Portable AC Power Supply Recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

I am thinking of applying to an outdoor arts festival scheduled for April. Booth hours are from 11am to 9pm. Power will be available, however, the application says to bring 300 feet of extension cord to ensure getting power to the booth for lighting once it gets dark. I can see 100 ft, but 300ft seems a bit much.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good/reliable portable AC power supply that could supply juice for 5 or six hours? Thanks.

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
How many watts do you need to provide for that time period?

I assume that a small generator is out? The Honda EU1000 is extremely quiet. I have the EU2000 and I can stand 5 ft away and have a normal conversation.

Honestly, I think 300 ft of extension cord is going to be far cheaper than any other alternative. You can get 100 ft 14/3 extension cords at Home Depot for under $40. If you only need to supply a few amps, the voltage drop would probably be tolerable.

jcm71

No generators allowed, Jeff. And the application also states that the cord must be secured to prevent trip hazards. I'm estimating only about 100 watts to power four eco friendly flood lights. I'm thinking of a unit that could also jump a dead car battery. I'd leave it in LOML's car when I didn't need it. Cost isn't the issue. The inconvenience of having to possibly wind up 300 ft of outdoor rated extension cord is. I just finished two weekends at the outdoor Knoxville Holiday Market and the four floods lit up my booth nicely.

Last edited:

stonepecker

Tim has the right idea.
Maybe have two RV Batteries just incase the first one doesn't last long enough.
I have used marine batteries in a pinch. Deep cycle.

larryc

I have used the Sears Diehard combination jump starter unit all this year at shows where I needed power for lights over my pens.
If I remember correctly it was under $100. I converted to 12 volt LED lamps for better efficiency. Didn't have to go thru the built in inverter and they are cheaper than the 110 volt LEDs.

Top Bottom