Powermatic 3520A help please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I think the inverter has/is going out on my 3520A lathe. I'm having problems with getting it started or keeping it running. Here are the symptoms:
Flip on the manual disconnect
Pull the red power switch on...nothing happens. The LED readout on the inverter shows "o" and "c".
I turn the disconnect off and wait a few minutes before flipping the disconnect on again.
After doing this a time or two, I can usually get the LED to show an "F" in the upper left corner and numbers are on the LED display (I assume this is the voltage reading)
I pull the on/off switch on and the lathe starts.
After a few minutes the speed starts slowing down and the LED reads "OFF". Doesn't matter if I adjust the speed or not, it will just stop running.
I can repeat the above steps and it will sometimes come on, but again for only a few minutes.
I called Powermatic and the service tek said it sounded like the inverter going out.
Before I spend $500+ I thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has had this problem and if so, how did you fix it.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Our club has the 3520A and occassionally it will not work. It sounds similar to your issue but it happens during demos when the lathe is being turned on and off. When it happens we unplug it from the power source, not just turn things off. We unplug it. Let it sit for a couple minutes and reconnect. It then works fine. The lathe is only used 1 or 2 times per month so I can't say how often it happens.

No one has really looked into it but the speculation by the many engineers in our club is it is the inverter.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
It was the Invverter

Looks like the inverter was the problem.
Received the new on Friday and finished hooking it up this morning once I received confirmation on the placement of one wire.
So far so good. It's running.

Top Bottom