Photos to Computer?? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

John

Yes - it is called - wait for it - a scanner.

I have an HP scanner on my desk next to my computer monitor - all I have to do is open the cover, lay the photograph or document on the glass window (face down), invoke the software, and scan the image. The output is typically a .jpg graphic image file. It cost less than $100 and plugs into a USB port on my computer. Scanners come with the software drivers needed to actually use them.

The scanner software provides the ability to do a preview, and then crop the scan to exclude unwanted stuff. It also has the ability to switch from color to gray scale or black/white, and to set the contrast and brightness, as well as the resolution of the scan. But it can also be used in 'dumb mode' where it defaults to a generic setting that works most of the time.

A scanner can be used as a copier (scan and then print) or to send faxes. However, to send faxes, it is necessary to have a telephone modem in your computer and to hook your computer up to a phone system - either a landline or a cell phone. My computer (which is newer than my scanner) doesn't have a modem, but that's not a problem because about the only people who routinely want faxes these days are lawyers (and I certainly don't want to have anything to do with them!) For ordinary folks, its good enough to scan a document to create a pdf file that you then transmit as an e-mail attachment.

The main purpose for a scanner is to create a digital image file, But depending on the software that comes with the scanner, it may also be possible to scan a printed document, and then convert the scan to text that can be imported into a word processor for editing.

You can also purchase so-called 'three in one' printers that both print and scan. The 'three' name is applied because they can also be used to send a fax. The price for a decent 'three in one' printer isn't all that different from the price for a basic printer. I currently have a basic HP wireless printer on top of a file cabinet on the other side of my office. One of the frustrations with printers is the cost of ink - a set of replacement ink cartridges for my printer costs about what I originally paid for the printer, and I typically burn through two sets per year. So I'm thinking that the next time I run out of ink, I will throw away both my printer and scanner, and purchase a new 'three-in-one' box to save space.

Most scanners are designed to scan ordinary material on opaque paper, and many can also do a passable scan from transparent things such as photographic negatives and slides. But if you need true photographic-quality scanning, there are specialty photo negative or slide scanners available. They are pretty expensive.
Instagram: @louie_powell_photo

Last edited by monophoto; 04-10-2019 at 11:45 AM.
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmachin View Post
John,

Rather than doing it yourself (especially if you have a lot that you want digitized), why not just send them out? Lots of services available online and most will provide color correction and enhancement for faded prints and slides. Just box your originals up and send them off. A couple of weeks later your originals come back with a dvd of your photos scanned at whatever resolution you asked for.

Here's a link to the current "Top Ten Reviews" site on scanning services.

https://www.toptenreviews.com/servic...ning-services/

For what it's worth, I used Scan Cafe for a thousand or so slides about 20 years ago and was quite pleased, but a lot of water has gone over the dam since then.

Bill
That maybe an idea. Thanks.

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 5

You can also just take a picture with your cell phone or other digital camera.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2019, 11:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4dan View Post

Use a flip phone so that is not good.

My Photo Album
Old 04-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Quote:

Our local news station always has a question for the day. Todays question:
QUESTION OF THE DAY: 30% of people say they won’t date someone if they have this. What is it?

The answer was "A flip phone"
CREID is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREID View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Quote:

Our local news station always has a question for the day. Todays question:
QUESTION OF THE DAY: 30% of people say they won’t date someone if they have this. What is it?

The answer was "A flip phone"
No worries there. Dating days are well over. I heard flip phones are making a comeback so I will be hip

My Photo Album
Old 04-12-2019, 05:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 5

My church has a Family History Library with an automated scanner that will let you scan photos and documents to a thumb drive or directly to your online account from www.familysearch.org. PM me if you want me to check if there is one close to you with this capability. They will have volunteers there that could help.

Danny

More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-12-2019, 07:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 68

JT; What model printer or scanner do you have? I would search first for a newer driver for your printer. Install it and see if you can scan photos.

There are services that will scan photos, but for large numbers of photos it may get pricey.

If you have the time, photos can be scanned one at a time, but this will get old FAST! They do make self-feeding scanners as others have noted. Epson FF-680W is about $530-$600, but it may be cost effective. Look around locally to see if there are any places you can use a scanner, Library, Historical society, Archive or the like.

Hope this helps...
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Warning: Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by monophoto View Post
. One of the frustrations with printers is the cost of ink - a set of replacement ink cartridges for my printer costs about what I originally paid for the printer, and I typically burn through two sets per year.
I received a PM from RANDYLS in response to this comment. He noted that using refillable cartridges can save quite a bit of money.

I appreciate Randy's comment, and in principle, I very much agree with his idea that the DIY approach can lead to considerable savings. For example, wife and I both wear glasses, and I routinely make eyeglass cleaner (equal quantities of isopropyl (rubbing)alcohol and demineralized water, and with a tiny drop of dishwashing detergent) that costs a fraction of what you have to pay at the pharmacy or the local eyeglass outlet. That approach makes a lot of sense in a lot of areas, and is very easy for those of us who are naturally 'tool oriented' to do.

Having said that, my experience with refillable or aftermarket solutions to printer ink have been less than satisfactory.
Instagram: @louie_powell_photo

Last edited by monophoto; 04-12-2019 at 07:58 AM.
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

Randy

Thanks I answered that question a couple posts back. I can get this done at FedX where many times I make large amount of copies. They have a scanner there that I can do them. never did that so not sure what quality they would be but it is a source. I will get all photos together and see how many I have and weigh the price to have a service do them or buy a unit to do them myself. It will only be a one time thing because all photos now are digital.

Louie

I did not respond to your post because I know what a scanner is and I too posted above that I have a printer/scanner/fax but it is not compatible to my operating system. None on the market are. This one said it was but turns out it is not. I had a tech load some older drivers just to get some functions to work with my computer. Scanning to the computer is not one.
I also tried refillable inks but had bad luck with that so I buy new when I see them on sale. I make alot of copies of patterns for my scrollsawing business. Sometimes I will use FedX copiers to do this and times I will do at home. Averages out about the same.

Thanks all for the replys. I am still reviewing my options.

My Photo Album
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads