PM Management Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I realize that there are options for dealing with my PM folder getting full. I can download some of my PM's to a folder, and clear them out of an over-full PM folder. My question...of the options available, is one easier to use than another?. For example: let's say I would want to look up a PM from a few years ago, but I had downloaded most of my PM's to one of the download folder options. Is one of those download options easier to use than the other, when wanting to search for some obscure PM from 2012, for example?

My PM folder is nearly full, and I need to clear it out. I do not want to just delete a lot of the files. Any help with this? It would be very much appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hey Steve,

That is one of my problems also.

Some time ago, I started creating folders for my PMs, but I found that the PMs still got counted in the maximum allowable.

So, I don't know what to try next ... other than reviewing my older PMs and deleting a few now and then.
Maybe there is another folder option that I haven't tried yet

I hope someone has some handy advice on this topic .... I'll be watching this thread :)

BTW ... I think it is high time I sent "something" to you :) ... I'll do that tomorrow ... might need to confirm a matter with you first.

Last edited:

Mr Vic

Select to download as a .csv file. You can open with Excel and search by columns which will be Date, Folder (Sent Items, Inbox, etc), Title, From, To or Message.
If you have additional folders you've used to file then they will show also (I think). You can check you the file before you do any deleting.

Skie_M

Create your folders in the IAP as well as some on your computer with matching names, if you want to keep things organized.

Then, while in your Private Message center, at the BOTTOM RIGHT you'll find these handy little link-tools:

attachment.php

You can also select which specific messages you wish to back up to your own computer by using the check boxes on the right of the screen and using the selection box above these links at the bottom right to decide what to do with those particular messages (move to another folder for storage, delete, download, ect...)

Once you've downloaded it, you will find the files organized by DATE. You can open the file to see who it was from, what the subject was, the text contained, ect...

If I wanted to keep things organized, I'ld create matching folders in IAP and on my computer, and archive things directly from the online folder to the matching folder on my computer. Important messages that I want to keep track of, I'ld modify the file name to include extra information or make an extra copy of the file to another folder for easy access (business data, birthday bash or summer extravaganza entries, PITH partner addresses, ect ...)

Attachments

• private messages.jpg
    private messages.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 219

magpens

Thanks, Vic and Greg ... still not quite sure what to do ... may have to try a few things and then maybe ask questions.

SteveG

Thanks!
Now, for something strange...At my PM block, there was a little warning popping up, indicating 90% or 92% full over two weeks. (I trashed some PM's to bring it down.) It climbed back up due to my recent sales threads. That was based on 1500 max allowed. After I post this thread, the 'max allowed' jumped to 2000! That with no further action on my part.
Why?? (BTW, I accept! :biggrin:)

For the sake, and understanding of others here. Is there a set max for PM's, and is it 1500 or 2000 (or ONE MILLION!? :tongue:)?

So, for now, problem solved...I think I will try the folder download anyhow, just to learn what to do.

I do appreciate your response to my cry in the darkness for help!

Herb G

I have a quick question while we're on the subject.
Is there a way I can create a new folder & move messages I want to keep to it?
I know how to make a new folder, but I can't move the PM's to it.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

On the PM list screen there's a check box all the way to the right for each message. Check the ones you want to move, then down on the bottom right of the screen is a dropdown box. Use the Move To Folder pick.

Herb G

On the PM list screen there's a check box all the way to the right for each message. Check the ones you want to move, then down on the bottom right of the screen is a dropdown box. Use the Move To Folder pick.
I did try that, but the folder I added doesn't show up in that list.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

I did try that, but the folder I added doesn't show up in that list.

Select "Move To Folder" then click "Go".

You'll be taken to another screen on which is a list of your folders.

Skie_M

Thanks!
Now, for something strange...At my PM block, there was a little warning popping up, indicating 90% or 92% full over two weeks. (I trashed some PM's to bring it down.) It climbed back up due to my recent sales threads. That was based on 1500 max allowed. After I post this thread, the 'max allowed' jumped to 2000! That with no further action on my part.

For the sake, and understanding of others here. Is there a set max for PM's, and is it 1500 or 2000 (or ONE MILLION!? :tongue:)?

So, for now, problem solved...I think I will try the folder download anyhow, just to learn what to do.

I believe it's an automatic thing that has to do with your post count and/or how long you have been active in the IAP. I recall back when I first figured out the PM system that my max PM count was quite a bit lower ... around 200, I think?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks!

After I read this thread, I increased the max PM count to 2000 for everyone. My intention was to give anyone bumping up against the limit a little time while I looked around for solutions. There used to be a PM reader, but it doesn't seem to exist any longer. Then I thought I recalled seeing a configurable XML reader, but I can't find one with a good interface. The best option is probably the spreadsheet download.

I'll leave the max at 2000. There are only a handful of people with anything close to that.

Top Bottom