Planning a trip to the N.E

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BJohn

Taking a trip up in the N.E. Like have to be N.J. for a wedding the weekend of July 17th -19th, but leaving on the 20th to go on a whirl wind tour up through CT, RI, MA, NH, ME and VT. Whirl wind I mean like have to be back in Arkansas on the July 26th.

Looking for places that those of you that live up that way think of as 'HAVE TO SEE'

Only things on the plan is 2 days around Bar Harbor, Maine. Other then that we are taking 2 day's to drive from N.J. to Maine. A good amount of time to find things along the way up. 3 days to drive back leaves a little more time for a short stop or two.

And how about ya'll that live in Maine any idea's

Oh YEAH while I might be able to make a quick stop at a wood working store. But I think for the most part that would be not allowed by the women folk.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I don't live there, but I've been to Maine a few times & my favorite stop is the Freeport area.

LL Bean's flagship showroom is in Freeport & always an enjoyable visit. The Desert of Maine is a very interesting place & just a few miles outside of Freeport. There's lots of great dining in Maine & some New England Clam Chowder is a must -- we especially enjoyed dining at the Muddy Rudder in Yarmouth, right next to Freeport.

Have a great trip.

Divingdad

As tMassie said, Mystic Seaport and Newport are in close proximity to each other and are nice places to visit. My daughter goes to U-Maine and I think the prettiest place I've ever been to is Acadia.

Vermont is very pretty, the lady-folk might like visiting the Simon Pearce in Quichee Gorge. They make beautiful glass-blown items. A cute village as well.

Dave

monophoto

There are a lot of places in New England that are interesting for woodworkers. Some suggestions:

Arlington, MA (just west of Boston) - the Old Schwamb Mill - featured on a couple of Norm Abrams' New Yankee Workshop. Famous for their asymmetrical lathes used to carve picture frames.

Rockport, ME - about 3 hours north of Portland on Penobscot Bay - Center for Furniture Craftsmanship, a craft furniture school/workshop.

Vermont Bowl Company, Wilmington, VT (just west of Brattleboro) - John McLeod is a transplanted Scottsman who operates a commercial wood turning operation with lots of bowls and other turned items.

Mystic Seaport, Mystic, CT - this is a fabulous living museum that features several old sailing ships, and the shops and craftsmen needed to keep them sailing.

Sturbridge Village (about 2 hours west of Boston) - a recreated colonial village with an interpretive staff who do demonstrations of everything from cooking to woodworking.

Other things to see/do: others have mentioned Simon Pearce in Queechee (they have a fabulous restaurant - great for elegant lunch); Right across the river/state line from Dartmouth College.

If you are in Boston, make a special point to get to the old Charlestown Navy Yard, home of the USS Constitution. About a month ago, the ship was moved to a drydock for refurbishment, but you can still access the upper deck, and this may be the only opportunity in the next 50 years to see what the hull looks like. Then, for lunch, go to the old Union Oyster House near Quincy Market for clam chowder and a beer (Sam Adams, of course).

If you are headed to Acadia and stop in Rockport, a must-see about halfway between them on US-1 is Fort Knox, a civil war era fort that is in pristine condition. And while you are in the area, don't miss the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland (just south of Rockport). They have the most extensive collection of Wyeth paintings found anywhere.

BJohn

Thanks for the ideas, I have made note of all of them. And pass them onto the women.

Love the ALL YOU EAT LOBSTER. Will have to insist on that one.

BJohn

Got back from our trip Sunday.

What a beautiful part of the country, Did some hiking in Acadia NP. Grand Daughter ventured into the ocean at sand beach. Eater just a little to cold for me. LOL

Did some antique shopping and a stop at Minute Man Nation Monument on the way uo. Got chills on the back of my neck standing on the North Bridge and were Paul Revere road and got captured.

Drove through western MAINE N.H. and VT coming back took HWY 2 would recommend to anyone awfully pretty.

Stopped and Ben & Jerry's in Waterbury, VT on the way back ice cream sample was worth the time for the tour.

