Olivewood anyone?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

campzeke

Found an Olivewood cutting board in Marshells yesterday and decided to do some cutting on it. 6 blanks +/- 8" long and 1 about 3"long. Not too bad for $15.

Attachments

• 0126171440.jpg
    0126171440.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 232
  • 0126171440a.jpg
    0126171440a.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 0126171451.jpg
    0126171451.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Yes I have started doing the same thing. Looking at cutting boards. Mostly the grain has not been impressive or is too thin. But it is an idea for all.

robutacion

Found an Olivewood cutting board in Marshells yesterday and decided to do some cutting on it. 6 blanks +/- 8" long and 1 about 3"long. Not too bad for $15.

Stunning piece of Olive wood...!

I once was contacted by a small family company in the mountains of Italy that makes and sells many of the cutting boards and other items made of Olive wood. They use local Olive wood and they don't think most of it, in fact, they were using that same wood as firewood in that village, not that long ago but when someone decided to start making these boards and other stuff and start to have big orders, all of a certain the whole village (most related) are now producing these items in a small factory build for this purpose.

They saw me dealing/selling Olive wood blanks on the web and though that I was sourcing the wood from someone else so, they offer to supply me with it buy when I told what I really do and how I do it, never heard of them, again...!:frown:

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
when I told what I really do and how I do it, never heard of them, again...!:frown:

Cheers
George

Last year I got hooked up with a local retired tree cutter who collected wood... When I visited him, he was happy to simply give away extra stock - but I did pay him for select pieces.

That day his wife was burning in the fireplace whatever was handy and not needed...Desert Ironwood! :eek::eek::eek:

I did pay him for a few pieces, and said I would call back in a few days to come back for more if it was convenient. I did explain the cost of her "firewood". They have never returned my calls!

Firewood to them, $10.00 pen blanks to us.

TimS124

Very nice grain! The center blank looks like it could've been 11" long instead of an 8" and a 3"...that would let you cut it into two standard-length blanks (next time) if you wanted more long blanks. (I have some kits that work fine with the short blanks so please don't take that as a complaint or criticism...it was intended solely as an observation of what else could've been).

robutacion

when I told what I really do and how I do it, never heard of them, again...!:frown:

Cheers
George

Last year I got hooked up with a local retired tree cutter who collected wood... When I visited him, he was happy to simply give away extra stock - but I did pay him for select pieces.

That day his wife was burning in the fireplace whatever was handy and not needed...Desert Ironwood! :eek::eek::eek:

I did pay him for a few pieces, and said I would call back in a few days to come back for more if it was convenient. I did explain the cost of her "firewood". They have never returned my calls!

Firewood to them, $10.00 pen blanks to us.

Humm, I would pay them another visit, I wouldn't give up that easy...!:biggrin:

On the other hand, I have been on that boat, have you have tried to get an old Italian to sell you the Olive wood he always has as his main firewood..???:mad:

Cheers
George

SeahawkBeau

I was in an antique store one time and saw a burl mallet. Got it for 10 bucks and it turned out to be pin oak burl. I got about 18 pen blanks out of it. I tried to turn it but it needs to be stabilized first but it looks beautiful. I am always looking when I go to antiques stores or second hand shops, you never know what you might find.

robutacion

I was in an antique store one time and saw a burl mallet. Got it for 10 bucks and it turned out to be pin oak burl. I got about 18 pen blanks out of it. I tried to turn it but it needs to be stabilized first but it looks beautiful. I am always looking when I go to antiques stores or second hand shops, you never know what you might find.

Well, I tend to agree with you, one can really find some "treasures" or bet totally taken as a full, such in cases like this, if it looks too good to be true, it's probably because it isn't...!

No one is full proof, huh....?:biggrin:

Cheers
George

sbwertz

My husband was driving along and spotted some city workers trimming some branches of an olive tree away from the electrical wires. He stopped and they gave him four logs, about 6" in diameter and 18" long. We have a lot of old olive trees in Phoenix.

robutacion

My husband was driving along and spotted some city workers trimming some branches of an olive tree away from the electrical wires. He stopped and they gave him four logs, about 6" in diameter and 18" long. We have a lot of old olive trees in Phoenix.

Hi Sharon,

How old do you think those Olive three may be...? any pics of it?:)

Just curious...!:biggrin:

PS: Tree guys are generally pretty good at giving the wood they are cutting away unless, the tree owner has specified that he/she wants all the wood.

The tree guys that work for the councils don't mind giving you the usable wood, they even cut it to the lengths you want, if you are that before it get cut otherwise, most logs are cut about 1' long, maybe a little longer if they are not to wide.

sbwertz

Olives around here are mostly over 30 years old or so because they outlawed planting them in 1988 because so many people are allergic to the pollen. They sold "non pollinating" varieties for a while until they discovered mother nature just eventually reverts them back to pollinators!

They still sell them outside Maricopa County, though.

Last edited:

eharri446

eberlymerle96

Of course I couldn't bring any of it back, but how is this for a few olive trees??

Saw these in Jerusalem last June.... Awesome trees, these are most likely over 1500 years old...

Attachments

• smallEZRA-1108.jpg
    smallEZRA-1108.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 88

eharri446

Wouldn't you love to get your hands on one of those root balls at the bottom of the trunk. That should contain some awesome wood.

Top Bottom