Passing on the Craft

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Earlier this week, I had the pleasure of mentoring a brand new turner who had never held a chisel. This young lady sought out our woodturning club, came to a meeting and signed up for a skill enhancement session.
With an all day session, we had plenty of time to learn the basics...parts of the lathe, different types of tools and what they do and how to use them. I used a piece of green Poplar about 2.5" diameter with bark as a starting piece.
She was an excellent listener and did as taught.
This first session was a "Process " learning session....no finished product when done other than a spindle with some beads and coves. Next time will be a "Project" session and will most likely turn an ice cream scoop or pizza cutter handle and perhaps a bottle stopper.
She quickly mastered using a spindle roughing gouge both scraping and in an angled cutting mode. Next came the skew and she did very well making planing cuts with no catches! We then moved on to a parting tool, spindle Gouge and a round nosed scraper. She did very well! Still learning the nuances of rolling a bead with the spindle gouge but coming along nicely for a first go.

Again, I thoroughly enjoyed sharing turning with a new turner. It is very rewarding to pass on your passion and knowledge.

Attachments

• CEE9E110-8A04-43D1-A1AD-DE1D0AAE271F.jpg
    CEE9E110-8A04-43D1-A1AD-DE1D0AAE271F.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 182
  • AD6490C8-1332-4BAE-BD78-F1E89571D5F7.jpg
    AD6490C8-1332-4BAE-BD78-F1E89571D5F7.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 172
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

She is very fortunate to have a person like yourself invest time in helping her learn things that could take years by trial and error.

You exemplify the IAP spirit.

Woodchipper

My complements on taking time to teach another about turning. It seems you have a good regimen for teaching the lathe, tools, etc. It's nice that she is becoming comfortable with the skew. Many shy away from it.

Charlie_W

Glad to see that skew in her hand.

My thought is that if one can use a roughing gouge at a an angle, the skew is the next step. Rolling a bead with a spindle gouge employs the same technique....cutting edge is presented at an angle to the work and support from the bevel behind the cutting edge.
Presentation of the cutting edge to the rotating piece is key

JimB

Isn't it a great feeling! Our local club works with 2 Community Centers in the area. People sign up through the community center and our club brings the lathes and all other tools. We can have a maximum of 6 students and we provide 6 instructors so everyone gets one-on-one instruction. I've been an instructor at several of them. I don't know who has more fun, me or the students!

Great job passing on the skills Charlie!

Charlie_W

Isn't it a great feeling! Our local club works with 2 Community Centers in the area. People sign up through the community center and our club brings the lathes and all other tools. We can have a maximum of 6 students and we provide 6 instructors so everyone gets one-on-one instruction. I've been an instructor at several of them. I don't know who has more fun, me or the students!

You can't beat one on one mentoring.
I was glad to have the whole day instead of a 2 or 3 hour timeframe to teach.
Next time I see her, I will also introduce penturning. I may just have a few turned pens laying around!:wink:

WriteON

You can't beat one on one mentoring.
I was glad to have the whole day instead of a 2 or 3 hour timeframe to teach.
Next time I see her, I will also introduce penturning. I may just have a few turned pens laying around!:wink:
Nice going. Everyone enjoys the craft. Turning is fun and fascinating. Carry on.

Barnmb7117

I also meet a very nice guy through the IAP had me come to his house and showed me how to turn a pen and recommend some tools and supply's to get. and the member was Dave Newman "Bioguy" also KenV and Southernclay sent me some wood.

Top Bottom