Plane Travel with Chisel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I plan to take a short trip and will only need a carry on bag (unless I have to check a bag). I want pack my HSS skew and roughing gouge without the handles. Do you think I will be allowed to carry this on to the plane?

Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi Folks:

I plan to take a short trip and will only need a carry on bag (unless I have to check a bag). I want pack my HSS skew and roughing gouge without the handles. Do you think I will be allowed to carry this on to the plane?

Thank you.

I'm going to go with no on this one...You may even find yourself in a nice room explaining the difference between a skew and gouge to some folks wondering why you have those long pointy metal things in your bag.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Folks:

Thank you.

I'm going to go with no on this one...You may even find yourself in a nice room explaining the difference between a skew and gouge to some folks wondering why you have those long pointy metal things in your bag.

My wife was allowed to travel with a full respirator/gas mask earlier this year. A business trip to a chemical plant. I wonder what would have happened if she decided to wear it during the flight :eek:

CREID

If we here of "Woodturner arrested for carrying lethal weapons on plane" then we know it isn't allowed.:biggrin:

Dehn0045

only blades that are allowed are disposable razors and scissors under 4" in length (which seems strange to me). You also are not permitted to take anything that can be used as a bludgeon, such as baseball bats and pool cues. So, even if you blunted the blade, they might disallow it as a bludgeon. Anyway, I think checking it is probably a wise choice.

Woodchipper

A little old lady had her knitting needles taken away. I'm sure she was big security threat. Just about anything can be used as a weapon. I know of several items that can be used as a weapon but won't put it here.
My wife was allowed to travel with a full respirator/gas mask earlier this year. A business trip to a chemical plant. I wonder what would have happened if she decided to wear it during the flight
Depends on who she sat next to on the plane.

Last edited:

flyitfast

I recently made a trip with tools. I'm glad I packed them in checked baggage as I was advised. I also took a couple of penturner drills in my carry on baggage - they didn't like that at all. Someone has a 10.5 and 12.5 set of Colt drills

magpens

Thanks for this thread, Tony, and I find the replies interesting.

I now know what not to take onboard my next flight (which I expect might be never).

I suppose it's OK to be buried with my favorite skew though.

its_virgil

If you have time consider priority mail shipping of your tools to your desination.
I've done that before. Just a thought.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hi Folks:

Thank you.

stonepecker

Don hit the nail on the head.....ship them to yourself and have them shipped back when done.
(So much easier not to have to explain to someone that isn't a turner)

Be sure to insure them for replacement if lost.

KenV

I threw a roughing gouge blade in my spouses carryon bag at the last minure. It was unhandled, new and blunt. I got to go down and put it in a checked bag.

Woodchipper

There is a bit of inconsistency with airport security. I have heard of people carrying an item through security and when they changed planes at another airport, it was a no-no.
I was flying to Los Angeles with an infra red burner in a wooden box that I made. The security guy thought the venturi tube could be used as a weapon. When I mentioned it was a sample gas burner, the moron thought there was gas was in the burner!!!! Ahhh, mesuggah!
You can't take a drill bit on the plane but you can take a ballpoint pen? Which is more dangerous?

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Of course the answer is NO. When we were still in Japan, a Japanese man hijacked a 747 (in country) with a screwdriver.

Way after 9/11, I was in line to go through security (in Japan) and the fellow in front of me pulled out his cigarette lighter, obviously against regulations (and a picture of a lighter was on a poster with a big X on it). I made a comment that it wasn't allowed. The security guard said "Thats OK, he is Japanese!" I just shook my head!

Pre-9/11, I had a flight out of Haneda (Tokyo/Yokohama) to Hong Kong and had a small pocket knife in my pocket. The security inspector said it was a no-no. He took some tape, wrapped it around the knife, gave it back and said: "Put it in your briefcase." I did!

Brooks803

When I was flying home from the MPG several years ago TSA had a big issue with my fountain pens. I had to uncap each one to prove they weren't knife blades. Not to mention explain what a fountain pen is, lol. Took forever to go through them all. The funniest thing is that they didn't give a damn about the 12" long 1" dia rod of Damascus steel I had in the same bag!

TonyL

Thank you all. I am very content to check them. Even one better, the member, I am visiting told me to leave mine home. Thank you all very much.

MTViper

This is why I drive wherever I want to go. I can carry anything I please. Don't have to answer to anyone but LOML. Can stop where and when I want to. I'm a retired Air Force pilot. Loved flying, but it's just not worth the hassle to me now. Besides, the driver's seat in my pickup is more comfortable than my recliner at home.

Penultimate

I had to leave a full set of brand new ratcheting wrenches with TSA years ago. I was devastated.

Jonathon
I met a guy many years ago (before TSA) tha learned at a n
ninja camp to grind a tri cornered file sharp and embed it in a pen body. It was a scary looking little weapon. He carried it on airplanes.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

tomas

I would check them rather than try carrying them on. It you try taking them through TSA, they may confiscate them. (You could visit them in the Verbotten display case whenever you fly.) You would also be put on a special list deserving special attention and inspection.
My wife and I included a can of spray starch in our suit case about 7 years ago. when we opened the bag the starch was gone and replaced with a nasty notice. A few weeks later, we received a nasty letter from the TSA. Then for the next several years our checked bags were opened and inspected every time we flew. All because my wife didn't want to throw away a nearly new can of spray starch.

Tomas

Top Bottom