Oops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

terryf

Friend of mine is an avid Jack Daniels collector so when I saw a website full of JD blank pens I remembered that I too had a bag of JD blanks somewhere.

Anyways, I fished them out of one of the boxes, drilled, glued, squared and turned them. No problem so far.

575/475 on top, 460/530 at the bottom - and heres where it went pear shaped. I didn't check the instructions and having not turned for a few months got the two mixed up. Beautiful pen, just that its open and then opppeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnn :biggrin:

I'm not the first and I'm sure I won't be the last - always a lesson to be learnt, no matter how many you've turned.........blah, blah, etc, etc

I'm sitting here laughing at myself for being so stoopid, hope you're all laughing with me and not at me!! :biggrin::biggrin: (not that I mind you laughing at me)

Ps. Do these collaborative okes know what they're in for hahahahahaha :rain:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

yep...had a customer pick out a blank for a Sierra pen so I drilled and glued in a tube...for a cigar pen.

oops

BSea

You didn't specify, but based on the 4 different sizes, I guessing it's a cigar. What you might be able to do is use a secret compartment key chain. They use 10mm tubes.

Here's one of my cigar OOOPSes.
DinoKeyChain.jpg

I use 2 secret compartment key chain kits so I can have a keyring on each end. And they each unscrew, so it's great for when one of my kids wants to borrow my car. I just give them the end with the car keys.

EDIT: And another nice thing about this is that you can remove the ends & put back on the lathe between centers to polish again. They don't stay real shiny in your pocket with change & keys rubbing against the blank.

Last edited:

terryf

You didn't specify, but based on the 4 different sizes, I guessing it's a cigar. What you might be able to do is use a secret compartment key chain. They use 10mm tubes.

Here's one of my cigar OOOPSes.
DinoKeyChain.jpg

I use 2 secret compartment key chain kits so I can have a keyring on each end. And they each unscrew, so it's great for when one of my kids wants to borrow my car. I just give them the end with the car keys.

EDIT: And another nice thing about this is that you can remove the ends & put back on the lathe between centers to polish again. They don't stay real shiny in your pocket with change & keys rubbing against the blank.

I like the idea, thanks, although I think this one will stay on the desk as a reminder.

I didn't mention it but yes, its a cigar :)

jcm71

JUST DID A VARIATION OF THE SAME

Friend of mine is an avid Jack Daniels collector so when I saw a website full of JD blank pens I remembered that I too had a bag of JD blanks somewhere.

Anyways, I fished them out of one of the boxes, drilled, glued, squared and turned them. No problem so far.

575/475 on top, 460/530 at the bottom - and heres where it went pear shaped. I didn't check the instructions and having not turned for a few months got the two mixed up. Beautiful pen, just that its open and then opppeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnn :biggrin:

I'm not the first and I'm sure I won't be the last - always a lesson to be learnt, no matter how many you've turned.........blah, blah, etc, etc

I'm sitting here laughing at myself for being so stoopid, hope you're all laughing with me and not at me!! :biggrin::biggrin: (not that I mind you laughing at me)

Ps. Do these collaborative okes know what they're in for hahahahahaha :rain:

Just screwed up a beautiful spalted oak burl blank on a cigar. I turn between centers and did the top blank first. Somehow I reversed the center bushing when turning the top blank. 476/528 on top; 528/460 on the bottom. :redface: That keychain idea sounds pretty good right now.

thewishman

Our turning club did a casting demo, I was in a hurry to make the pen to show off my beautiful creation. Did the same thing you did. GGRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.:redface:

At least you'll remember not to do that again......until the next time.:at-wits-end:

Knock on green wood (or even an old rock hard dried up stump) (a couple raps to the side of the head)... but so far in 10 years of turning I've not mixed up the bushings on my cigars or any other pen that I can remember... 'course I have a pretty good case of CRS (can't remember s"tuff").... so I keep the instructions to every pen that I make in a notebook and always get them down and check myself to make sure I have the right drill bit, right bushing and right order when I put them together, otherwise, I'm sure I would have screwed up dozens of pens by now.... I've taken measurements on something, walked across the shop and forgotten the measurement, so I have to keep checking myself on this technical stuff....:biggrin:

Last edited:

terryf

Knock on green wood (or even an old rock hard dried up stump) (a couple raps to the side of the head)... but so far in 10 years of turning I've not mixed up the bushings on my cigars or any other pen that I can remember... 'course I have a pretty good case of CRS (can't remember s"tuff").... so I keep the instructions to every pen that I make in a notebook and always get them down and check myself to make sure I have the right drill bit, right bushing and right order when I put them together, otherwise, I'm sure I would have screwed up dozens of pens by now.... I've taken measurements on something, walked across the shop and forgotten the measurement, so I have to keep checking myself on this technical stuff....:biggrin:

The worst part is that the only instruction sheet on my workbench is the cigar lol

Its there because I always forget which two bushings go with which.

Mental note: longer barrel/smaller size bushings :biggrin:

Top Bottom