possible scam

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

I received an email from the "delivery notification department" of the USPS. It said in the title that they had a package for me but were unable to deliver it and to open the email for delivery instructions. The first thought to me was how did the USPS get my email address? I did not open the email and called the postal inspectors, they said they have never heard of this before and to contact my local post office. Called local office and they do not send emails about deliveries, they would leave a form in mail box or on door. This was possibly a pfishing or virus scam from an unknown site. Members may want to watch for this scam.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wingdoctor

I've got a couple of these lately also. As soon as I saw there was an attachment I hit the delete button. Some people have too much time on their hands.

campzeke

Go to USPS.com. On the left side of the screen, click on Quick Tools and select My USPS. There you can set up an account and track all incoming and outgoing shipments. I get an email and a text message with a tracking number and delivery date every time a package is shipped to my address. I also get a text message when the carrier delivers a package... most of the time before they even get out of their truck. You can also leave special delivery instructions if you want. When I send a package to someone, I log in and enter the tracking number in my account and get text messages every time the package is scanned and or delivered.

For me this is a pretty good service ....

frank123

Anytime you get an e-mail claiming to be from some official source you're not sure about, just look at the header info and see where it actually came from.

Likewise any link it contains or attachment (never open any attachment you're not absolutely sure of and expecting even if it is in an e-mail from someone you know, you can always e-mail them and ask about it before you open it).

TimS124

I see more of those claiming to be from FedEx or UPS than from the Post Office...also get some "reports" from Google+ that an email I sent couldn't be sent...all have attachments that are bogus.

As a Mac user, I just let my mouse pointer sit (WITHOUT clicking) over the link and within a couple seconds, the real URL that link wants to send me to shows up...and it's usually blatantly nonsense. "FedEx" link that goes to blahblah/junk... yeah, that's clearly bogus.

Thanks for the heads up.

robutacion

Those are fairly common scams, and following simple advice already given by previous posters, is the most secure way to deal with them, after you verified they are false, you simply ignore any similar emails.

Cheers
George

Top Bottom