Pens from the IAP donation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Here are the first two pens from the latest box Mark sent us. They were turned by Stephanie, who is totally blind. She is one of our most experienced turners, and did these from start to finish without any help. Finish is Pens Plus.

1_gatsbys.jpg

Actually, she did have some help, I made sure that her sandpaper and micromesh were in the correct order before she used them, and I applied the finish to the paper towel for her. (Otherwise we tend to get a lot on the floor.)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Fantastic! I struggle turning when my face shield gets too dirty or my light isn't angled just right, I can't imagine the challenge it must have been to turn these. My congratulations to Stephanie!

sbwertz

Thank you all. They really are awesome, aren't they. They amaze me every day. Terrance, an 80 year old totally blind man from Jamaica turned six gatsby pens in two hours today, turning them two at a time on one mandrel. He was an avid woodworker all his life. He has been blind for five years, and told me I had given him back something he thought was lost forever. That's what keeps me going down there.

Here is a picture of Stephanie turning a handle for an ice cream scoop. That is her guide dog in the background.

1_stephanie.jpg

Last edited:

SteveG

Great work you do Sharon, helping these folks achieve and flourish in spite of their vision challenges. As a result, they are able to do great work also. Thanks for your efforts, and for posting the pen photos! :):)

Top Bottom