The Pen Master

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I saw an interesting question brought up on a scrollsawing forum that I visit. I have also seen this question asked on a general woodworking forum also. So I thought I would bring it here and allow the members to debate it here also.

The question that was asked how does one become a Master scroller is there criteria for this and who anoints you? As I mentioned this was asked on a woodworking forum to. How do you become a master woodworker.

Now this term gets used a lot in the trades such as Master Electrician, Master boiler maker and Master Carpenter and so on. But that term usually is associated with a training program and the advancement as you go to school and get on the job training and when graduated you can assume the title master. You can have this in the Martial Arts world as well as many other fields.

Not quite the same with what we are talking about. There is no training program for pen making, scroll sawing or other hobby oriented fields. Now someone is going to bring up that there is a Guild in Penturning and if you submit a pen and are judged by your peers to do an outstanding job you are a member of the Guild. But does that now make you a Master??? Who are those people in the Guild to say the work you did is above standard and deserves membership. Self appointed is my thoughts. I really do not put much credence into the Guild thing. So I do not use that a criteria to becoming a Master.

I will try to give my opinion and mind you it is just my opinion. I will relate it to pen turning but it is somewhat on the same lines as I posted on the scrolling site. The label Master is basically a title that can be attached to anyone who has trained in a certain field for some time and has developed the skills and knowledge to become someone that can stand out from the rest of the crowd. He or she can not only do the necessary tasks of that field with ease but can also teach others. They should have had works that won awards and have been in numerous art galleries. Maybe even been published in ways of books written by them or had articles or books written about them. To be recognized by all in the field chosen such as penturning and even reached out to other medium. I believe they need to be not only recognized but also respected in the Pen turning world.

So to sum it up. Do you have what it takes to be a Master Pen Turner?? Would you walk around and tell people you are a Master Pen Turner??? Put it on your business card. Will it carry extra weight in the world of Pen turning???

Thoughts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

You've been here long enough to remember in the beginning of IAP how we tried to develope a program much like what you mention in your post. Remember the resistance and Division? Is a penturners.org the same as a Penmaker? Kit maker vs kitless...oh, sorry. Component pen turner or non-component pen maker. Don't think I want to open that can of worms again. And, I know that is not what you are trying to do.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

jttheclockman

Don I have been here quite awhile and do remember the heated conversations. Heck I could not even get a Hall of Fame forum set up with all the resistance when I pursued that. But in the long run that is somewhat how the now famous IAP pens came about. I believe this question is a broader question and with new members maybe the feelings and thoughts have changed somewhat over time. But being you brought those topics up you can include that in the question when one asks themselves what is a Master pen turner. Do they need to be able to do all the different things that you mentioned such as kitless and casting and such. Maybe there never will be a Master Pen Maker. Just some food for thought out there as we ponder all the contests that will be coming up for votes shortly. See how this all ties in. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

terry q

Since I started scrolling in the mid 90s I estimate a minimum of 5000 hours behind my saw. I consider myself to be an excellent scroller and teacher. I have also won awards in jurried shows. Does that make me a master? I would like to think so, but I'm not going to call myself one.

David M

Then there are some on here that would be grand masters.Thanks to all on here that has helped this ruff wood gouger cut out some pens.

Top Bottom