Photos to Computer?? - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post

Use a flip phone so that is not good.
I had to look up a flip phone to see what it is. J/K.

It might be less expensive to get a new smart phone, than to digitize your old photos. Then you can take photos and send them directly to your computer, and you can utilize this feature in the future. The cameras are amazing good in phones, if you have a steady hand. I don't.

Don't say you can't afford a new smart phone. We have two of them, and for both of them, the cost is less than $5 a month. That includes unlimited text and calls, along with some data. We don't use the data, so I'm not sure how much is included. If you do use the data, it's a low cost per GB over your included amount.

Just another option to consider.
Terredax is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terredax View Post
Quote:

It might be less expensive to get a new smart phone, than to digitize your old photos. Then you can take photos and send them directly to your computer, and you can utilize this feature in the future. The cameras are amazing good in phones, if you have a steady hand. I don't.

Don't say you can't afford a new smart phone. We have two of them, and for both of them, the cost is less than $5 a month. That includes unlimited text and calls, along with some data. We don't use the data, so I'm not sure how much is included. If you do use the data, it's a low cost per GB over your included amount.

John I know what you are saying but I am not looking to take photos with my phone. I can do everything with my flip phone as with a smart phone but the viewing screen is smaller.

Again 35 years ago I use to take 35mm film photos because all that tech was not around yet. I use to make up photo albums for my scrollsawing work and use them as my source for people to browse through and select projects for me to make for them. I would like to put the photos on a disc or flashdrive so I can use on the computer or other device to once again use as an album.

I know they make specific scanners for things like this. I had seen them on QVC and may look into what they were selling. I was hoping someone did this before and could recommend a specific model they used that they were satisfied with. I have a digital camera that is very good and yes I could take photos of the photos and transfer that way but there has to be an easier way. Any pens i show here were taken with my digital camera. Any new photos I take today are taken with that camera

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Man I would love to get your plan rates. 2 phones with a basic plan here is about $170Can ($130US) a month. House phone is $67Can on top of the cells.

JT I'm trying to remember if you have ever said you have an iPad. If you do it opens the possibility of hooking up to your scanner/printer either directly, through a flash drive or SD card.
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

John I know what you are saying but I am not looking to take photos with my phone. I can do everything with my flip phone as with a smart phone but the viewing screen is smaller.

Again 35 years ago I use to take 35mm film photos because all that tech was not around yet. I use to make up photo albums for my scrollsawing work and use them as my source for people to browse through and select projects for me to make for them. I would like to put the photos on a disc or flashdrive so I can use on the computer or other device to once again use as an album.

I know they make specific scanners for things like this. I had seen them on QVC and may look into what they were selling. I was hoping someone did this before and could recommend a specific model they used that they were satisfied with. I have a digital camera that is very good and yes I could take photos of the photos and transfer that way but there has to be an easier way. Any pens i show here were taken with my digital camera. Any new photos I take today are taken with that camera

John, you may want to check your local Walgreens. When I was in Houston, I discovered they had all sorts of photo scanning, printing, etc. available at extremely good rates. They copied, scanned, printed photos for youngest daughters graduation, put phots to cd, disc and thumb drive, printed from disc and thumb drive. I believe they even had an option to scan and load to the cloud. For a 1 shot it could well be most affordable, even in quantity.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Man I would love to get your plan rates. 2 phones with a basic plan here is about $170Can ($130US) a month. House phone is $67Can on top of the cells.

JT I'm trying to remember if you have ever said you have an iPad. If you do it opens the possibility of hooking up to your scanner/printer either directly, through a flash drive or SD card.
Pete thanks will have to look into that. I do not have an Ipad but this is the thought down the road to be able to get these photos to digital so I can show on an Ipad.

My Photo Album
Old 04-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDucks2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

John, you may want to check your local Walgreens. When I was in Houston, I discovered they had all sorts of photo scanning, printing, etc. available at extremely good rates. They copied, scanned, printed photos for youngest daughters graduation, put phots to cd, disc and thumb drive, printed from disc and thumb drive. I believe they even had an option to scan and load to the cloud. For a 1 shot it could well be most affordable, even in quantity.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Yes I have seen these and yes my Walgreens as well as my drugstore has them. Did not look at price. I will have to compare to FedX and see about price as well as quality.

My Photo Album
Old 04-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 18

Have you tried Vuescan? Its likely to be compatible with your OS and will be able to run your scanner. I think its still a free download so it should cost nothing but time to try.

Stabilized blanks and more
Gary Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
EdM

Photos: 10

John,
That printer supports scanning to multiple destinations, including scan to email, cloud, and what I think would be your best solution, scanning to a usb drive, then transfer the files to your computer.

The main issue with using a multifunction device for this is that they, especially the more inexpensive ones, typically do not scan at resolutions higher than 300 or 600dpi, which is fine for text or mixed text/photo pages, but not good enough for the reproduction of high quality pictures.

I recently needed to scan several hundred family photos that were deteriorating (some were 75 years old), and I wound up taking pictures of them with my iPhone, then pushing them to my OneDrive account in the cloud. My Officejet 8630 just wasn't up to the task !

As I'm sure you've heard before, XP is a dinosaur, and while it may still work for you, an upgrade to a Windows 7 or 10 PC is advised.

Happy to advise if you have any further questions!

BTW, most of the stand alone scanners are junk. You'd be better off to invest in a higher quality OfficeJet that can scan flatbed docs at 1200 dpi.....

Ed

Last edited by EdM; 04-13-2019 at 02:14 PM.
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-13-2019, 10:46 PM   #29 (permalink)

Thanks

I have no plans of updating the system on this computer. Just not worth the effort and if things are lost I am up the creek. I do back things up but will put on a new computer if I need to go that route. I will look into all the suggestions and go from there. Thanks everyone.

My Photo Album
Old 04-15-2019, 06:23 AM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 42

It may be time to upgrade to at least Win 7. MS just officially killed off all versions of XP. Up until now, they have sent out updates for the really bad security holes, but as of yesterday, they don't patch anything. There are some real nasties out there that can do things like record your keystrokes (think bank passwords) and such. Even though MS said they weren't supporting it, they have patched it for the really bad security holes for the past 17 years. No more...and they are going to kill off Win 7 next year. They are really pushing Win 10. The good news is that Win 10 is finally getting to be pretty solid.

You may find it difficult to find a scanner that will talk to XP. Try checking goodwill or something similar to see if you can find an older scanner that would work with the old OS.

Last edited by sbwertz; 04-15-2019 at 06:28 AM.
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads