Potential new blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Boyd

What do think of this? It is 3/4"x3/4"x10" long and has 72 pieces maple and walnut. On the solid maple sides I was thinking of drilling a diamond shaped hole and inlaying some turquoise in the finishing stages.
I have another drying right now made with ash and mesquite where the triangles are closer together.
PotentialnewblankbSmall.jpg

PotentialnewblankaSmall.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Jim,
What kit do you plan to experiment with and where are you planning to make your cuts?

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Jim,
What kit do you plan to experiment with and where are you planning to make your cuts?
Well, I have not really given that part any thought yet[:0] Kits on hand are slim line, round top european, cigar and baron. The width between the valleys will make placement of the cuts picky. That is why I made the second blank with smaller valleys. My usual M.O. is to make the design then make it fit[:D]

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />How thick are the pieces that compose the "pyramids"? The "sides"?
The pyramid pieces are a hair over 1/16" and the sides are at 1/8". An atlas maybe the one to experiment with. I forgot I have a couple of those kits too. Not my favorite.

M

Mudder

DAMHIKT...... As a pen I'll bet it will not look well at all. Now as part of a segmented bowl, it would look really nice. I tried the "Iindian blanket" on a pen and it looked terrible. Maybe the Ash & Mesquite would look better from your description.

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />DAMHIKT...... As a pen I'll bet it will not look well at all. Now as part of a segmented bowl, it would look really nice. I tried the "Iindian blanket" on a pen and it looked terrible. Maybe the Ash & Mesquite would look better from your description.
[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]
It will wait for a while. I picked up a 50's model Craftsman 12" disc sander yesterday and I started a cleanup/re-paint this morning. I was really suprised that after 15 years I had no problem finding ALL of the parts for my sandblaster. And I even had some sand[:D]

Ron Mc

Jim,
Actually I'm thinking that the outside 1/8" pieces will not come into play at all. If you cut and turn as is it looks like you will end out with very little design on the left and right side and multiple stairs steps in the middle. If I may make a suggestion? What if you cut this blank into pieces that are white segments and then cut some that are brown segments and then flip them onto each other tip to tip? Then turn.
If this just doesn't make sense e-mail me off line and I'll elaborate. Myself I would go with the Baron kit so that you have more of the design exposed. The cutting options on this blank are endless and I look forward to seeing the completed pen!

Jim Boyd

Well good news and bad news. Good news is my old sander looks new! And there was enough meat to have the design turn out on an Atlas kit. Bad news is even though I plugged every hole on the motor before sandblasting I did not cover the switch. I now need a new $5 switch. On the pen I decided to try freehand drilling some inlay holes for turquoise. 5 of 6 holes are good. The bad one is because the drill bit took a walk. Even though I pre-drilled [V] It is now hidden as much as possible under the clip. I'll post some pics after dinner.

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Jim,
Actually I'm thinking that the outside 1/8" pieces will not come into play at all. If you cut and turn as is it looks like you will end out with very little design on the left and right side and multiple stairs steps in the middle. If I may make a suggestion? What if you cut this blank into pieces that are white segments and then cut some that are brown segments and then flip them onto each other tip to tip? Then turn.
If this just doesn't make sense e-mail me off line and I'll elaborate. Myself I would go with the Baron kit so that you have more of the design exposed. The cutting options on this blank are endless and I look forward to seeing the completed pen!

Ron were you meaning going from this /\/\/\ to this &lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom