PI Christmas Tree ornament

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

Nov%2028%202005%20Christmas%20ornament.jpg

Christmas Tree ornament made of Pink Ivory from Big Rob.
Comments welcome!
Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Jim- the color is really accurate, when I hold the actual ornament up to the screen. It was pretty dark PI on all of the three pieces I got. Someone else saw something I made out of it and was surprised at how dark it was too. Maybe Big Rob could tell us about that?

Thanks for the compliment on the shape- I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it like I had in mind, but I thought it came out pretty nice!

BigRob777

Well, since I haven't sold Angela any bloodwood, and some of the pink ivory I got was nice and dark, I would say it is PI. I am confused about the 3 pieces, as I only sold Angela 1 square. It was 1-1/2" X 6", so maybe it was cut into 3 pieces. That is darker than any of what I have left, but I bought it from a very reputable supplier. I think some of it is still green, as it is coated in wax.

Besides, bloodwood is a little more open-grained than that. I have both, but until recently, I haven't had anything over 1" thick. I have heard that darker pink ivory is more sought after than the lighter stuff. It is considered Grade A, whereas the lighter stuff is considered Grade B. I have sold this same product to some of the most well known turners in the USA and have had no complaints about it.

I have never worked the material, so I am not an expert on it. I am surprised at how dark it is. <b>It is gorgeous work Angela.</b>
Rob

JimGo

Rob,
Sorry, I didn't mean to question the authenticity of your identification of the wood. You're right, bloodwood does have a different grain structure; I was merely comparing the colors. I really am amazed at the color! Not that I'm all that experienced, especially with PI, but that is REALLY deep, and I don't think I've ever seen it that deep. I think I'll be contacting you for a piece or two if you have any left after this!

BigRob777

Jim,
No offense taken, my friend. It made me look more than once too. I checked my stock and it is mostly the medium dark stock. I guess I just got "lucky". I have only 1-1/2" turning squares, which can be cut down to size. Sorry, I didn't include that info in your return e-mail. Thanks. I think you'll like this stuff.
Rob

I really do like this ornament, Angela. I have been thinking of doing the same thing, but with green dyed ginko (a white wood, similar in color, but softer than holly). BTW, who sells that kit? I know you told me, but I forget (as usual).

JimGo

Yes, please do share Angela! Inquiring minds want to know; I'm anxious to <s>steal</s> <s>copy</s> <s>appropriate</s> immitate that design (since immitation is the sincerest form of flattery).

angboy

The kit is an ornament kit from HUT that I got through Woodturningz. They have nice colors to choose from- you can get the satin green like I used on this one, the satin red like I used on one of the others in my album or a satin pearl that I haven't used yet. I had gotten a kit that was from PSI I think that only had gold hardware- but then I saw these on the HUT website and really liked these color choices better.

So now that you know the secret (and I exercised great self-control in not hiding this one...), feel free to copy away Jim!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom