Penturning with the blind at June AAW Kansas City Symposium

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andi

Hello everyone,
This is Andi the blind woodturner. We now have set up woodturning programs for the blind and visually impaired in Tampa, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta. This year will be Kansas City. At the AAW Kansas City symposium we will as at past symposiums bring in a group of blind and visually impaired people from the local organization for them. The date is Friday June 23rd. We take them around the Instant Gallery where they can handle the Empty Bowl pieces, then we have a special session with them with tactile pieces, and finally we take them into the Youth Room area where they each make a pen, with one-on-one instruction from volunteers. This penturning session will be at 2pm and it is in the Trade Show area. If you are attending the symposium we can really use help in assisting our blind and visually impaired guests to each make and take home a pen they have made. It is very simple - we use mainly EasyWood tools and the blanks are already pre-drilled and somewhat rounded. It will take only about an hour, during the first rotation after the lunch hour.
If you can give us a little bit of your time doing this you will find it very rewarding. Contact me at 727-688-0520.
Thank you,
Andi

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Hi Andi....yes, I remember that....it will only take about an hour. That was three years ago and I'm still doing it! LOL.

If any of you get the opportunity to help one of these turners at the symposium, jump at the chance! You will never regret it. And if you happen to live in one of the cities she mentioned and can spare some time please volunteer at the turning projects.

We can use all kinds of help, even if it is only cutting, drilling and tubing blanks for us in your shop. We have one volunteer who can't come in during the weekdays because he runs a business, but he picks up kits and takes them home and preps blanks in the evening. I can't believe how much that helps. Being able to reach in and pick up a kit that is completely ready to turn means we can get more people on the lathes every session.

Andi

Sharon

Hi
Thank you for your inspiring update on the Blind Woodturning school in Arizona.
You took the ball and ran with it.
We are so fortunate to have you leading the way in Arizona.
I hope anyone that can help me in Kansas will please call. The experience will be one that will warm your heart forever!
Also if anyone would like to donate pen kits or key rings anything that would fit on a mandrel.
I will post the addeess for you to send directly to the school.
:tongue:

Andi

Kansas City address for supplies for their blind woodturner program

The address where any supplies can be sent is

Clay Berry,
Alphapointe association for the blind and visually impaired
7501 Prospect
Kansas City, MO 64132

These would be very much appreciated.

Thank you again.

Andi

Top Bottom