack, not knowing I had ordered a pack. So plenty of those on hand.

I do need a few more mid line roller ball kits to match some of the nice blanks I have. But with no time to make any, nothing lost by not having them.

Just over 2 more years till I return home for retirement, but I already have offers for more work :bulgy-eyes: when I get back there. I might have to take one of those offers.

Top Bottom