BJohn

Water to cold for me.

But I will tell you the 55 degree mornings and low 70 degree afternoons were not hard to take. Got back down here and the temps have been over 100. Heat index today 110. What I would give for some of those 50's

sbwertz

I was in Ct in June and danged near froze to death! I'm from Phoenix, and if the weather gets below 80 I'm looking for a sweater. It was JUNE for heaven's sake, so I only packed shorts and sundresses. I had to go out and buy long pants and long sleeved shirts! It rained almost all the time I was there, but I had a beautiful day to go to Mystic.

pianomanpj

I was in Ct in June and danged near froze to death! I'm from Phoenix, and if the weather gets below 80 I'm looking for a sweater. It was JUNE for heaven's sake, so I only packed shorts and sundresses. I had to go out and buy long pants and long sleeved shirts! It rained almost all the time I was there, but I had a beautiful day to go to Mystic.

It's 76 degrees and partly sunny here in Augusta, Maine. A little too warm for my liking. :rolleyes:

BJohn

Ok Roger rub it in! LOL

Today not to awful bad only 99 and the humidity is up. so heat index has to be 105 or there about. Have a line of rain going to come through pray it waits till the sun is pretty much down. If it comes back out oh the steam bath!

The other thing that we had to get used to WAS THE DANG SUN COMING THROUGH OUR LOFT BEDROOM WINDOW AT 4:30 IN THE MORNING. Even this time of year for us south it doesn't dare show it's self before 6:30 in fear of a good old redneck taking a shot at it.

And we did bring long pants jackets and hoodies. They were worn by the ladies, as for me I enjoyed every minute of it.

One last thing can not remember if it was N.H. think it was. We found a road side rest area that had the most beautiful cold mountain stream running though the back of it with small water falls and water running through shoot's in the rocks, the parking lot was full and people were having a blast including us! Slide down the short fall's and into the pool below. GORGEOUS !

Last edited:

healeydays

If you are heading up to Bar Harbor, a good stop for lunch 1/2 way up Maine's Rte 1 coastal route would be 5 Islands Lobster (just outside Bath). It is a little lobster in the rough place with boats pulling up at the dock unloading their daily catch. It so happens that my wife and I went last month and we need to be in the area this Saturday and will be heading back there again.

Mike B

Fresh Lobster Georgetown Maine | Five Islands Lobster

mecompco

If you are heading up to Bar Harbor, a good stop for lunch 1/2 way up Maine's Rte 1 coastal route would be 5 Islands Lobster (just outside Bath). It is a little lobster in the rough place with boats pulling up at the dock unloading their daily catch. It so happens that my wife and I went last month and we need to be in the area this Saturday and will be heading back there again.

Mike B

Fresh Lobster Georgetown Maine | Five Islands Lobster

That sounds great--never been there. We don't take Rt 1 to get to Bah Habah, but we did go to Popham a couple weeks ago--can't be too far from there.

Regards,
Michael

mecompco

Ok Roger rub it in! LOL

Today not to awful bad only 99 and the humidity is up. so heat index has to be 105 or there about. Have a line of rain going to come through pray it waits till the sun is pretty much down. If it comes back out oh the steam bath!

The other thing that we had to get used to WAS THE DANG SUN COMING THROUGH OUR LOFT BEDROOM WINDOW AT 4:30 IN THE MORNING. Even this time of year for us south it doesn't dare show it's self before 6:30 in fear of a good old redneck taking a shot at it.

And we did bring long pants jackets and hoodies. They were worn by the ladies, as for me I enjoyed every minute of it.

One last thing can not remember if it was N.H. think it was. We found a road side rest area that had the most beautiful cold mountain stream running though the back of it with small water falls and water running through shoot's in the rocks, the parking lot was full and people were having a blast including us! Slide down the short fall's and into the pool below. GORGEOUS !

Sounds kinda like Smalls Falls up in Rangley, but IIRC you guys didn't get up that far.

Top Bottom