Planning a Hawaii trip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

Who can help me out here? Best places to stay(island and Hotel) or one of you folks have a condo to rent?

Things to do. Best places to get curly Koa for pen blanks.

be a 25th anniversary trip for my wife and I. September of 2016.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Make sure you visit Diamond Head beach and take some pictures! (the sands of that beach are primarily composed of diamond, I hear .... it's illegal to take any...)

Also, grab some sharks teeth and tiny dried sea life from the local sellers. Looks to be a hot new item for casting! Personally, I'ld favor the ones being sold by the kids ... they need money for candy and toys! :)

Don't take obsidian .... or anything else, for that matter, from Pele's mountain. She apparently has a bad temper that she only reserves for thieves. Several crashed airplanes are attributed to her temper, and she's not a stranger to traveling away from the Hawaiian Islands for some quick fiery vengeance.

BJohn

Well I have only been to the big island, where I can give you a lot of information on things to do, and places to get wood. When I go I always have my findings shipped back with the flat rates at USPS it is really simple.

So if you go to the Big Island let me know. I have a friend that lives just southeast of Hilo and at least last time I was there he 55gal drums of pen blanks, Koa, Banyan, Mango, Cinnamon, Macadamia and more at a $1.00 each. Then he always throws all kind of good stuff in. Then you can't leave his house without getting some bowl rounds of the same kinds at bargain basement prices.

Just talking about it makes we want to go back again.

firewhatfire

He give tours of the lava fields? It would be cool to see. Pen blanks for $1 would be nice.

Well I have only been to the big island, where I can give you a lot of information on things to do, and places to get wood. When I go I always have my findings shipped back with the flat rates at USPS it is really simple.

So if you go to the Big Island let me know. I have a friend that lives just southeast of Hilo and at least last time I was there he 55gal drums of pen blanks, Koa, Banyan, Mango, Cinnamon, Macadamia and more at a $1.00 each. Then he always throws all kind of good stuff in. Then you can't leave his house without getting some bowl rounds of the same kinds at bargain basement prices.

Just talking about it makes we want to go back again.

builtbybill

Spent 4 years there,on Oahu, visited Maui, Hawaii (big island) and Kauai. The big Island was by far my favorite and I highly recommend it.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Polynesian Cultural Center is a MUST! Be sure to take in their night show - best Polynesian show in Hawaii.

A visit to the USS Arizona is another must see. Tickets are very hard to come by during the summer but should be easier now. On-line advance reservations might be possible, although only a very limited number are offered that way.

Lots of great hotels along Waikiki Beach & all rather expensive. We stayed at Park Shore & loved it. North end of Waikiki Beach & we got a balcony view of Diamond Head & partial ocean view.

Send me a PM if you want more info on these places or other ideas.

Edgar

Krash

My sister and brother-in-law live in Kona. She is a property manager with about 100 properties. So if you need a rental in Kona, I'll give you her contact.

plantman

Check into the bus tours on different islands, they take you to many points of interest with stops at each so you can stretch your legs if you want. They pick you up at your hotel in the morning and drop you off at night, with meal stops on the way. If you or your wife have any fear of heights, I would not try driving around the outer island any distance. To me Maui was the most humid of the islands. You will never regret going to the islands, there is so much to see and do. If you like flowers go to the botanical gardens. Be prepared for a long flight. We flew from Green Bay to Chicago than nonstop from Chicago to Honolulu, a 9 1/2 flight in itself. On the way back we stopped in San Francisco and changed planes with a two hour layover. Much better !! We also had a travel agent set up all our hotel bookings, auto rentals, and side trips so nothing was left out or missed. Your wife will love it !!!! Jim S

Last edited:

robertkulp

Best way to "see it all" is on the NCL ship, Pride of America. It's a week long cruise out of Honolulu and sails to the other three main islands, Hawaii - the Big Island, Maui, and Kauai.

A couple of years ago, we went for our 20th anniversary and loved it.

MikeinSC

Maui was my favorite island to visit but that was some 12 years ago. At the time, it still had a small town feel to it. No idea what it is now.

Never tell someone "back in the States..." Its common for mainlanders to say it though. The problem with that is you're still in the States.

I've stayed in hotels on Oahu and had a condo for the week I was on Maui. The condo was my favorite and not much more than a hotel. Again, that was quite some time ago.

Mahalo is "thank you"

Skie_M

"Back in the States" is quite a common phrase heard in Hawaii and Alaska .... though, up in Alaska, you more often hear "The lower 48" ...

Rick_G

Stayed on Maui for a week about 12 years ago when I retired. Renting a condo and a car kept the food costs down as we had breakfast and a late supper in the condo. We did the 26 mile bike ride down Haleakala volcano. Really enjoyed it. We were with Mountain Bike riders and the guys guiding the tour were good but I'll be surprised if they are still there now. If you are an experienced rider other than the scenery it may not be for you as it's a relatively slow paced single file ride. Also did a plane ride over the still active volcano on the big island which we enjoyed. I wasn't into turning at the time so nothing I can recommend there. My only regret was we didn't spend longer there. If I go back it will definitely be for 2 or 3 weeks instead of 1.

BJohn

He does not lava field tours, but there are plenty that do. The doors off helicopter tour over the volcano was amazing. You can not walk up close enough to see into the caldera's. Guess you could but not real safe. Anyway to see down into them and see the lava bubbling up is fantastic.

Then to hike through a caldera that erupted back in 1959 and to feel the heat and see the seem still permeating from cracks in the floor ( Well that feel's awfully eerie)

It you end up going to the Big Island hit me up, have tons of ideas for you.

Also get some and eat the DONKEY BALL'S WOW !! Also the chocolate covered Kona coffee beans. talk about a caffeine BUZZ.

Can't be of any help... haven't been to the islands in over 40 years... first wife and I spent 2 or 3 vacations there when I was still with TWA and could fly relatively free.... only made Oahu and the Big Island.... and in 40 years I'm sure things have grown and changed considerably.

walshjp17

My wife and I are going to Maui next week. First priority to to visit with our daughter. Second through forty-third priorities are to gather as much native wood as possible to bring/ship back. Oh, and we might hit the beach once or twice and trek through the highlands as well.

I'm already in touch with a few people who have leads on some wood. Film at eleven.

hippi

aloha
the big island is great we stayed in Pahoa for a month cost $1000 check with boggi woggi pizza good pizza she owns several rentals Island Paradise is the name of her rentals
Pahoa is on the Hilo side there are several places to get koa
just a note make sure you take your own bags to the stores Walmart plastic bags are no more ps please stop by and pick me up

epigolucky

Wife and I were married in Kona in 2010, stayed there ~2 weeks right during Ironman WC time. Looks like you have plenty of people already replied that dwarf my knowledge of the big island :). It's a great place and we are planning our next trip back to see the Ironman WC again.

When we were there we mostly spent time cycling, running, or swimming. We originally planned the trip to go see the Ironman, ended up deciding to get married there about 3 months before our trip.

BJohn

Hey hippi

Know of Pahoa, spent a whole day snorkeling the tide pools. Amazing

The fellow I mentioned above lives in Keaau, which is between Hilo and Pahoa. If you go back and need a place to get some amazing lumber. Let me know.

BJohn

epigolucky when you where in Kona, did you eat any DONKEY BALLS ?

And John can I fit in one of you check bags. I will pay of the over weight ....

Last edited:

bobleibo

Phil
That's right after the Summer Bash and after seeing how exhausted you were after this years', you are going to need some help carrying luggage. Guess what, it just so happens that I'm available. Maybe Derek wants to go to help take care of all those pesky reservations. Anyone else want to go?
All this can be yours for the low price of a few plane tickets. When do we leave?
Your IAP family~

firewhatfire

Man you guys are awesome.

Volunteers to help with luggage and help pick up wood. I will message a lot of you asking for more info. We are looking forward to this trip and cannot wait.

Any info you folks will share will be sorted, saved and gone over many times.

Phil

epigolucky

epigolucky when you where in Kona, did you eat any DONKEY BALLS ?

And John can I fit in one of you check bags. I will pay of the over weight ....

Yes, we did have the Donkey Balls! We went to the factory south of Kona when we were checking out the coffee farms.

Top Bottom