One more question.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I use paper towel, thin ca and blo. I find the thin ca goes on smoother than medium. It does require more applications to get the desired build up. I apply about 8 coats.

jcm71

I use a nitrile glove. Six or so drops of thin CA followed by six or so drops of medium. I only use accelerator after the last CA coat if at all. Works for me.

DJBPenmaker

You'll never get it smooth enough for a finish, that comes when you sand the cured CA smooth and polish it. I use small folded pieces of paper towel but a good quality one, then an initial coat of thin CA, then further coats of medium, never used the thicker​. You have to be very quick when you apply the CA, never linger more than 2 or 3 seconds.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TonyL

I use all of the above. I feel the foam wastes less CA because it looks like little is absorbed by the foam. I have absolutely zero scientific evidence to prove that. I have observed Ed S. use the Home Depot blue shop towels (comes in a box) and I did like they way it applied the CA. I probably use white paper towels 5 times to every 1 time I use foam. I use whatever paper towels my lovely wife buys - the smoking and non-smoking ones :).

Forget to add: I use two coats of thin and 5 to 15 coats of medium depending on the applicator.

Last edited:
I use all of the above. I feel the foam wastes less CA because it looks like little is absorbed by the foam. I have absolutely zero scientific evidence to prove that. I have observed Ed S. use the Home Depot blue shop towels (comes in a box) and I did like they way it applied the CA. I probably use white paper towels 5 times to every 1 time I use foam. I use whatever paper towels my lovely wife buys - the smoking and non-smoking ones :).

Forget to add: I use two coats of thin and 5 to 15 coats of medium depending on the applicator.

They make non-smoking paper towels!?! I guess the cheap ones that i get from BJ's Wholesale are just too cheap.

But i agree with all of the above, i do 5-6 coats thin CA, 2-3 medium with accelerator, then 2-3 more of thin to start the smoothing process. sand starting with 400 to 800 then micromesh, all the CA is just using paper towels.

I end up using about 2 full size paper towel per pen folded multiple times into a strip, that way it doesn't soak thru to my fingers (I'm too lazy to put on gloves).

Dehn0045

Piece of painters tape on finger, paper towel torn into 1/4 size then folded to 3/4" or so. I usually do 3 coats of thin CA by dribbling glue onto blank and wiping excess with the towel (500 rpm). Then 4 to 6 coats medium, small drop onto the towel then apply to the blank. Then a couple coats of thin applied to the paper towel first to smooth things out (work fast).

With open grains I have trouble with little pits (not sure if this is what might be troubling you too) and end up doing a lot of sanding and then extra coats of thin to try to fill in the holes. I am going to try putting on a couple coats of thin CA before turning to final size, hoping this will prevent the need for so much sanding.

magpens

To get it smooth, I HAVE to sand.

I use a 3" x 2" (approx) piece of blue towel, folded over lengthwise, and then backed with household Scotch tape (to prevent the glue soaking all the way through to my fingers).

I apply the thinnese CA I can get (no BLO) .... 5 or 6 coats.

I then sand to get a smooth surface.

Then repeat as often as I feel necesary.

I don't do pens now, but when I did, I applied one coat of thin to act as a sealer for the wood, then multiple coats of medium, usually between 5 & 8, with accelerator ever second or third coat... then wet sanded through the grits on the little pads PSI sold, don't remember what they were called... then one or two coats of plastic polish.

For an applicator I used the foam sheets that comes on electronics... cut into 1 x 2 inch squares... less waste of CA than using a paper towel... the CA will soak into the towel, but not the foam...

papaturner

Good Morning Sue. I have read all the post and did not see anything about speed( Could have missed it I`m old ). Slowing the speed of my lathe to the slowest speed smoothed my finish out better than anything I did. Of course you still need to sand but you can start at a higher grit and it goes much better. Hope this is a bit of help.

Don Rabchenuk

I have found that applying a ca and blo finish it goes on smoother but still requires sanding to get smooth prior to using mm to 12000. When using just ca I feel I get a glossier finish and more of a satin finish with ca and blo.

Top Bottom