Pepper grinder question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneis

This is directed to some of you grinder makers. What types of wood are best for pepper grinders? I'm thinking that some types my not be good for health concerns, right...wrong? I want to make a couple for Christmas presents.

Wayne

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rtjw

Wayne, Great question. Griz gave one for me to do and I am wondering the same thing. I am also wondering if I need to finish the inside with something so the wood will be okay touching the pepper. Sorry to not answer you question and add another question to your list. But I am wondering just like you.

Daniel

Walnut, Cherry, and Maple are the three big ones.
lots of other fruits are good but you have to do your home work to make sure they are safe. No "well I didn't know it wasn't".
Most Exotics are out.
search e-bay for turning blanks for some great blocks.

skewzdust

Thanks for posting this. I have a couple of kits I have to make for LOML, actually they were supposed to be for Christmas last year. Don't laugh, I've been busy...
I hadn't thought about toxicity, and was thinking about an exotic. Oh well, she does like walnut.

JimGo

Just be careful with Walnut; IIRC, those with nut allergies may also have issues with that wood. The dust is known to cause allergic reactions, such as skin irritation, in woodworkers.

skewzdust

I didn't know about the nut allergies being related to walnut. Fortunately none of us are allergic to nuts but it's a good thing to keep in mind. I know about the skin irritation, but I just love turning walnut...

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Just be careful with Walnut; IIRC, those with nut allergies may also have issues with that wood. The dust is known to cause allergic reactions, such as skin irritation, in woodworkers.

I think most nut allergies are related to peanuts. Also, as far as I know the saw dust of walnut is the one that gives you the problems.

melogic

I have thought of Pepper Grinders for Christmas gifts also. What about the laminated color woods or Dymond woods? I saw these in one of the Woodcraft Magazine issues. ANy thoughts and/or concerns with these woods?

cozee

I have never done a pepper or salt mill but have been thinking about doing them. Why couldn't one simply use a inner liner of thin walled acrylic tubing allowing about any type of wood to be used?

lkorn

I think most nut allergies are related to peanuts. Also, as far as I know the saw dust of walnut is the one that gives you the problems.

Everyone is different, Although not a NUT, my wife is violently allergic to sunflower seeds. One touch on the tio of her tongue, and she's headded for the hospital.
However, I don't know if allergy to the nut, translates to the wood. I guess I'd just be safe and avoid trouble.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jeff,

There is a company called Chef Specialties, http://chefspecialties.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/18
with whom I have dealt for years. As I recall, they were judged "best restaurant mechanism" in a contest in France in late 90's. That is when I contacted them for the first time-I think I was their first "crafter" customer.

Their mechanism is stainless steel, easy to work with. NOTE: they are now selling some imported peppermills (finished products), so don't condemn their line if you have seen some that are second-rate. The link is to the mechanism.

If you want more than a few, contact me.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by cozee
<br />I have never done a pepper or salt mill but have been thinking about doing them. Why couldn't one simply use a inner liner of thin walled acrylic tubing allowing about any type of wood to be used?

Veeerrrryyyy Interesting!!!

Has anyone tried this???? Sounds like an inspired idea!!!!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Jeff,

There is a company called Chef Specialties, http://chefspecialties.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/18
with whom I have dealt for years. As I recall, they were judged "best restaurant mechanism" in a contest in France in late 90's. That is when I contacted them for the first time-I think I was their first "crafter" customer.

Their mechanism is stainless steel, easy to work with. NOTE: they are now selling some imported peppermills (finished products), so don't condemn their line if you have seen some that are second-rate. The link is to the mechanism.

If you want more than a few, contact me.
Thanks, Ed. Do you happen to have a copy of their instructions?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jeff,

I "adjusted" instructions from a magazine article in the mid-90's -have been doing it that way ever since. If you have any problems, let me know, I will be happy to make instructions for you, its pretty clear-cut.

SS

Is there any good evidence (anecdotal not accepted) that indicates that exotic woods cause problems when in contact with salt or pepper? I suspect that throwing out all "exotics" out is excessive and probably is not warranted in many cases.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Here is the site for the pepper mills that I use (the same as the Crush Grind that CSU sells) with the list of woods he uses... you will notice a lot of exotics....
http://www.allthingspepper.com/Mills/woodCollection.php

jkoehler

When I looked into this, I was told that cocobolo might be a problem. I was also told that you want a very had wood as the pepper corns and salt rocks are hard and can wreak havoc with the wood with the grinding that happens.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by jeff
<br />Any opinions on the best pepper grinder kit?

Jeff, I have used the new type of ceramic grinder mechanisms that can be had from either Craft Supplies and PennState. The can be used for either salt or pepper. As a matter of fact, PSI had an offering this summer for two mechanisms, the needed forstner drill bits, bit extension and a nice block of Osage Orange for two mills for a very reasonable price, just don't nail me how much it was (somewhere in the $60-$70 area). I just had bought some grinders from CraftSupplies, but the Penn State was a bit cheaper. The mechanisms are very nice, I made one for ourselves. The length can be adjusted, so you can make a mill up to 12 inches or so. I think they are similar to the ones Ed had mentioned.

Randy_

Originally posted by jkoehler
<br />...I was also told that you want a very had wood as the pepper corns and salt rocks are hard and can wreak havoc with the wood with the grinding that happens....

This is hard for me to understand. The grinding goes on entirely within the grinding mechanism and the pepper corns or salt crystals are never in contact with the wood. The wood is merely a hopper to feed the pepper or salt into the grinder. I just don't see how the wood could be damaged??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom