Old Technology Still Does The Job - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2018, 11:43 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sataro View Post
Got off work & picked up a few groceries on the way home. While browsing the store I decided a bowl of frito pie sounded good. Started to open the cans of chili & irritation set in. Two can openers in the house & both broken.

Started looking for my old trusty P-38 can opener. Got out of the military back in 1982 & held onto that trusty P-38. Through the years it has come in handy several times...
Does it come with a speed loader?...Oh, you meant the other type of can opener.

Tomas
tomas is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-30-2018, 11:53 PM   #22 (permalink)

I still have mine from 1970 Ft Lenard Wood, and I use to collect the 4 pack of smoke from nonsmokers
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sataro View Post
Enlisted in Air Force in 76. Smokes were gone from the c-rats by then. At least we never found smokes in any c-rats.
One Marlboro cigartette was worth a 4 pack trade of Pall Mall or Camels. So a 4 pack of Marlboros would get you 4 packages of Pall Mall or Camels.
If I remember correctly, the Pall Malls came filter-less too. Where I was stationed we ran out of American Cigarettes so the c-rats were all that was left. I didn't smoke but I sure was able to trade a lot.
wolf creek knives is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #24 (permalink)

I did basic in ol' "Lost in the Woods" in 1974.... we had the C-rats on bivouac, they had the 4 packs of smokes, and they were packaged during WW2! Needless to say they were not great...
I still have my P-38, but I was thinking about every third C-Rats or so had one in them....is my memory failing me?

I always thought the cans of food weren't too bad, but maybe we were so hungry it just did't matter!

www.hallsphoto.com

Procrastinate Later
--Unknown Author

Last edited by moke; 12-31-2018 at 10:45 AM.
moke is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2018, 11:36 AM   #25 (permalink)

I didn't know it was called a P38, but I still have the military key chain can opener from my military days, 1960-1964... it would take a quest to find it right now, but I still have it.

If you look for trouble, it will find you!
TellicoTurning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2018, 12:52 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moke View Post
I always thought the cans of food weren't too bad, but maybe we were so hungry it just did't matter!
There was a science to eating C rats and liking them. Being a military brat, I had quite a few years of military type of "education" before I got there. A small skillet, preferably teflon coated, a bottel of Tabasco sauce, small container of mustard, a spice mix of garlic powder, chili powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, and some others. For the canned ham you saved your pineapple jelly ration to use as garnishment. The frank and beans, add a good dose of spice mix made it tasty, sort of like chili. Ham and eggs?, the green eggs, heating them along with a canned ham with extra pepper and a littel spice mix really improved the flavor.

The coffee was instant, but us Grunts created a Starbucks version before there was a Starbucks. A canteen cup of water heated with a heat tab, add 4 packages of instant coffee, all the creamer packs you could scrounge and pack of hot the hot chocolate ration. This concoction was enough for 2 people. One of my also carried items was a jar of instant coffee creamer, you could mix it with the grease from the canned ham ration and make a "reasonable facsimile" of creamed gravy to pour over those green ham and eggs rations, just add extra pepper and salt with some of the spice mix.

In Vietnam I was the senior NCO in my Platoon, so whne the chopper came in with our supplies I had the duty of dividing up the rations, but doing it fairly meant I chose just like the Private on the bottom of the pole. It wasn't the meal you got, it was all in the preperation.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2018, 02:23 PM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 10

In the Corps they’re known as John Waynes.
BURLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2018, 02:25 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 18

I have a half dozen p 38's & six P 51's here around the house.
I got them online from a surplus place.
My wife broke her "unbreakable" can opener a few weeks ago, the old p 51 saved our dinner that night.

My lathes:

Floor Lathe
Bench top lathe

Herb G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2018, 05:32 PM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtedesco View Post
Along with the P38 does anyone remember the 4 pack of smokes in the c-rats?
Only 4? That's what got me started back in '74. Winston's were great trading material. Was up to 4 packs a day when I quit.

Still have at least one of the many P38 I got with C-Rations.

Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.......

President Pikes Peak Woodturners - AAW Chapter
Mr Vic is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2018, 06:45 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moke View Post
There was a science to eating C rats and liking them. Being a military brat, I had quite a few years of military type of "education" before I got there. A small skillet, preferably teflon coated, a bottel of Tabasco sauce, small container of mustard, a spice mix of garlic powder, chili powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, and some others. For the canned ham you saved your pineapple jelly ration to use as garnishment. The frank and beans, add a good dose of spice mix made it tasty, sort of like chili. Ham and eggs?, the green eggs, heating them along with a canned ham with extra pepper and a littel spice mix really improved the flavor.

The coffee was instant, but us Grunts created a Starbucks version before there was a Starbucks. A canteen cup of water heated with a heat tab, add 4 packages of instant coffee, all the creamer packs you could scrounge and pack of hot the hot chocolate ration. This concoction was enough for 2 people. One of my also carried items was a jar of instant coffee creamer, you could mix it with the grease from the canned ham ration and make a "reasonable facsimile" of creamed gravy to pour over those green ham and eggs rations, just add extra pepper and salt with some of the spice mix.

In Vietnam I was the senior NCO in my Platoon, so whne the chopper came in with our supplies I had the duty of dividing up the rations, but doing it fairly meant I chose just like the Private on the bottom of the pole. It wasn't the meal you got, it was all in the preperation.
C-rats started my love of Tabasco sauce. I would ask my parents to ship it to me in the big bottles. When we didn't get mail my C-rats gotten eaten with my nose plugged. The only good ones I ever liked were the beans and weenies. The best part of the C-rat was the chocolate covered coconut thing, we called them hockey pucks they were hard as rocks...but really good to eat. Still love, and use way too much, Tabasco sauce on almost everything I eat. I just found out Costco doesn't carry the big bottle anymore, at least not here in Montana.
wolf creek knives is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads