OK time to take the plunge...kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
So you all talked me into it. Time to make a damascus kitless. Just a few questions. I would like to use bock. who should I get them from? I was thinking of the bock 250 in fine or the 220 in fine. I dont need clips or bands I'll just make those. and the 2nd question is when I make the section do I use all 3 parts of the nib or leave the housing off and use the feed and nib. Thx in advance this should be fun. I'm excited to try just need to order the nib and wait for the triple lead tap and dies to get here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

A couple of thoughts.

Regarding sourcing, I believe that the Bock market for the hobby has settled down pretty much to Classic Nib and Beaufort Ink. It seems that nobody stocks the 220 system (which is essentially a 5mm feed with a large nib that is close to the same size the same size as the 250.

I know that some here have installed the feed without using the housing. I for one have never given that a try, but am sure it must require machining to very close tolerances. With that said, if you intend to make your pen as a cartridge/converter, you will have to use the housing since the nipple is actually formed in two parts, one on the feed and one on the housing. Thus it won't be strong enough to pierce a cartridge or large enough to make a good seal--pure speculation on my part but it'e my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hope this helps.

Bill

A couple of thoughts.

Regarding sourcing, I believe that the Bock market for the hobby has settled down pretty much to Classic Nib and Beaufort Ink. It seems that nobody stocks the 220 system (which is essentially a 5mm feed with a large nib that is close to the same size the same size as the 250.

I know that some here have installed the feed without using the housing. I for one have never given that a try, but am sure it must require machining to very close tolerances. With that said, if you intend to make your pen as a cartridge/converter, you will have to use the housing since the nipple is actually formed in two parts, one on the feed and one on the housing. Thus it won't be strong enough to pierce a cartridge or large enough to make a good seal--pure speculation on my part but it'e my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Thx I just called clasic nib today and he is looking into what I want to see if it is available. I might have to learn german and buy direct, but then shipping will kill me. thx again

bmachin

Just to correct a mistake of mine. Both the 220 and the 250 fit on 6mm feed with the 250 being about .6mm larger in shoulder width.

In the interest of thoroughness I checked the dimensions of a JOWO 6mm nib, and found that it is very close to the Bock 250. I know that you seem to have pretty much settled on Bock in which case Beaufort has a semi-flex titanium which might look good with your Damascus.

Meisternibs has a black oxide steel JOWO which might be worth considering. They also have a ruthenium steel which is currently out of stock.

Just throwing alternatives out there.

Edit: One more Bock source, although I don't think it adds anything and it is probably a lot hardertouse:
http://translate.google.com/transla...d-europa.de/index.php?cPath=309_306&sandbox=1
Bill

Last edited:

theidlemind

Keep an eye on the "for sale" forum, I'm going to be listing triple start taps, dies, Bock nibs, feeds, Heritage nibs and a 12" stick of Damascus steel today

Last edited:
Top Bottom