ok... I was stupid... WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
A small log to break down a bit smaller so it will fit in the bandsaw.... no biggie. Grabbed the hatchet, sank it in the wood.. wood didnt split. Grab a hammer and begin to hit the back of the hatchet, shouldnt take more than a few whacks. Well I was right, about the 4th whack a small shard of metal about 3.2mm came off of the hatchet and ended up inside my eyeball. 3 emergency rooms and a week later I was finally able to have surgery to remove the metal, my right lense which it destroyed, and a large part of my cornea that it tore up on the way in. The docs are very hopeful with the recovery and plan to replace the lense in about 3 months if all goes well with healing. They said to replace it now with all the infection and inflamation would be useless. So I get to spend the next few months blind in my right eye and away from the shop for the most part. for the next couple weeks Im not even allowed to lift anything larger than a gallon of milk. The only thing I can see out of it is a sea of red with a large black bubble in the center of it that jiggles when I move my head. The bubble is some kind of gas they put in there to help the healing process.... told my dad at least Ill know when Im off level now...lol.

But seriously, it was one of those things where grabbing the glasses seemed like such a waste of time, it would have taken longer to grab them than it would have taken to split the wood. And now my decision has cost me at least 3 months of my life. And if I EVER have another mishap... I pray to the Gods that it doesnt involve my eyes. Ive had a gas can expload in my face, had a car fall of of ramps on top of me, flipped a truck, and fell down a 25ft flight of concrete stairs.... and I have NEVER!!!! EVER!!!!! felt pain like I did when they shoved those 4 needles into the back of my eye to deaden it. Trust me, if you havent had the pleasure yet... you REALLY dont want to. Take a few extra steps, use up a couple minutes, and grab those glasses!!! It may seem like a waste, and to be honest.... USUALLY it is. But the one time it wont be is the time youll end up like me, wishing I wasnt so lazy that I couldnt walk 20 ft.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
OUCH...

I have about 6 pair laying around different areas. This is one of those reminders as to why I buy extras. Thanks for the reminder and hopefully all heals better than expected!!!

el_d

Wow, Anything having to do with the eyes gives me the heebeejeebees. Sorry your going thru this but hope you get better soon.

ctubbs

There has been millions spent on the development of PPE for our safety. OSHA, as much as I complain about it, came about to force our employers to provide us a safe work place. That includes all the required safety equipment. I walk around on a peg for my left leg because I was stupid just for a second. Why must it always take a terrible incident to get the rest of us to spend that precious extra second to protect ourselves?

David, in no way am I belittling you over your accident. Thank you so very much for taking the time and effort to share your pain and suffering with us in the hope of preventing another of us from following in your footsteps.

Charles

nava1uni

I am sorry that this happened and thank you reminding the forum of the importance of being safe. I hope that the next few months go easily and that the lens replacement goes without any difficulty. I am glad that it can be repaired.

PTsideshow

Hope and pray for a full recovery! safety glasses/face shields are a must. Having had a piece of brass, sewing needle size in an eye 40 years, and not even doing shop work, just near a fan discharge I know the feeling.

I have since I started needing glasses for close up/reading only,All the glasses I get are safety glasses no fancy frames, I also ask that they give me the side shields. After they are used as the daily readers, and the new ones are coming I attach the shields and use them in the shop, have numerous pairs everywhere and in tool boxes and the truck in case I have to do something.

DSCF9931.jpg

DSCF9930.jpg

I also have some dust goggles that are great when sanding or doing other dust generating operations.
DSCF9473.jpg

DSCF9474.jpg

They have a foam seal, Enco has them on sale every so often.

A shop teacher once said in class remember, Your eyes are the last pair you get unlike teeth!
:clown:

Papa mark

Sorry to hear about the accident. I seem to use my saftey shield about half the time and now plan on using it more after seeing your story. I feel for you and wish you a speedy recovery, take care we will be thinking and praying for you.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Normally, if i read any of these stories by members it a quick scan, but for some reason I read all of this one, maybe because I am also so guilty of not using the proper eye protection...and honestly, it scares the he** outa me thinking something may happen to my sight..

...thanks for sharing, and wishing you a speedy recover...

paintspill

Thank you for sharing.
glasses are cheep, buy lots and keep them all over the shop.

on a side note. something i learned a long time ago. find a really comfortable pair so you will wear them more.

Justturnin

Ohh my, I hope you get well soon. I have done the exact same thing where I knew I should wear glasses but didnt. It is crazy how we can become complacent in the shop and think that one small task is not dangerous, well it is. Thanks for the reminder of how dangerous the smallest task can be. I still have my original shield from my face shield and it has a long crack in it from a HF blowing up and slamming me in my face. If I was not wearing it my nose would have been broken at the very least.

tdhove

Thanks for sharing your story as it serves as a great reminder for us all. Last week my neighbor was cutting some metal and did about the same thing. He has been to the Doc 3 times once to take out the metal, went back when the metal started to rust in his eye that was missed, and again to finish the job. This is one of the toughest guys I know and he said he blacked out from the pain. I wish you a speedy recovery and again thank you for posting your story, as I know I will be grabbing my safety glasses even for the smallest of tasks.
Troy

renowb

Sorry about your mishap David. I hope all goes well for you in your healing process. By the way, I am up the road in Spring. If you need anything, give me a shout.

The Penguin

reminds of the time my neighbor was edging has grass - and wearing safety glasses.

I razzed him a little about it since we're buds.

he said he didn't want to be "the guy" that went to the emergency room to get something removed from his eye...for the third time.

thanks for the reminder.

Timbo

I'm so sorry to hear that you had this mishap David. Thanks for posting as your reminder may keep someone else from a similar injury. I wish you a speedy and as complete a recovery as possible.

Just a quick note to let everyone know it looks like Im gonna be lucky this time. Had a doc appt this am and he is very happy with what he sees, all the infection is gone, very little inflamation and everything seems nice and clear. He said the stiches dont even seem to be causing any astigmatism, but we wont know the extent of that until they are removed. So hopefully I can heal up fast and get my new lense faster than the 3 months they were expecting.... great news!!! Yanno, when I made my new years resolution to see myself drinking, smoking, and carousing half as much... I REALLY should have been more specific.... lol

Parson

excellent reminder as so many others have said. I'll start using my goggles whenever I do something like you've described.

btw, the needles going into the back of the eye sold me.

patsikes

Thanks for sharing! I don't walk into the shop without glasses (keep them by the door in fact). I have been blind in my right eye since I was a child (brain tumor) so I take extra pains to keep what I have!

TerryDowning

Best safety poster I ever saw.
"
Safety Glasses = $10
Eye Surgery = Thousands of Dollars

Safety is a no brainer.
"

Not to mention, pain and recovery time. I always try to remember that face shield.

Haynie

My reminder to always wear my face shield was a chunk of acrylic up my nose. Hurt like hell coming out and caused a serious nose bleed. When they say things can get worse you don't really think about how then a story like this pops up. Glad to hear things are going better than anticipated.

Top Bottom