Phelps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

As impressive as he is, how about Dara Torres? She clocked a faster time in the final leg of the women's medley relay than Jessicah Schipper, but couldn't make up the deficit. Two silver medals for a 41 year old female swimmer.

And even more impressive is Usain Bolt. He basically quit running at about 80 meters and still demolished the world record.

Last edited:

workinforwood

I can turn and finish a cigar in 4 minutes! I select the junk finish of choice and don't guarantee a perfect fit of course.

But seriously, I heard on the news here that Mark Spitz was not happy about the swimming situation. He is happy that Phelps is doing so well, but not happy that his record is going to be beat. He says, and I paraphrase"If there were 8 events when I was at the olympics, I would have one 8 golds too! But there was only 7, so it's not fair!" He want's an asterisk with the medals because there are more events now than back then. He also is mad because he had to pay to go to the olympics. Apparently there's a list of the top 10 olympians and he is one of them, and all of them were invited for free to the olympics but him. This is what he says...in an interview.

Daniel

I remember watching Mark Spitz win His 7. And I've been watching Phelps as well. I havn't had this much fun watching the Olympics for the last 16 years. I mark Phelps win by 0.01 of a sec. as one of the most exciting times I have seen. I did notice the coasting and was starting to say "Hey you don't do that" and just then the flag popped up on Phelps lane. I ran track for years. you never let up until you are through the finish line.

Daniel, couldn't agree with you more! For that reason, Bolt's premature victory celebration left a bad taste in my mouth, and far as I'm concerned, demonstrated poor sportsmanship. Just an alternate opinion, I guess.

Hosspen

Daniel, couldn't agree with you more! For that reason, Bolt's premature victory celebration left a bad taste in my mouth, and far as I'm concerned, demonstrated poor sportsmanship. Just an alternate opinion, I guess.

I agree. It gave me a good chance to explain to my young boys who are into sports that you can be a bad sport when you win just as easily as when you lose. It was a good lesson and like you say, compared to Phelps and his reactions and comments, WoW!

And Jerryr,
You are absolutely right about Torres. I loved her response when asked "what will you tell your 2 year old when she sees this race(Silver Medal) when she's older" ----I'll tell her "Never put an age limit on your dreams." I'm writing that one down.

Jarheaded

Most people can't even finish a cigarette as guick as this guy wins a gold medal. He did us proud.
Now the shame part. What was with the father of the gymnist telling her that the only medal is gold and the rest aren't good enough? Just getting that far is winning.

gerryr

If you want a display of poor sportsmanship, look at any clips of Maurice Green winning and especially when he got blown out in Athens. Bolt deserves a little slack, he's only been running competitively for about a year.

Daniel

Most people can't even finish a cigarette as guick as this guy wins a gold medal. He did us proud.
Now the shame part. What was with the father of the gymnast telling her that the only medal is gold and the rest aren't good enough? Just getting that far is winning.

Johnny, you have me laughing until I am about to fall out of my chair with the first comment. But you are right.
As for the good enough, My daughter was in a beauty pageant last summer. It probably cost me over $2000 dollars to get her there (Las Vegas), Stay for a weekend for three of us, buy all the clothes and what nots. I even rented a Tux that I wore for a grand total of about an hour. She didn't win a thing, but the experience was worth every penny. Those girls have to face nerves and stage fright just like anyone else would, remain composed better than most adults could while doing it, talk on stage through a microphone on a stage in Las Vegas. just having the nerve to go through it impressed me. She is a big winner in my mind, I will always be impressed with both her courage and how she carried herself through that 3 days. Medals and trophies are only chunks of metal or plastic. My little one has character.

Top Bottom