Votes: 135 88.8%
  • GET RID OF IT

Votes: 17 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'm following another thread in which someone offered that the Post Likes feature discourages people from posting. I didn't do too much thinking (error #1) when I implemented it, that was just my response to a couple members who suggested it might be a nice feature.

I figured that it would give people who were likely to just bypass a post to make some contribution, however minimal an extra like would be, and cut down on the volume of what I thought were "low value" posts like "+1" and "Nice Pen Good Job".

There have been some unintended consequences, however.
  • Those posts we sometimes consider "low value"? They bump the thread, which might cause someone to see it who will make a "higher value" post. "Liking" a post does not bump the thread, and they slide more quickly off the new posts feed into oblivion.
  • It's too easy to click "Like", causing people to not even bother making a comment, "+1" or otherwise.
So, I'm considering turning that feature off, at least for a trial period.

VOTE, and if you like, leave a comment. (Something more than "+1"!!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think it should stay.
I use it when I like the pen, but don't particularly find anything worthy of comment. If the like feature wasn't there then I may have just passed over it.
I guess I feel the same when it's used in other forums than SOYP too.

LarryDNJR

I'm all for using it. I think how you are describing the issue is what people clearly need to understand. Use it for a quick like to focus on a certain post/thread but contribute something substantial to the thread with your own post that is more than a few words.

Also.

+1 for Jeff's post.

LarryDNJR

D.Oliver

I like it. I think it's useful to guage what people think. I don't compare my "likes" to the number of "likes" other people get, but simply compare the differnt pens that I've made and the number of "likes" each has recieved.

On a differnt, but related note...What do you think about a favorites button?

Jim Burr

Banned
Nice post Jeff! I think it serves a purpose when you want to acknowledge a pen, but don't have anything to say.

SteveJ

I only wish that when someone liked a post to some thread it would push the thread back to the top. But even without that feature I think it is valuable - you don't have to scroll through lots of +1 comments.

ZIPIT!

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
I want to keep the Like option, only if Jeff can have this bump the post.

It does eliminate a lot of the "I like it", "+1" or whatever. It''s easier to just Like than create a reply. I hate Bumping to bring a post back to the top.

I also agree with Derek, I would like to see a favorites or bookmark option. This would be independent of the browser, an IAP pull down or selection.

thewishman

Nice Post, Good Job, Jeff.

I like the like button. I use it when I don't have time to add comments, or when a post is particularly witty or funny or spot on. When I get a like on one of my posts, it makes me feel good.

RichB

I like the like. I use it a lot. I posted a pen that I think was new on here. I got a lot of like's and very few comments. It went off the front page, like right now, very fast so I don't thing a lot of members saw it. I plan on bringing it to the MAPG. I would like to keep it if it would push the thread to the top.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I completely dislike it. I think it has cut down the number of posts on IAP considerably. Sure, it is an easy option but being part of a community requires a little work. Folks like to see comments, even if they are short. Having the like button is making IAP way too sterile, IMO.

ctubbs

Keep the 'Like' button, please. When I have something different than all the preceding posters, then I actually post my opinions, pro or con. However, I believe it to be a waste of time and bandwidth to simply re-post what has been so well said just above. Jeff, you provide all of us with such a wonderful and informative service at such little, if any, cost to us that I can see no reason to run the bill up just to say the same thing stated above. Just my $0.03 today. And once again, thank you Jeff for allowing us to put in our ideas on the operation of this wonderful forum/site.
Charles

D.Oliver

I completely dislike it. I think it has cut down the number of posts on IAP considerably. Sure, it is an easy option but being part of a community requires a little work. Folks like to see comments, even if they are short. Having the like button is making IAP way too sterile, IMO.

While I've already said that I'm in favor of the "like" button, I think you make a valid point here. Is they any way to crunch some numbers to see post per day or comments per thread before and after the implementation of the like button?

The Penguin

I liked your post just to annoy you and then posted any way.

:tongue:

76winger

I'm following another thread in which someone offered that the Post Likes feature discourages people from posting. I didn't do too much thinking (error #1) when I implemented it, that was just my response to a couple members who suggested it might be a nice feature.

I figured that it would give people who were likely to just bypass a post to make some contribution, however minimal an extra like would be, and cut down on the volume of what I thought were "low value" posts like "+1" and "Nice Pen Good Job".

There have been some unintended consequences, however.
  • Those posts we sometimes consider "low value"? They bump the thread, which might cause someone to see it who will make a "higher value" post. "Liking" a post does not bump the thread, and they slide more quickly off the new posts feed into oblivion.
  • It's too easy to click "Like", causing people to not even bother making a comment, "+1" or otherwise.
So, I'm considering turning that feature off, at least for a trial period.

Highlighted is exactly what I though before I read it.

I'm one who uses the like button frequently to at least indicate I saw liked what I saw. I actually miss this feature on other forums that don't employ it, because with the likes of Facebook, it's almost an expected option to "like" something or "comment" or both.

My thoughts:

• To me, it's also a nice way to indicate I liked "as much as I could make out" in cases where the photo is out of focus enough to make it hard to really see the details of the pen, yet the poster might get offended if I start critiquing the photo when they were only showing the pen.
  • It also is a good way to state that saw the pen and liked what I saw, even though I didn't the time to stay and write out a response to the posting.
  • It's also a good way to agree with a statement someone has made without re-typing what was already said.

By any chance would there be a way to have "Like" button cause a bump on the thread? I sense that might be what the real complaints are centered around from the way I read your question.

terryf

Im actually trying to get this functionality installed on a photo website I mod. The reason for this is simple; when a photo is posted a lot of the responses start with VWD, VVVWD, VVVVVVVVVVWD, VVVVVVVVVWWWWDDDDDDDDDDDD etc

This creates a huge number of responses that don't say a damn thing other than to have to wade through three of four pages to find posts that actually say something.

Another reason to keep it is that a lot of people have the time or dont like commenting but do like the post or photo etc and by clicking the like button, give the poster acknowledgement they wouldn't neccesarily have otherwise recieved.

PenPal

Jeff,

Our time zones, my tiredness, squeezing viewing between activities etc allow me to voice an opinion of like. I choose to use it as I concur or I really like a post and agree with the sentiments. With my one finger typing sometimes my answers take forever and I really try then to express why I like posts as best I can. In other words like has become a blessing for me. I have no guile nor ever bump always seeking to build up if possible in truth.

No matter what beaut system you use people will twist or turn but for mine please keep LIKE LIKE LIKE going I too deplore what he said never was a crowd follower.

Kind regards Peter.

Haynie

+2? :biggrin:

It's a good thing you added that smiley face or you would have been put on double blind probation or something like that!:laugh:

Nah we'd sick a sorority girl on him (reference the sorority girl rant from the university of maryland which is not appropriate for this board.)

I neither like nor dislike the the like button. I think it has its uses. My vote is to keep it.

monark88

I voted keep. A person can hit the "Like" button and then post a comment on Why they liked something. Or they can just click "Like", in absence of time or substantive comments, at the time.

Counter-productive to delete this option. IMHO
Russ

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I guess it depends on the user. I use it, but in a case where I do the alternative would be no post, no comment. I use it where I want to indicate I agree with a post, but don't have anything else to say. I hate and will not use "+1" "me too" "ditto"....also, I'm pretty sure that it really has not reduced the number of posts where people have something to say.

Brooks803

I'm split down the middle on this. Yes it does cut down on the # of posts bc it's much easier to click a button. On the other hand you do get the participation of those that wouldn't normally leave a comment in the first place.

I think the main area affected by the like button is the SOYP. Would there be a way to only turn it off there? Obviously as a trial to see how the general population does with it.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'm split down the middle on this. Yes it does cut down on the # of posts bc it's much easier to click a button. On the other hand you do get the participation of those that wouldn't normally leave a comment in the first place.

I think the main area affected by the like button is the SOYP. Would there be a way to only turn it off there? Obviously as a trial to see how the general population does with it.

Yes, I can turn it off in any one forum. It's not active in the Marketplace.

There is also an option to only allow it on the first post in a thread.

airborne_r6

I like the button and I like the fact that it does not bump a post to the top. There is nothing I hate more than going into a thread I see has a new post and seeing it was only a +1.

I think making the like button bump a thread up is a bad idea because people would go into the thread and have no idea why it has moved to the top. It could have the unintended consequence of people checking threads less often which would result in less posts to the thread.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
...snip...

By any chance would there be a way to have "Like" button cause a bump on the thread? I sense that might be what the real complaints are centered around from the way I read your question.

No, there's not a way to bump the thread on a like. The problem is that display of threads is done by post time and the last post time would have to be changed to the time of the like to effect a bump. Could it be done? Absolutely, but I think it would be very confusing.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I like it because when you used to say I like it some people accuse you of trying to up your post count.
Nice post, good job!!!

(IGNORE them, Jim!!):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
and "ignore" does NOT require a forum feature:confused::confused::confused:
What do you do to try to up your post count Ed? Do you have a bash planned for when you reach 20,000?:biggrin::biggrin:Am I invited?:tongue:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Smitty,

I typed a long answer, then realized this is way off topic. So, short answer-nope, no celebration, just keep typing.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I use the "Like " button when I want to support a comment made in the thread that I would have liked to have said or find appropriate. If the thread is about a posted pen such as in the SOYP, Advanced Pen, or Segementing forums, I also add a written comment about my thoughts as well as using the "Like" button. If its in a thread like this one in casual conversation I may not add a written comment.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
If you want a post to bump, post a thought. If you just think "I like that", then click the button...it's a nice balance, actually.

In the past, I liked the increased bumps, especially in SOYP, as sometimes I think there are no comments, and then I see a dozen 'likes' when I search for and open a thread....but I also remember getting weary of reading +1 and NPGJ

That's the nice thing about the like button - it removes the issue of reading a lot of identical posts, so the ones with commentary stand out. Twelve pages of '+1' with comments interspersed every page or so become a single page of productive comments and a plethora of 'likes'.

So I'm a convert! :)

edicehouse

I believe there is a direct realtionship to age and the usage of likes. I bet the older someone is, the less likely they are to "like" something. Thanks facebook.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LagniappeRob

Personally I use it for -

1. liking a pen but have no useful info to add (it's better than +1, bump, etc.)

2. Have the same or similar thoughts as someone else's comment - used it for that just recently. Good for discussion threads where multiple sides are being presented. The alternative would be what, quoting and saying ditto?

In the olden days of the internet, back when bandwidth cost a lot more than it did now, we always tried to keep the signal to noise ratio high. It almost sounds like you'd rather the other way around now, just to keep threads at the top. Personally, I like quality over quantity. I couldn't tell you what my post count was and don't care either...

Top Bottom