Powermatic problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tom wood

Has anyone had a problem with the Powermatic 3520b tailstock gouging and scratching the bed of the lathe when moved. I just put together a brand new 3520b. I cleaned all parts before assembly. When I move the tail stock it leaves very deep scratches in the bed. I took the tail stock off and examined it and could not find any sharp points. I cleaned it again, lubed it and put it back on the lathe. Same problem, when I move the tailstock it leave deep marks on the bed. I've tried adjusting it, wax etc. All to no avail. Any suggestions?

KenV

Tom, I know little about 3520s other than having spent a week turning on one.

But I do know that Pheonix has a premier AAW Chapter in town, and that the chapter (azwoodturners.org) has some great turners in it. If you are not an AAW member, time to join it and the AZ Woodturners and get some hands on help.

Charlie_W

A friend just got the same 3520B earlier this year....same issue. We took off the tailstock, filed the bottom and edges and used the file and diamond stone to remove the raised ridges from the scratched bed.

Couldn't really pinpoint the cause other than perhaps some rough edges / burr on the tailstock casting that got caught under the tailstock.

Sort of like getting the first ding in a new car....disappointing.

Woodchipper

Yes, to joining the AAW; American Association of Woodturners. Well worth it and you can find a local chapter. Great way to learn about any kind of turning. Their magazine is outstanding! Members have access to a ton of information from beginning to advanced turning.
We have two fellows in our chapter who turn pens. One does about 300 pens a year so he has a lot of info to share.

Top Bottom