Pen Turning Lore XII - Einstein's Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables - XI

Einstein's Pen

If by the age of 26 you had:

Provided evidence for the Theory of Atoms
Enabled the determination of Avogadro's number (The size of molecules)
Solved the riddle of the Photoelectric Effect
Proposed the Theory of Relativity
Detailed a theory of Mass-energy equivalence: E=mc2

I suspect everyone around you would want to insure that you had a dependable pen handy…

Can you imagine that every time Albert Einstein had a random thought to jot down he had to hunt for a pen; and if he didn't find one quick enough, what discoveries may have been lost to the world? Not a happy thought.

As it happens, Einstein did have a favorite pen, used extensively from 1912 - 1921 when he was exploring and refining his Theory of Relativity and Gravitation. We know this because in 1921 he gave that pen as a gift to a close friend and colleague: Paul Ehrenfest. Ehrenfest was one of Einstein's colleagues who proof-read and critiqued his work. When Ehrenfest became a professor at the University of Leiden, Einstein made his pen a gift.

The gifted pen is now in the archives of the Boerhaave Museum in Leiden, and is reported to be a Waterman Taper-Cap 22 or 24. This was a readily available pen in the 1920's. While Einstein also had a fond liking of the Pelican 100N, the Faber Castell 52 and some products from Wertfullhalter, he always reflected on his fondness for the Waterman.

And as Einstein related:

"There may be better, there may be worse,
but for my needs, a simple Vulcanized mixture of
hard rubber, sulfur and linseed oil is preferred;
this cast pen is all I care for."

So, the pen that documented the most influential discoveries of the 20'th century was a Cast Black Chased Hard Rubber Fountain pen. (The first celluloid pens came about in the 1930's).

So all you pen blank casters,
what have you got in your mold tonight?
It just might win the
Casting Contest..
(More details TBA).

Edit: Just a random thought, since Einstein was interested in time-travel, you never know who might be watching the casting contest for new innovations.

Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables I - John Hancock's Signature
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables II - Elon Musk and the Chase for his Roadster
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables III - The Scribe, the Master Segmenter and World Peace.
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables IV - The Path to Pen Turning Enlightenment.
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables V - The Tortoise and the Hare.
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables VI - The War of the Roses.
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables VII - The First Marathon
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables VIII - The Fountain of Youth
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables IX - Banjo O'Leary and the Call of the Kookaburra.
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables X - Pandora's Box.
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables XI - Leonardo da Vinci.

Addendum: The Four Little Penturner's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Fine job explaining all that Einstein did. He and I share one common thing however, our hair! Especially in the morning when I wake up. When it comes to smarts however, he's way in front of me on that one.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Fine job explaining all that Einstein did. He and I share one common thing however, our hair! Especially in the morning when I wake up. When it comes to smarts however, he's way in front of me on that one.

Thanks Tom. As opposed to most of the previous "Fables," other than some free license on the quote, the particulars are accurate as far as I can tell.

Sincere regrets on the "bedhead."

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
And here I thought by the end of your story you were going to offer Vintage Ebonite for the Kitless contest participants.

Good reading.

I have little experience with vintage turning materials, but it was interesting to learn a bit of the early days of fountain pen materials. Most of this came from the "Fountain Pen Network," which has several nice threads that linked the documents.

I have turned some recent made ebonite (India??), and was very pleased with the result. I guess "Oldies, can still be goodies." Or at least that's what I hope my wife thinks.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Cool story! The only thing I have in common with Einstein is a messy desk. While his was covered with intricate notes and stuff, mine is just covered with stuff.:redface:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Cool story! The only thing I have in common with Einstein is a messy desk. While his was covered with intricate notes and stuff, mine is just covered with stuff.:redface:

Probably true, but I also have a favored fountain pen from my very first IAP Pen Swap (I got the better of that trade). Yes the trade was very impromptu, but still meaningful; Memory is not kind so not sure if it is "Cracked Ebonite" or Cracked Lucite." But still cherished as a favorite pen. And the vintage may be closer to Einstein's materials than you think.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Interesting thread. Was not aware of the theme of these threads. Need to take some time and read all of them.

15'th Anniversary of IAP - The February BASH Contests. Just some additional reading material to spur the creative juices for the contests.

Top Bottom