Opinions on this lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
That's the one I started with 4 years ago & I've been very happy with it. I wasn't sure where I'd want to go with turning at the time, so I didn't want to spend a lot on a starter lathe. I found that I really enjoy this hobby, so I stepped up to a full-size NOVA DVR-XP last year. I still use my Excelsior for some small projects but I mostly keep a sanding disk on it for squaring blanks. I'd probably do the same thing if I were starting over, it everyone has to evaluate their own circumstances.

Harbor Freight sells the exact same lathe - just a different label & paint job. Depending on who has them on sale at any given time, it may be about the same price or a little cheaper at one place or the other. I think I paid $200 for my Excelsior when it was on sale at Rockler (I also prefer the black color over the HF green).

Rick_G

For the price it looks ok my only concern would be if you want to turn bowls at a later date. The lowest speed is about double what I like to start with if I have a bowl blank that is out of round or not balanced.

KenV

Mediocre is the term I would use.

Expect more runout (slop) and more problems with out of round with mandrel.

Jump straight to turning between centers because it is a process more tolerant of slop.

Not the quality of gear that will give low hassle high quality outcomes.

But it will get by and with patience and skill produce higher quality pens.

There are better quality lathes that will make turning more successful and more productive, but they cost more.......

But if that is all you can afford, that is all you can get.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
For the price it looks ok my only concern would be if you want to turn bowls at a later date. The lowest speed is about double what I like to start with if I have a bowl blank that is out of round or not balanced.

This is a good point. I turned a few small bowls on my Excelsior & I spent a little extra time to get the blanks as well balanced as possible just for that reason. Around 6" diameter is about as large as I would feel comfortable with on this lathe - both from a standpoint of its speed options & also because it is a "mini" lathe and is just not built for large work.

BeeAMaker

I'm just looking for additional lathes. People in my makerspace are wanting to turn pens and such, but I only have one lathe. My shop Fox was $459.00 so looking for something cheep that the MakerHive can afford for others to get started in. Then they can decide how much they want to spend once they get hooked ;)
I like that it has MT2 and 1x8 threads, same as the SF so parts will be interchangeable.

This might fill the bill

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Like Ken noted, this is not a high precision lathe. There is a little slop in the tailstock, but I have learned how to position it properly before locking it down so I get good alignment with the headstock.

I also recommend not using a full length mandrel. I use a mandrel saver which gives the same effect as turning between centers. The important thing is to keep the head & tail sticks as close together as possible to minimize alignment error effects.

I think that it would work well for your stated purpose. Just learn the limitations of the lathe & show your new turners how to work around or compensate for them. I never got frustrated with mine because I knew when I bought it that it was a low end lathe & I never expected more out of it than it is designed for.

campzeke

It appears to be the same as this one from Harbor Freight. If you us one of Harbor Freight's 20% off coupons you could save yourself a nice chunk of change.

I have the HF which is basically the same thing, I got it for $160 with the 20% off deal. My guess is they're made in the same factory only painted differently and a different badge put on before shipping. It was fine for small spindles but useless for bowls imo. I turned a small 4" and then a 5.5" bowl before the spindle bearing went bad (within 6 months of buying it). I think if I would have stuck to pens & shaving brushes it would have lasted longer. I use it as a buffer now with the PSI 4" wheels, it's holding up well and the small amount it's off doesn't matter. I have no intention of ever replacing the bearing.

sbwertz

My first lathe...have had it for 7 years now, and use almost daily. I have the bed extension so I can turn canes. I have a 12 inch swivel head, but use the Excelsior most of the time...I use the big one for drilling and sanding because it is variable speed and easier to change the speed for drilling and sanding. I bought the big one for bowl turning, but haven't had a chance to do much of that with it yet.

I've made a dozen or so canes with it, with no problem with alignment.

jmjvVzc9wW-3wA4zDpceAlxEYal7okVy7WAmjPcvA6wZIyS5K__bL3NA5cT_T7hbw3V6A_SSQ0rMc9KnrpJpWWgJgQ_g66q7QxgmBdDCbDHcrZfI-5DAXjy79p97KP3Zq0lsYcGa1PdkiGDvOSE7YgMoH9Gc_xPiNtezNzfxctBQi0hDqyY2jtinYyX1bqrwk5sGBYkZAqDKauSuetT526pctmdJVHDwSizJwoOOvrYJ_KC3O7nf5eOs-ILnpiwYEArGcqTpL6nKMjl7vmwQrBXS6DA4PH-lQuSzd1HW_Tj-uD0oaDy8g40YuzuujPIBWNjHA13I7CyOcgjzJ6ySlHHOeuiMmikpPgsqrZTV2xq67vuzVvteX8CsXxPnF3ZcUoRA4M1mZ_IlyrP2kbTqN4Codv4tNr83vn5-e6puYxaI-uXIuGbyG3Fprse8bj-wXpqfzbovQdUyrrXm71uJ2bjf63vxQxWd82c7aLT_HqeVO6UFF-z2OmYb1Xdf2bW2RyeXJ_cjwRX53U72J-JMywxvlcxzrG98_1QSej2YTNhn4kgL1IF0WaY-r6E6oMycDAArbUrlQiegs5EqxaAi9AXIz8wTBXbX4shkTVdyp5OPLz0_P4in=w1027-h734-no

Last edited:
Top Bottom