Pen bases/stands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rockb

Hey Guys....a quickie question for you. I see very few finished pens here on IAP that show a matching base. Wondering why not.....no right or wrong answer here....just curious. I have a few.....thousand..give or take... pieces of wood, all matching species of the pb's I sell, natural edges, etc that would be nice add ons to a pen. Would appreciate some thoughts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Unlike everyone else, I have a difficult time selling pens locally, and I'd certainly hate to get 'beat-up' anymore then necessary on the amount of time it takes to make a custom stand only to give it away with the sale.

I love seeing 'desk sets' though, they do look awesome!

Scott (I know too many cheap people) B

rockb

I hear ya Scott.....being a "if ya can't build it with a chainsaw, it's too hard" guy, I was thinking more of boring a hole in a slab...a little Deft...and yer good to go. : (
Thanks for your comment..
Rocky

JD Combs Sr

Rocky, I have done several hundred pens but only half dozen or so stands. All the stands were made for sentimental/memorial type pens which I think is more appropriate with a stand. Just my two cents.

hcpens

I have often seen a pen overshadowed by the backdrop, I like the idea of pen material and showing the raw material it is made from, but only if YOU SEE the pen first, not the backdrop.

Thanks for asking.

plantman

I usually only make stands for pens that will be displayed in my collection, as I don't sell them very often, but do give a number away as gifts. As Scott says, if they aren't high end or as JD puts it of sentimental/memorial value, they are usually pocket pens. The cost in time and money are never recovered unless they are simple, as you stated, or you have the extra time and wood on hand to make it. They are usually just a give-away to sell the pen and will never be used by the receiver unless it is a desk pen. Photo shows example of holder made for custom pen, and it shouldn't be the focal point, thus taking away from the pen itself. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0007 (362x640).jpg
    DSCF0007 (362x640).jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0008 (267x640).jpg
    DSCF0008 (267x640).jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Top Bottom