Pardon me while I rant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I was out of town for work most of this last week. I returned home last night and my lovely wife mt me at the door and proudly declared that she had cleaned and "organized" my shop. She gave me a tour of my newly organized shop and due to the fact that I was tired after a day of traveling I did not realize just how bad it was going to be. Well I am starting to comprehend what I am up against.

First my pen mandrel was no where to be found (it had been deemed be a file and placed in a newly designated file drawer),

My magic skew was somehow associated with my ratchets and sockets,

My screw drivers are now in at least 4 separate places, I am not sure as to the system behind this division.

My finishing supplies are divided across numerous shelves,

I am missing a Jacobs chuck. Chucks and mandrels are in numerous places.

She loves to hang up stuff, I hate to hang up stuff, I now have stuff hanging every where with no clue as to why it is placed where it is.

I have tried to explain in the past that tools need to be organized by function and that she could not properly organize tools without understanding what they were used for.

I am trying to look for my stuff without blowing up. I am praying for patience.

I thank that I will organize my wife's kitchen the next time she leaves town.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I haven't had that problem and I "think" LOML knows better than to mess with my tools. However, her "kitchen" organization reflects your description of your wife. I cook about 30% - 40% of the time and know where everything is. Years ago, I tried to put things together in drawers by "function" but she resists! :rolleyes:

ALA

Lol. I know how this can be. My wife would do the same thing if she had the chance. Just take it in stride, keep your cool. Eventually, as you work in the shop, every thing will be back in place. :biggrin:

jttheclockman

Ask her if she wants to take a road trip. My shop could use a cleaning and I could care less how and where things were put as long as that you could actually walk in there again. :):)

I read these and lets face it you do not even know where you put your stuff. There is no rhyme or reason where you put things. That is why we spend so much time looking for things when we do need them. You all are kidding yourself and trying to make us believe it. Now go look where you put that set of calipers and try finding them:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

JimB

That would drive me nuts. I guess I'm lucky. My wife never goes in my shop when I'm not here. She has on a few occasions helped me clean the shop by using the shop vac or taking the garbage out but she never tries to organize it as she knows she doesn't know what anything is for or where it should go.

robutacion

Well, I suppose you could let her know how you feel without saying a word and that is to, re-arrange the kitchen for her, there is, if she is the kitchen queen in some houses, that is not the case and it wouldn't work so, change a few things around and let her having to look around for her stuff when she needs it.

You both could then sit down and share the common thoughts about messing out with each other's tools...!:wink::biggrin:

PS: Make sure the dog house is big enough, though.:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Oh Cody what a spot you find yourself in right now.

First focus on the heart. Your wife's intentions are sweet. This is her way of showing her love to you because she knows your shop is important to you. Thank her for loving you. This sounds like her love language is to "do" something for you.

For right now, take lots of deep breaths and as you use tools put them back in an organized fashion but where they work and function for you. Don't do this in one day Cody. Stay focused on her heart. Think about what you really can put on wall storage that will work. It sounds like your wife likes organization so if you can reorganize with that in mind, you will keep the peace. Eventually you will get your shop back the way you like it but incorporating her need for organizational appearance.

When the time is right you need to explain to her if you were to rearrange the kitchen or her office, or craft room according to how you think it should be, it would be seen by her as chaos and a disaster. Your intentions would be good, again showing your love for her, but she would hate it and need to fix it.

I think if she could understand this, she would not mind you taking the reigns on your shop. However something bugged her so talk it out and be respectful of each other. That is part of this thing called love.

By the way I like wall storage too just ask Charlie. Good luck!

Cwalker935

Well I decided to show my wife how much I appreciate her efforts by taking her to the Whskey & Wood Artisan Festival held in Fredericksburg, VA. Amazing how looking at some fantastic woodworking and a bourbon tasting will calm the savage beast. I even bought her a bottle of Bowman Brothers Small Batch Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey and a barrel stave for pen blanks. I know how to treat a lady.

IMG_1676.jpg

Dale Lynch

You shouldn't get too upset.She tried to suprise you with a nice new shop while you were away.That's sweet of her.

I wish my better half would clean up my shop.Probably find tools I forgot about.

Herb G

I know exactly how you feel. When I was in the hospital 2 years ago, recovering from cancer surgery, my wife found 2 large boxes of exotic wood bowl blanks I had in the basement. She threw them away.

Now, before you go judging me, I am not a nasty person by nature.
I do not mess with other people's stuff, and certainly not my wife's stuff. I expected her to do the same for me. Especially when I was in the hospital. She got the message.
I didn't get mad, or even yell at her. I calmly told her she needed to replace what she threw out.

She agreed.

Skeleton2014

My wife did something like this 25 years ago. I turned it into opportunity. If I can't find something she's "reorganized" within 2 minutes, I get a new (and more expensive) one. Doesn't happen much in the past few years. But, I think your wife needs to treat you to a new Jacobs chuck, a couple of mandrels, a new skew, etc. If you find them at a later time, then that's a bonus!
Also, I have a sign in my shop that reads, "Chisels are not to be used as screwdrivers!" That's from our first year of marriage and I've had several new sets of chisels to replace the chipped ones.
Jeff

stonepecker

To all you gentlemen that are having problems with your wives......

Please let the girls know I make 'cheap' tombstones also.
They can pay for them with either tools or woods. I will deliver the stones and take home those worthless things.

I stay out of her craft room and away from her sewing. She leaves my hobbies alone. That has been the way of things here even before we were married. Our first Christmas together I gave her a new sewing machine and for Valentine's Day she got the matching surger.

Cody, you could always 'organize' her purse.

Keep smiling everyone.

jamesburger

My father takes cooking pretty seriously, and I remember when I was a kid that he was making a soup essence. That basically meant making soup and boiling it down for days to a tiny amount of concentrate. When he finally finished it, he turned off the low simmering stove and walked away to his office, letting the essence cool. My mother came home during that interval, entering the kitchen through the garage, and saw a large, dirty, nearly empty pot on the stove. Being the tidy person she is, she dutifully picked it up, dumped the essence down the drain, scrubbed the pot clean, and put it back in the cabinet.

Last edited:

tomas

Ask her if she wants to take a road trip. My shop could use a cleaning and I could care less how and where things were put as long as that you could actually walk in there again. :):)

I read these and lets face it you do not even know where you put your stuff. There is no rhyme or reason where you put things. That is why we spend so much time looking for things when we do need them. You all are kidding yourself and trying to make us believe it. Now go look where you put that set of calipers and try finding them:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Guilty, as charged.
Tomas

Well I decided to show my wife how much I appreciate her efforts by taking her to the Whskey & Wood Artisan Festival held in Fredericksburg, VA. Amazing how looking at some fantastic woodworking and a bourbon tasting will calm the savage beast. I even bought her a bottle of Bowman Brothers Small Batch Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey and a barrel stave for pen blanks. I know how to treat a lady.

View attachment 155529

Bowmans is awesome. Caramel cream and their maple syrup are the bomb!

PenPal

On the occasion of the birth of our second child I did an O&M of the kitchen, pots next to the stove etc when the wife arrived home it was a two week stay in hospital 58 yrs ago. She screamed for ten minutes non stop, insisting I put it al back where it was. I could not remember her to me haphazard system. I have never since alered anything in the cupboards.

When we first married we had our block of land and after a yr moved onto the block, living in a small shed for a supposed 3 mths that turned into twelve months.

My Mums habit was boiling water to wash up, this I did and some of the special Doulton stuff had minor cracks in it gifts from the family so I went to the shed door and disposed of it. I have never been invited to wash up or wipe up now for 61 1/2 yrs.

Takes a while to shake down. I am not complaining.She is the love of my life.

Peter.

Sataro

I look at this from the standpoint that you must have a clean workshop. My wife will not set foot in my shop. She is afraid that she might break a leg or something from the clutter...

Cwalker935

View attachment 155529

Bowmans is awesome. Caramel cream and their maple syrup are the bomb!

I left the Caramel cream out of my earlier story. Lida would not leave that place without a bottle after the tasting. She claimed that she was buying it for me. In retrospect, I guess that I will have keep the small batch bourbon and the barrel stave for my own use.

MTViper

My dad was a pipe smoker. Those who have been around pipes know they must periodically be cleaned by scraping out the bowl and running a pipe cleaner down the stem. My mother decided she'd help Dad out one day when he was at work so she cleaned all his pipes ... with dish soap and water. They were married 61 years and she never did that again.

My dad was a pipe smoker. Those who have been around pipes know they must periodically be cleaned by scraping out the bowl and running a pipe cleaner down the stem. My mother decided she'd help Dad out one day when he was at work so she cleaned all his pipes ... with dish soap and water. They were married 61 years and she never did that again.

When I was about 4 or 5, my dad was a pipe smoker too... one day I decided to blow soap bubbles, using his pipe.... the soap tasted funny and for some reason Dad gave up the pipe?? :rolleyes:

Rounder

Been married 42 years. Early on my wife tried making rules for me. My response was that if a rule is made, it applies to us both. That made a huge difference in the rule making. She knows if she cleans up my stuff, I am going to clean up her stuff. Has worked well for us.

Cwalker935

Been married 42 years. Early on my wife tried making rules for me. My response was that if a rule is made, it applies to us both. That made a huge difference in the rule making. She knows if she cleans up my stuff, I am going to clean up her stuff. Has worked well for us.

Dang wish I had been that wise.

ilikewood

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones too....and I've only been married to my wife for 1 1/2 years. She won't touch even the simplest of my things....which kinda sucks too. That means I have to pick them up or clean them myself. Heavy sigh.

gimpy

I told my wife that my tools are organized, meaning that I know where they cause I used them on the last job....and that is where it "should" be.....

Have to give her credit though, she was only trying to help.......:rolleyes:

Rounder

Dang wish I had been that wise.

Probably 2nd most wise thing I have done. First was finding someone that has put up with me for that long. Last Wednesday was 42 years. Dang that is tough saying when only 61.:eek::eek::eek::biggrin:

MDWine

Sounds like you've worked past your hostilities, you already knew how this would pan out... sometimes ya just need to vent.

Bowman's was a good call, sounds like she enjoyed it, and sounds like you're holding hands again! ;o)

Wifey stays out of organizing the shop, I stay out of everything else. Sometimes I come home and find the entire interior different colors and all the furniture rearranged... gotta check the house number to be sure I'm in the right place.

edicehouse

I read all the posts and got some good laughs. Great thread Cody.

I don't think he was actually mad for his wife doing that. I think we have all been there, where we are either doing it, or having it done to us.

Top Bottom