PayPal what is the angle.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I didn't want to jump on the other PayPal posting so I would like to know what the angle is. I have had a few things for sale on Craigslist etc and have had people say they want to buy my item but can't come to see it as they are in the navy or some other excuse and would like to pay for the item right now and just need your PayPal info so the payment can be made and they will send a friend over to pick it up. You kinda know it's BS but you have to give your papal info out anyway for a legit buyer, so what are these people trying to do.

Lin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cjester

I didn't want to jump on the other PayPal posting so I would like to know what the angle is. I have had a few things for sale on Craigslist etc and have had people say they want to buy my item but can't come to see it as they are in the navy or some other excuse and would like to pay for the item right now and just need your PayPal info so the payment can be made and they will send a friend over to pick it up. You kinda know it's BS but you have to give your papal info out anyway for a legit buyer, so what are these people trying to do.

Lin

Most likely using stolen credit cards. You accept payment before the card is frozen, and they get the goods before the bounce hits your account.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I agree with Carl's suspicion. I would tell them to have their friend bring cash when they come to pick up the goods & they can reimburse their friend via paypal if they want.

Herb G

There are a ton of Paypal scams out there. Do a Google search & you'll see more than you ever thought possible.
I had an older friend selling some things off after his wife passed away.
He posted them on CL, and immediately got flooded with the scam about
"I'll send you a money order, you deposit it, and send me the rest back thru Paypal." I told him to forget anything like that & move on.

He didn't know much about scamming, so I helped him out.
He ended up selling his items to a reputable dealer.

Do your homework before selling anything.
Do not be a victim of a rip off.

After a couple times, now, I tell them that for security for both parties, the transaction will take place at the xxxxxxx police parking lot. Never hear from them again, why is That?

Last edited:

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
My PP was tapped for $1200 so, after they made it good, I closed the account.
After we have a couple of phone conversations and I mail something to your house and you call me when you get it and read it to me, I will accept your personal check. I know where you live, your phone number and where you cashed the check. It takes a few days but has worked so far.
WB

lorbay

I always add to my Craigslist for sale ads. " If you want to send me a check and have your movers come pick it up, send cash with your movers" and "if you send me an offer and I havent responded it means Im ignoring you.

Ha. Ha. Love it.
Lin

Top Bottom