PLEASE HELP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

weaveand

Looking for any help I can get. I have been turning pens for a while. Recently I have been gettino pens that are not perfectly round. The are flush with the bushings in one spot, but raised just a hair about the bushing in another spot. I use a 60 degree tailstock. I do not over tighten or put to much pressure on it with the tailstock. I thought maybe my issue was the mandrel so I went out anduring bought a brand new one from woodcraft and I am still having the same problem. My headstock and tailstock are lined up perfectly. What is causing this issue?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
When using a standard mandrel setup, you want to use spacers and tighten up the blanks with the knurled knob. The center should not be used to apply hardly any pressure at all to the end of the mandrel.

Sounds like you may be doing that ok, but even so, a long mandrel can still flex a little. A better approach is to use a mandrel saver that slides over the mandrel, leaving only the minimal amount (blank plus bushings) exposed. If you are doing 2-blank kits, it's also better to turn each blank separately.

Many people like to turn between centers for this very reason, but a mandrel saver & one blank at a time will accomplish the same thing.

You also want to be sure that your bushings fit snugly over your mandrel. They should slide on without binding, but if they are too loose, one or both may not stay perfectly centered on your mandrel when you tighten it up. A slight burr or grime buildup on your mandrel can also cause bushings or blanks to be pushed slightly off center.

jttheclockman

Head stock and tail stock maybe lined up up and down but maybe not left to right.

Anyway to help there are a few things you can try. One is to rotate the blank about half way just before you are getting to exact bushing. Turn one blank at a time and lastly turn between centers. Many threads on how to do this.

Top Bottom