Paul harvey's "Rest of the Story" LONG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtjw

Okay, this is for everyone that wanted to know the long story behind the Pentarsia pen. Eagle and i talked today and he said to post the rest of the story.

Eagle had called me several times about getting some axis deer antler for him to do some stuff with. I was kinda hesitant at first about talking to him on the phone because of the reputation he had. But we talked several times and we each called back and forth.

When talking about getting some axis deer antler we talked about some of his blanks and about trading for one of his blanks. he asked which one I liked and I mentioned the stained glass window pen he had done. We talked back and forth several times and he asked again if that is what I wanted. I said yes and asked if he could do something else with it. I asked if he could put a blue cross in it to look like a church stained glass window. After some silence he said he would have to think about it.

he sent me ten pictures of stained glass windows with crosses in them and asked me to number them from most liked to least liked. He said his wife would go from there.

Over the next six weeks, Eagle and I talked almost daily and I began to realize that eagle was more than he put on to be. It started out as a little blue cross and expanded more and more. I would have never guessed it would come out like it did. If you remember on some posts that him and I were talking and I was saying he was being mean it was because he would not send picture of it to me but would send to lou. (still upset about that one!)

he started out with a test piece that he did (the pen you see now) and worked on the second piece (my pen) after he figured everything out. He did not get it ready in time for the contest on purpose because he does not like the idea of the contest. He only wanted it to go for the auction. This was argued many times over with him until one day when I realized that eagle is a true friend that I would do anything for. I have not asked about the contest since.

I have even asked for him to drill the blank and get it ready to put the tubes in it because I am scared to death of this blank. If I mess it up when I get it I will be very upset.

This has all been done for the hospital. No one knows it better than Eagle. It started out as only talking about the pen and has wondered off into any and every subject you can think of. people have emailed me and called me about what eagle is like and how can I be friends with him. I wouldnt trade it for anything. there are three dear friends to me on this forum that I would do anything for. eagle is one. I will stand up for anyone when i see them being wronged. that includes eagle.

When Eagle says that there is something spiritual about this pen. He is saying it from the bottom of his heart. Too many things have happened with this pen that can not be explained and can only happen with divine intervention.

Whoever gets this pen will be blessed. I will be bidding on it at the auction but it will not stay with me. It is called "One For Giving" and has been named for a reason. Eagle may give it to the auction but it will not end there.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Johnny--your account puts into perspective the many sides of people, not just Eagle, that we often miss in an online forum. Thanks for sharing the development of a significant friendship. As for keeping the picture from you, I could just [:p] but I will instead own up to the fact that many of those pictures were used in figuring out how to make this whole thing work. Eagle just couldn't show something until it was finished and he had done his best. I may have gotten an early view, but you got the best one!

JimGo

Very nice Johnny. I can't say I am surprised that Eagle didn't want to contribute to the "contest" side of things - that is consistent with what I've seen of him. Sure, he can be a pain, but I've seen him be very generous to people here, and this is no exception.

I look forward to seeing the pen, and hearing more about the auction. Best of luck with both!

rtjw

Ron, you dont know who PAUL HARVEY is? You know the radio guy? Maybe it is just a Texas thing. I figured everyone knew paul Harvey, heck I bet even Frank knows paul and he lives in ARKANSAS!

alamocdc

Thanks, Johnny! You are not alone. Eagle and I have, and I hope will continue to have, our share of conversations. He is definitely more than is oftentimes seen from the perspective of this forum. Yes, he can be curt, abrupt and even rather opinionated, but haven't we all at some point or another? He has helped me figure out a solution to something I was working on more than once. That is his nature... the nature of giving as has been so aptly demonstrated by this pen and it's ultimate, as yet unknown, destination. Sorry, Eagle, I couldn't help myself. [;)]

gerryr

Paul Harvey isn't a Texas thing. I grew up in Montana and he's even here.

I had a fairly long conversation with Eagle yesterday, my first, but hopefully not the last. It was enjoyable and informative and I certainly have a deeper understanding of him than I did before.

I've had the priviledge of knowing a few people like Eagle, driven by their own internal need to create, and they're a great inspiration. Playing in a small jazz group, I can easily be pushed beyond my own limitations by someone who's really inventive, but I have to be tuned in to that inspiration. People need to tune in, it's a wonderful experience.

Originally posted by rtjw
<br />Ron, you dont know who PAUL HARVEY is? You know the radio guy? Maybe it is just a Texas thing. I figured everyone knew paul Harvey, heck I bet even Frank knows paul and he lives in ARKANSAS!

I never listen to talk radio, I'm one of those boring people who listen to classical music on PBS.

But I do know who Imus is!

Perhaps we should take a space from the name "one for giving" and call it "one forgiving". That is the whole point of the cross to begin with, "Jesus forgives" and we need to practice the same with each other.

swm6500

I think it is great that such a friendship has developed between Johnny and Eagle. If I remember correctly, there were some rough times between them in the past. Just shows you that people can disagree and still be great friends.

Dario

Originally posted by swm6500
<br />I think it is great that such a friendship has developed between Johnny and Eagle. If I remember correctly, there were some rough times between them in the past. Just shows you that people can disagree and still be great friends.

Most of my best friendships actually started that way. [:D]

"Forged with Fire" LOL

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by pastorbill1952
<br />Perhaps we should take a space from the name "one for giving" and call it "one forgiving". That is the whole point of the cross to begin with, "Jesus forgives" and we need to practice the same with each other.

Forgive me Pastor Bill, but I must respectfully disagree with the removal of the space. I will make my reasons clear, but to do so I must address the rest of my post to Johnny.

Johnny,

I think that it is wonderful that you are bidding on this particular pen. After all the spirit of this <s>contest</s>, I mean auction, is that each and every one of us gave our pens to you to do as you see fit with them. Like so many others at the time, I posted that you should forget the prize you initially offered and give it to the hospital in the memory of Noah. In some ways, I wish there were no prizes offered for so called prize winning pens. I feel that all the pens are prize winners as they were given rather than entered. I would be appalled to think that anyone entered pens with an eye on winning rather than giving.

Bid on Eagle's pen, and bid proudly. No one with the brain power of a grasshopper would question your motives. I knew immediately when you stated that you were bidding on the pen that it would not stay in your possession. This is a pen that belongs on the desk of someone who saves souls, rather than that of someone who tends to the shell left behind.

And so you see Pastor Bill the reason for my respectful insistence that you re-insert the space. This pen truly is one for giving.

So yesterday I never heard of Paul Harvey. Watching the news last night, who do I se? Bush giving Paul Harvey (among others) the Medal of Freedom.

I gotta get out more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom